Author Topic: Retention Revisited  (Read 129191 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Retention Revisited
« Topic Start: June 18, 2011, 08:34:01 PM »
And do either of you have anything substantive suggesting that EC and Atamara players are worse at welcoming new people?

Because there are pretty big differences between some of the continents in that data. Some continents are not suffering, or at least not nearly as much. We have some continents that are succeeding (Dwilight). We should figure out why, IMHO. Maybe Dwilight people are just better at welcoming newcomers? Unlikely, since Beluaterra has no newcomers at all (which is demonstrated in activity statistics, btw: Beluaterra reliably had the most active player populace, except for its "very active" rate plummeted recently it seems).

While no doubt better tutorials would help retention, I personally think most of the people who leave because of the learning curve will leave almost no matter what. My main worry is people who stay for a month, maybe two or three, then leave. Because those are the people we really should have and could have gotten, and I wonder why it seems like some continents are so much better/worse at sustaining themselves.

Helpful data would be:
1. Data on where new players start their first character or two.
2. Data on the average "account lifespan" of each continent.
3. Data on "per capita" amount of players with accounts <6 months old on each continent.
4. Data on deletion rates of accounts between 2 and 12 months old on each continent.
5. Data on average "account age" for position-holders on each continent.

Can process #5 myself for Dwilight, FEI, and Beluaterra, but it'll take a long time.

Good thing it's a gloomy day outside! Time for some more spreadsheets...
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner