Author Topic: Netherworld  (Read 73730 times)

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Netherworld
« Reply #135: July 07, 2016, 09:51:16 PM »
Well...for those of you who aren't aware...there was some...interesting things happening around Reeds the last few days.

First a new Daimon artifact appeared in Reeds.

Then Jactosh and his Daimons came by for a visit.  First they attacked and used their range 5 archers to decimate the walls and militia.
Then a force of undead and monsters came in to soften them up more.
And then Jactosh came in for the killing blow.  It didn't work out for him so well.

Over the period of two days we hit him with multiple personal attack scrolls, opened a portal directly around him, and used the Daimon artifact to twist magic sent to support him.  The undead his priest Akkon summoned joined Nothoi to defend the city.  The walls of Reeds were completely repaired.  Jactosh's Daimon guards disappeared into the portal, and then Jactosh himself was surrounded and captured by our soldiers.

He rots now in the dungeons of Reeds while his lesser Daimon units flee from the area in every direction.

We had people in and out of Reeds roleplaying their parts of the events.  We had nobles and adventurers running around and describing what they saw.  It was the largest single roleplaying event I've seen in a decade of playing the game.  And it was easily one of the most wild events I've ever seen here.  Everyone who took part and roleplayed in the event brought it to life and made it fun.  AKA...congratulations to the players for helping make something amazing happen.

:)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #136: July 07, 2016, 10:14:20 PM »
I would encourage (perhaps on Roleplaying forum) someone to multiple someones to share all the relevant roleplays to the community.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #137: July 07, 2016, 10:34:10 PM »
Some minor points of mechanic or roleplay clarification.

First a new Daimon artifact appeared in Reeds.
FWIW OOCly, rediscovered item lost by a daimon, so new to you, but not new. That wasn't clear IC though, so I understand the interpretation.

Over the period of two days we hit him with multiple personal attack scrolls
To clarify some scroll usage, if someone is wounded when travelling (from say an Accident scroll), it will not stop the already-set travelling, but if someone loses their hours when travelling (from a Pain and Suffering scroll), they will have no hours to continue travelling until the next turn. This is how Jactosh kept travelling into Reeds when wounded in Zisswii and how he was captured in Reeds by overwhelming odds with no hours to travel out of the region.

opened a portal directly around him...Jactosh's Daimon guards disappeared into the portal
When eight portal stones are set in a circle, a portal does not necessarily open. It sets off a beam/column of light into the sky and an annoying humming/buzzing sound until Further GM Response (when a portal may be roleplayed opening). The black swirly bits on the map earlier in the year were actual, open portals. Most of the portal stone usages haven't necessarily opened a portal, but just caused some magical disturbance. When a portal is roleplayed opening by a GM, often it is closed in the same roleplay. BT's black-swirly portals were the exception. So Jactosh's guards were just killed by Daishi magic enhanced by an active portal stone circle, not portal disappearance.

We had people in and out of Reeds roleplaying their parts of the events.  We had nobles and adventurers running around and describing what they saw...Everyone who took part and roleplayed in the event brought it to life and made it fun.  AKA...congratulations to the players for helping make something amazing happen.
I strongly recommend more of this, in general, but also when using portal stones. Roleplaying your actions, motivation, scene etc. help when responding to events in addition to whatever local flavor already exists in the region description, estate names, recruitment centers, local temples, local history etc. While I would emphasize that you should expect unpredictability with portal stones in regard to your motivation, the more we can play off of what the player is doing instead of spinning something out of thin air, the better. I have been trying to involve religion in more portal events recently as well, in an 'appeal to the divine' sense. That sometimes backfires with being connected to a less benevolent divinity. Also, by continent. Generally, BT will get the most unusual, magical events. Lesser so, Dwilight. Colonies less than Dwilight. EC with the least unusual/magic events, relatively speaking, usually more along the lines of more mundane disturbances that could be explained within a medieval milieu of superstition. And to take it back to recommending more roleplay in-general - in all our busy schedules, taking time to write 2-5 sentences with an amusing twist on some regular BM event/text, can be a lot more effective than a long narrative. Some of my most fond BM memories are funny interpretations of everyday events, more than any Drama or Epic.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #138: July 07, 2016, 11:12:05 PM »
definitely agree with the last point. since most of my bm time is now taken by general/marshal duties on different chars a few sentences of rp here and there is about all i can manage when inspired to write anything. i think even if its just a couple quick sentences it still adds depth and meaning to your characters and ingame events.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #139: July 07, 2016, 11:36:05 PM »
The beam of light and rambling old men in Fronepu have been silent for that last several days. Though at the same time I'm not too bothered by not having doomstacks spawned right on our borders.

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #140: July 08, 2016, 01:45:14 AM »
I too agree with Vita's last post.
Short bursts of RP can sometimes provide far more content that long drawn out ones (and activates the readers imagination far more). In todays climate where most people have very little time to spare, short RP's are more likely to be read and even replied to. Some long RP's I put to one side thinking 'Ill read that later when I have some time', often never coming back to them and missing out.
"...Together We Stand, Divided We Fall!..." -- 'Hey You', Pink Floyd

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #141: July 08, 2016, 07:43:15 AM »
I would encourage (perhaps on Roleplaying forum) someone to multiple someones to share all the relevant roleplays to the community.

I've recorded Rania's and Valhael Mayhem's parts on her wiki. Didn't want to loose any of it this time. There was so much else that I thought it best to just focus.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #142: July 22, 2016, 07:46:28 PM »
You have just been imprisoned in the realm of Netherworld.

Crap on a stick.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #143: July 29, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »
Tumtumtuuum

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #144: August 08, 2016, 09:08:23 AM »
And now thousands of daimons are attacking Reeds.

They are cavalry.

All of them.

By Daishi, it's like watching a ravening pack of poodles trying to climb a smooth wall to get to the treats on the other side...

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #145: August 08, 2016, 09:13:50 AM »
Great, my character almost dying. Seriously wounded 2 times in one same battle. Haven't recover enough to see any messages much. Healer tents are doing good business during Netherworld attacks, maybe Healer should charge more gold for their services. I even hear they doing operations recently too, which is kind of modern term to me ::)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #146: August 08, 2016, 11:21:33 PM »
A metric ton of Daimons (3604 Wild Ravening Daimons led by Aletha, 1932 Wild Ravening Daimons, and 10 Daimonic Chickens) attacked Reeds. It didn't end so well for Aletha.

Aletha has been wounded by Fat Cops (35).

Aletha has been wounded by Grey Militia (38).

Aletha has been wounded by Blood Crows (20).

Aletha has been killed by Thunderspoons (60).

Aletha has been killed by Thorad (59).

Aletha has been killed by Daimon Fodder (25).

Aletha has been killed by The Terrible Double Dozen (58).

Zakilevo

« Reply #147: August 08, 2016, 11:24:39 PM »
How many men died on Nothoi's side?

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #148: August 09, 2016, 12:06:19 AM »
How many men died on Nothoi's side?

Considering all the Daimons were cavalry? Not much probably.

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #149: August 09, 2016, 12:10:09 AM »
More than should have, truth be told. The infantry has been insisting on hopping off the walls to fight for some reason lately. Other than that, it's been arrows all day. The Daimon units are all cavalry so they don't climb the walls, so those of us with archer units just sit up there and rain down on them until the battle is called indecisive. We don't take any damage at all.

Wild Ravening Daimons (3), Wild Ravening Daimons (2), Wild Ravening Daimons (7), Wild Ravening Daimons (8), Wild Ravening Daimons (5) and Wild Ravening Daimons (4) keep their distance to the fortifications, waiting for other troops to breach them first.
Wild Ravening Daimons (9) and Wild Ravening Daimons (6) canter up and down helplessly in front of the fortifications, waiting for friendly troops to breach them.
Daimonic Chickens (1) scale the fortifications (reduced combat effectiveness for this turn).