Author Topic: Netherworld  (Read 72436 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Netherworld
« Reply #15: March 03, 2016, 08:36:06 PM »
It should be fairly clear to people who have been paying attention to the recent events in and near Xinjin what is needed.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 04, 2016, 04:01:48 PM »
*Wimpie goes for the bell*
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 08, 2016, 06:39:29 AM »
You put the portal stones into a magic circle. They lock into place and magic flows. Nothing obvious happens for a long while...
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 08, 2016, 10:10:26 PM »
A Portal Assisted   (6 hours, 50 minutes ago)
message to everyone in the vicinity of Haffemet
Mel looked down from the hill she stood on, near the northeast border of Haffemet. Being well into the foothills of the central Beluaterra mountains, she could see quite a long way across the plains. She could also be seen, but not easily accessed. That was probably for the best, depending on how this went.

Taking the eight portal stones out of her backpack, she set about arranging them in a ring. When it was complete, she sat back and waited for something to happen.

"Something" happened fairly quickly: the stones hummed, glowed, and sang, shooting a spear of light to the heavens. After that, things were quiet for a while.

Several hours later, though, there came drifting out across the land from the southeast the distant echoes of a great bell being rung. At the same time that Mel heard that, the portal stones began to shiver and crackle with energy. Soon, they rose from their bed in the dirt on top of the hill and began to spin, forming a disc of light.

It soon became clear that something wasn't quite right, though, when the disc didn't turn upright or open into a proper portal. Then another peal echoed from the south, and all of a sudden the portal snapped open—hanging six feet off the ground, almost right over Mel's head.

As she scrambled backward, something started to fall out of the portal. Several somethings, actually—dark shapes that landed easily on too many legs, glance briefly at Mel, then skittered off down the hill.

Before more than a few dozen of them emerged, however, the portal flickered, then tilted down on one side, spinning crazily around an axis no longer perpendicular to its disc. After a few moments more, one of the stones simply fell out of the portal, crumbling to dust as it hit the ground, and the rest suddenly flew off in all directions.

One of them struck Mel in the head, and darkness claimed her for some time.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 15, 2016, 09:00:46 AM »
Yup...

Now we have to put together an army capable of beating the Daimons...then destroy the temple, and THEN use portal stones to close the portal.

Hopefully.

Maybe.

Assuming there are no extra curve balls thrown...

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 15, 2016, 10:34:37 AM »
Both the Fronen and Thal armies just teleported to Fronepu when moving into Xerus, which has a fresh portal.

Quite the curve ball. :)

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 15, 2016, 12:40:08 PM »
RIP Fronepu's fortifications. They have floated away over the sea.

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 15, 2016, 08:45:53 PM »
RIP Fronepu's fortifications. They have floated away over the sea.

Not so much over the sea as into Djembe...

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 16, 2016, 12:33:11 AM »
As the fortifications rose into the clouds and further from sight, the portal flipped back towards a horizontal direction, pointing upward at the floating fortifications above. And then began gradually shifting vertically once more, remaining pointed at the fortifications as they now flew southeastward towards Djembe, as if the portal was guiding or tracking the flight path of the flying fortifications, until they were visible no more.

Djembe certainly is not south or east from Fronepu. Silly Anaris.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 16, 2016, 12:38:08 AM »
'Twaren't me that time.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 16, 2016, 12:43:52 AM »
GMs make mistakes too. Maybe it went southeastward first to catch a sea jetstream that then took it up and back across to Djembe. Or maybe everyone was disoriented about directions after the worst earthquake in city history.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 16, 2016, 03:55:52 AM »
obviously a force like that took it all the way around the globe and it fell into Djembe by entering from the Northwest

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 16, 2016, 08:32:02 AM »
So...I guess it's official...the GMs aren't going to allow the human realms to unite and fight the Daimons.

They just teleported a Thalmarkin army marching to support the alliance of men from Xerus to Fronepu.

And then they ambushed a Nothoian army on the march to join up with said alliance of men with 400 range 5 daimon archers.  That somehow become the defenders in a region that was held by the undead until the moment they showed up.

This reminds me of the time when the players of every nation on the continent built a grand alliance of men with a 100k (or so) CS army and marched it all the way to the northwest mountains to assault a daimon stronghold...only to be ambushed by something like 200K CS Daimons that had either not existed or had not been moving in scouting reports up to the moment the turn changed...

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 16, 2016, 09:28:32 AM »
That is exactly why it isnt odd at all to worship the daimons like gods.

Every invasion, people complain about the near impossibility of stopping an invasion.
Invasions happen on Beluaterra and its inevitable that it will destroy a few realms.

I personally enjoy them and enjoy the political aftermath perhaps just as much.
Hopefully the peasant population wont be entirely depleted again when this is over though...
It used to take forever for regions to restore from the mass rogue/daimon genocide, that made the aftermath quite boring.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 16, 2016, 05:11:51 PM »
So...I guess it's official...the GMs aren't going to allow the human realms to unite and fight the Daimons.

They just teleported a Thalmarkin army marching to support the alliance of men from Xerus to Fronepu.

And then they ambushed a Nothoian army on the march to join up with said alliance of men with 400 range 5 daimon archers.  That somehow become the defenders in a region that was held by the undead until the moment they showed up.

This reminds me of the time when the players of every nation on the continent built a grand alliance of men with a 100k (or so) CS army and marched it all the way to the northwest mountains to assault a daimon stronghold...only to be ambushed by something like 200K CS Daimons that had either not existed or had not been moving in scouting reports up to the moment the turn changed...

What, on a continent where entire realms are supposed to be destroyed by invasions, the Daimons sometimes *gasp* surprise you? Please get realm. Beluaterra isn't about "winning" the invasion, it is about surviving it until the point comes where the GMs start giving you tools to fight back , a la the Temples of Light.