Author Topic: Retention Revisited  (Read 130520 times)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Retention Revisited
« Topic Start: June 18, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »
An interesting read, but kind of depressing. I have the feeling, at least in Ibladesh, that we attract enough new players but that we are not capable of making them stick around. I try my best as mentor to offer them all the help they need but I have the feeling that many new players just quit the game after they took a first few looks at it (maybe logged in a few times, then gave up).

If we wish to keep more new players, a friendlier form of "new player policy" should be introduced. By this I do not mean that new players are flamed upon (on the contrary), but that they simply get lost in the complexity of Battlemaster. The single thing I recall, when I began playing battlemaster, was storming into a Falasian army on my own (being a part of Eston). In retrospect that was utterly stupid but it should give an idea to what new players are up.

A more thorough "introduction" to Battlemaster would be nice to make more new players stick around. I know, there are always people that will leave, no matter how much you help them... Nevertheless, I was thinking of a thorough tutorial when you join the game, or even a small realm/mini-island/? in which new players would be guided by a few experienced players to learn the ropes of the game, and where they can get the full attention without being lost in the complexity of a rather large realm.

Another idea just came to me, too: a video tutorial (youtube?) in which someone explains the basics of Battlemaster, and takes the viewer in, say, a 5 minute trip through the game in which he explains certain aspects and gives several tips of do's and don'ts.

Anyway, I'm all up for helping out new players, including working on a (larger) project to ease their welcome into BM. Because after all, this game is magnificent, and I want everyone to enjoy it as much as I do.
Ardet nec consumitur.