Author Topic: Bored  (Read 13139 times)

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Bored
« Topic Start: June 15, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »
This game has  got me so bored latly.The bigest I say would be too much focus on game mechanics and too litle focus on roleplay.Plenty of so called IC mesages sound a lot like OCC mesages.Game mechanics are not intresting at all.Am tired of hearing words like CS,settings,persantege and other stuff like that all over the place.Sometimes all you get is system mesages. 

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Bored
« Reply #1: June 15, 2011, 12:42:04 PM »
This game has  got me so bored latly.The bigest I say would be too much focus on game mechanics and too litle focus on roleplay.Plenty of so called IC mesages sound a lot like OCC mesages.Game mechanics are not intresting at all.Am tired of hearing words like CS,settings,persantege and other stuff like that all over the place.Sometimes all you get is system mesages.

While I understand some people's frustration with the use of technical stuff, sometimes you just want to get a clear message across and don't have the time to !@#$ around and write nice fluff text. Because whenever you don't use these terms, there *will* be people who don't understand. It's just the simplest way to explain certain facts.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 15, 2011, 01:12:47 PM »
 Anyway, I don't need game mechanics explained in IC mesages.That's what OCC is for. Plus, it sounds too much like system mesages.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 15, 2011, 01:16:52 PM »
Anyway, I don't need game mechanics explained in IC mesages.That's what OCC is for. Plus, it sounds too much like system mesages.

You mean OOC?

Region stats are already 'fluffed', using words to describe production, loyalty, morale and control. Why not expand that into other things? For instance, use 'weak, average and strong' to describe bands of monsters in scribe reports?

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 15, 2011, 01:20:58 PM »
Yes, that would be nice.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #5: June 15, 2011, 02:53:31 PM »
That might help the flavor, but will certainly do no favors to BM as a strategy game. Are some of us forgetting that BM is as much a strategy game as it is a roleplaying game? There will always be a conflict to get the right balance of both genres, but I'm pretty sure making everything too descriptive with no reliable way to make even semi-precise estimate is going to lead to lots of people going "this combat system sucks! (more than it already does!)"

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 15, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »
There some people who play for the mechanics without saying a word.It feels so unfrendly.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #7: June 15, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »
Most of those people wouldn't say a word even if the mechanics got changed from left brain to right brain. That'll just make most of them leave to play another game where they can continue to powergame numbers with a calculator in hand.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 15, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
BattleMaster requires both style of play to remain a viable game. If it was changed to pure RP, or pure strategy, it wouldn't be BattleMaster anymore. The mix of the two styles, and the appropriate balance between them, is what makes the game different.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 15, 2011, 04:54:42 PM »
The mix of the two styles, and the appropriate balance between them, is what makes the game different.

And has that balance been reached?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 15, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »
And has that balance been reached?
Honestly, I'm not sure. What do you think?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #11: June 15, 2011, 05:32:29 PM »
Honestly, I'm not sure. What do you think?

I would like to see more combat, including combat features. Here's a couple of suggestions, not sure how hard they would be to implement.
I would like for my troops to field standoff siege engines, such as catapults and ballistas (ballistae?), that damage walls from a distance.
I would like, on dwilight at least with its ring regions, to be able to have a good chance to interdict food supplies and starve a city.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 15, 2011, 05:39:20 PM »
I would like to see more combat, including combat features. Here's a couple of suggestions, not sure how hard they would be to implement.
I would like for my troops to field standoff siege engines, such as catapults and ballistas (ballistae?), that damage walls from a distance.
I would like, on dwilight at least with its ring regions, to be able to have a good chance to interdict food supplies and starve a city.

Tim was actually talking about both those possibilities with me the other week, so it's not pie in the sky, but as always, the bottleneck is coding.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 15, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »
It all depends on which realms you're in. There are some where numbers crunching is the number 1 national pastime, and there are others where you'll get a ton of RP. If one realm isn't to your liking, there's dozens of others you can try out.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 15, 2011, 05:58:52 PM »
Well,anyway, mechanics are not that complex.It's all about who has the most CS to throw at the enemy and who can recruit faster.