Author Topic: Side project, looking for feedback  (Read 8774 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Side project, looking for feedback
« Topic Start: March 05, 2016, 10:04:01 PM »
Learning German? Here is the pilot episode of something I'm trying to make learning German more easy. Please help me make it better by checking it and commenting:
https://youtu.be/OTcqrrtFrA8

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Side project, looking for feedback
« Reply #1: March 14, 2016, 09:06:42 PM »
Not actively learning German, but its one of the languages I've dabbled in since a child. And I enjoy linguistics in general.

I watched this a few days ago, quite enjoyed it, and would probably enjoy more. I wish I had more constructive feedback, but I suppose positive feedback is at least encouraging.

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: March 14, 2016, 09:14:08 PM »
I wonder why Tom chose Fall over other words.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 14, 2016, 09:45:43 PM »
Got to start somewhere.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 15, 2016, 08:07:00 AM »
I watched half of it, actually, last week. I'm from Belgium myself but only got like 1hour a week German for 1 year in school a long time ago.

I stopped in half because I felt we were going into detail so very fast (well, it's the setup of course, to start from specific words and dig into them), that I couldn't follow anymore.

But truth been told, I've never been the most linguistic guy anyway. So it's probably why I lost interest sooner than others.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: March 17, 2016, 02:15:31 AM »
Not actively learning German, but its one of the languages I've dabbled in since a child. And I enjoy linguistics in general.

I watched this a few days ago, quite enjoyed it, and would probably enjoy more. I wish I had more constructive feedback, but I suppose positive feedback is at least encouraging.

Absolutely, yes. I need to know if it's worth putting more time into this or if nobody cares.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: March 17, 2016, 02:16:15 AM »
I watched half of it, actually, last week. I'm from Belgium myself but only got like 1hour a week German for 1 year in school a long time ago.

I stopped in half because I felt we were going into detail so very fast (well, it's the setup of course, to start from specific words and dig into them), that I couldn't follow anymore.

Would it have helped you if it had been slower? Where and how?

Zakilevo

« Reply #7: March 17, 2016, 05:50:18 AM »
My mother majored in german. Although she forgot many things, she quite enjoyed your video :D

Wish there were more pictures though. Then again, it is hard to put pictures with words like 'fall'.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:36:44 AM by Zakky »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: March 17, 2016, 08:24:06 AM »
Yes, I see that as well and I wanted to put pictures, but I would need an illustrator for that as my drawing skills are pathetic.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 17, 2016, 02:30:27 PM »
Would it have helped you if it had been slower? Where and how?

Well it's a choice to start explaining German by taking words and start from there (as you explained). But these are not like standard words you are taught first when learning a language.

I was just wondering, okay so suddenly we're writing in capital letters, what and how with the umlaut (¨), what about a simple sentence?

But that's just me looking for the more traditional way of learning a language. And doing that would probably make it one of the many, which I don't think you were looking for.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 17, 2016, 05:25:32 PM »
I don't see it much as a 'learning German as a language' video, but a 'learn an aspect of German in-depth'. I guess it would be geared to people who have a fundamental grasp of German, usually.

And weird nuts like myself that enjoy learning about words. And remembering to use a couple phrases that amused me.

There are already lots of 'learn to speak German' videos around. I think Tom is trying to do something different.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 26, 2016, 11:38:19 AM »
Apart from a few simple words I know no German. I did find the video interesting, as it explains the construct and variations of the language, but I don't know how that would work for learning the language if you are completely new.

Interesting, definitely, but would need to do some basic introductions to German first (or make it clear it's not for beginners) for more people to pick it up.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: March 28, 2016, 11:23:16 PM »
Yeah, it's not a "German 101" course. But thanks for the feedback, it means to me I need to be much more clear what I want. That my target audience is people who are already learning german and want some additional help aside from their books or lessons.

I also would like to make the relations between the words more graphical, I just didn't have the time and I haven't found the proper tool yet to visualize it the way I would like to have it.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 18, 2016, 03:40:50 AM »
I just spent some inquiring into the forms of lassen, starting with verlassen. It's a bit fuzzy, but I think I got the gist. If you felt up to it, I'd be interested in watching a video on the lassen forms as you explained the fallen forms.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: May 18, 2016, 07:10:49 AM »
Could be interesting, true. I'll make a note of it and whenever I return to this project, check it out. Right now I am checking which of my many projects find the interest of people, because I'm not doing them for 10 watchers.