Author Topic: Will a "point" to the invasion be announced soon?  (Read 11937 times)

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Will a "point" to the invasion be announced soon?
« Topic Start: February 15, 2016, 01:37:05 AM »
Depending where you are on the island, you're prolly getting a completely different experience.

So far in the North, it seems to be a lot of "run back and forth squelching fires". I can see the life and death aspect of fighting the giant hordes in the south gives more to RP, but still it seems like "oh, you held out against that giant horde? ok, here's one twice the size"

I'm fine - think it's a fun idea - to have our backs to the wall, fighting till the last. But with no mortality, and no end game to figure out, it seems a bit repetitive.

Is there more coming, I hope?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Will a "point" to the invasion be announced soon?
« Reply #1: February 15, 2016, 03:18:15 AM »
I think quoting [and minor edits in brackets] the relevant section of the Big Announcement may be somewhat helpful:
2) Monster spawn and behavior on testing islands (Dwilight and Beluaterra) will change. Monster/undead travel will no longer be random. They will prefer to attack regions based on several regional characteristics, such as whether or not the region has a lord, occupied and/or vacant estates, fortifications, or militia.  When character-per-region density drops below a preset threshold, monster/undead spawn rates will increase [within rogue regions], and they will begin to actively seek out and take over regions. Once character-per-region density goes above the threshold, the monsters/undead will return to their normal spawn rates and behavior. For Dwilight, the majority of monsters will no longer be confined to the west.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:20:46 AM by Vita »

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 15, 2016, 03:26:41 AM »
So we should just give up & retreat to a smaller area? And then...never take back any more regions so we don't re-ignite the hordes. And then fight each other for the "allowed" amount of land, while traveling across wastelands?

Ok, I mean I guess that can be a fun thing too.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 15, 2016, 03:31:59 AM »
Alternatively, you could fight to keep your land while getting the beasts to eat your enemy's lands?

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 15, 2016, 03:33:46 AM »
I can take a guess at what you mean, but I'm not so sure it is realistic.

And would require immense OOC power-gaming to even think of - we need a few "clues" tossed in.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 15, 2016, 03:40:17 AM »
Well, it could be taken in a variety of ways. Simply, if you can keep your own regions, thats higher spawn rates that are also hitting your enemy regions, somewhat more effective if your enemy borders more rogue regions than yourself. More nefariously, Beluaterra has summoning scrolls that could be used against one's enemy to give one's enemy a much more difficult challenge than yourself.

Summoning scrolls on BT have both a local and a global spawn increase effect so there is some double-edged aspect. The stacks attacking IVF are probably comprised of a bit of the original rp event inhumans, regular spawns since, and summon scrolls meant to head to Riombara (which they did also somewhat hit) that headed the other direction instead.

Is that what you were looking for or did I misunderstood your direction?

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 15, 2016, 03:41:50 AM »
uh, yeah, but I meant In Game hints, not tell everyone the answer  ::)

the first is of course what we are doing for normal reasons. the second would need us to have some reason to pick up and go launch scrolls at them, when our chars don't realize there is a game mechanic determining things that should be a reason to do that, and our chars think beasts are bad so why make more beasts?

I guess something as simple as some Gold messages that RP that idea to characters, so to help them understand the beasts want x% of the island - now fight out who gets what
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:47:18 AM by Noone you know »

Zakilevo

« Reply #7: February 15, 2016, 04:18:42 AM »
Uh have you not seen a single person with their scrolls going off randomly?

We have a duke handing scrolls over like handing over candies. Now my character is carrying a half dozen scrolls.

Also, IVF is probably getting hammered because somebody from north came all the way south to burn all his scrolls...

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 15, 2016, 04:56:54 AM »
The actually daimonic invasion part was cut really short in Ar Agyr, because we super-wounded the demon leader and nothing else happened with that for about a week.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 15, 2016, 05:31:50 AM »
Uh have you not seen a single person with their scrolls going off randomly?

We have a duke handing scrolls over like handing over candies. Now my character is carrying a half dozen scrolls.

Also, IVF is probably getting hammered because somebody from north came all the way south to burn all his scrolls...

No, I haven't. Been carrying 9 of them for ages, no bad effects.

We experimented with scrolls before the invasion; they take 2 hours each, and didn't really add up to much effect

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
For the last year or so, I've realized scrolls haven't done what they advertise and have been making changes. Most of those changes other than the most recent (and I do intend a much-belated recent changes announcement sometime soon here...) are included in the various Recent Changes announcements. In other words, scrolls have more effect than before, though I do not know exactly when you last tested as to know the degree of 'more effect'.

And I guess its just as simple as you have not yet been hit by that feature, nor those of your realm (or they didn't share the info).

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Good to know. I guess my char will just "have a dream" telling him to go flatten realm X with his scrolls :-)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
My character previously decided that since they were using scrolls on us, that we'd return the favor. I think I've also had word of auto-firing scrolls, too.

But, also, I generally work on the assumption that my character knows how the world works, to a certain extent, and thus has some IC justification for how ooc mechanics govern their life. Various other people have put forward the same theory to different extents.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
My advy still hasn't gotten a single scroll.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I don't think advies find these. They mostly are handed directly to lords via a "we executed a witch in your region, and she had this" game event.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.