Author Topic: anti-takeover exploit  (Read 5525 times)

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
anti-takeover exploit
« Topic Start: March 22, 2016, 06:44:40 AM »
changing duchy or region allegiance to prevent a to should be stopped immediately by any means.

the fact that a dev is using such an exploit is profoundly disappointing.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Skirting boards

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: anti-takeover exploit
« Reply #1: March 22, 2016, 07:54:56 AM »
I dont like it sometimes either but I dont know if I would call it an exploit.

Its not unfathomable that in midieval times a lord would changes his allegiance to save his region/own skin.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 22, 2016, 08:09:15 AM »
Excuse me? To prevent a TO? I had already planned to change allegiance well before Perdan City flipped back to me from Eponllyn. In fact, I had been delaying for my own reasons, but it was actually events related to Meuse that precipitated the allegiance change, not Perdan City. Not everything is a master conspiracy out to get you.

I do agree that there needs to be better TO handling with ducal changes and there's been a TODO comment in the code since the last time I made improvements to TO handling with allegiance changes (which was to only allow lords to change allegiance to the TOing realm of their region). However, there's been no volunteer dev whose taken the time to handle that yet. Not everything is a conspiracy so much as just limited volunteer effort. Maybe don't jump to nefarious assumptions of other people all the time.

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: March 22, 2016, 08:28:46 AM »
Don't forget you have 2 weeks to perform a TO. Also, you can make other realms to banish the duke. There are many ways to deal with it until the dev team solves the issue. People should have seen this coming the moment Oligarch abandoned Southern Eponllyn.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 22, 2016, 09:57:37 AM »
changing duchy or region allegiance to prevent a to should be stopped immediately by any means.

the fact that a dev is using such an exploit is profoundly disappointing.

I thought code was already in place to prevent an allegiance change once a TO started? Or did this change to the realm doing the TO?

This was marked as a definite exploit elsewhere - search the forums.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:25:26 AM by Noone you know »

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 22, 2016, 11:05:16 AM »
I think it was only region. You cant change regions allegiance while TO is going, but duchy you can.

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 22, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
Yes. Some time ago, I made it so lords can only change allegiance to the realm TOing their region, when there is a takeover. I think this has been around a couple years now. There's never been anything to handle duchy changes, though there remains a TODO comment about it.

And yes, as Zakky points out, there are 2 weeks before one can change allegiance. And I know it was 2 weeks ago, 5-7 days ago, meaning you had 3 weeks to finish the TO. I hadn't even appointed anyone to the city since it rejoined us from Eppy (though not from lack of trying), meaning it could have been bought by anyone. I had intended to keep delaying until I was a landless duke, but events with Meuse prompted the move.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 22, 2016, 03:53:09 PM »
Well, it's a big city. And the TO system is VERY time consuming.

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: March 22, 2016, 04:46:06 PM »
I wish regions would change their allegiance less. They are doing it way too often I feel. Wish there was also 2 week limitation on region revolts as well.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 22, 2016, 04:47:32 PM »
Examples?

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: March 22, 2016, 05:56:58 PM »
Examples?

Like buying Perdan only to see it switch to Oligarch a turn later? I think it is a bit too extreme.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 22, 2016, 08:12:53 PM »
this is the first time i have ever called out another player for this kind of thing, so i dont get the "all the time" comment, nor do i consider one person's actions a conspiracy. i see this as an exploit and an unrealistic game mechanic as it currently stands.

maybe make it so once a to is started, it can be continued regardless of realm changes and the diplomacy changes that follow. this is much more realistic - while medieval lords could pledge allegiance to other figures as a means of protection, that doesnt mean that an army on their lands needed to stop fighting/looting/conquering.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: March 22, 2016, 08:14:24 PM »
this is the first time i have ever called out another player for this kind of thing, so i dont get the "all the time" comment, nor do i consider one person's actions a conspiracy. i see this as an exploit and an unrealistic game mechanic as it currently stands.

maybe make it so once a to is started, it can be continued regardless of realm changes and the diplomacy changes that follow. this is much more realistic - while medieval lords could pledge allegiance to other figures as a means of protection, that doesnt mean that an army on their lands needed to stop fighting/looting/conquering.

That would be the most simple solution but is it doable? Maybe TO should disable allegiance change of the duchy as well.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 22, 2016, 08:15:54 PM »
No; TO should just disable allegiance change of the region.

If the Duke changes allegiance of his Duchy, the region should either auto-default to another duchy within its previous realm, or auto-surrender.

If it's a single-region Duchy, that's when it should prevent the Duke from changing. Possibly also when there isn't another Duchy within the realm for the region to go to.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: March 22, 2016, 08:46:35 PM »
No; TO should just disable allegiance change of the region.

If the Duke changes allegiance of his Duchy, the region should either auto-default to another duchy within its previous realm, or auto-surrender.

If it's a single-region Duchy, that's when it should prevent the Duke from changing. Possibly also when there isn't another Duchy within the realm for the region to go to.

Auto surrender sounds good.