Author Topic: Retention Revisited  (Read 130701 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Retention Revisited
« Reply #450: December 21, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »
I'm sort of new to these kinds of forums so could you just please answer my question? :C

First:

As Jens says, "losing" fame is, in at least 99% of cases, caused by the cleanup scripts recalculating your fame number based on the actual fame points you have achieved. This means that the number you have now is what you were supposed to have all along, but something glitched and gave you some extra.

Second:

If you have questions or problems, please post them in the Helpline forum. That is what it is there for. Please do not be afraid to create a new thread with a question. We will be happy to answer it, and it won't get drowned out by people talking about the original topic of another thread—or drown out the original topic itself, which is generally considered bad forum etiquette.  :)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
« Reply #451: January 10, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »
I know it's terribly uncool to revive old dead topics, but I still think this is important. I'd love to have answered a survey on Luria Nova after 3-4 days I joined. Or another one when I reach 100 days.

Did this go anywhere?

Also, it's always too sad when you realize an amazing friend started playing again and deleted when you weren't paying attention. :(
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #452: January 10, 2013, 05:01:05 PM »
I know it's terribly uncool to revive old dead topics, but I still think this is important. I'd love to have answered a survey on Luria Nova after 3-4 days I joined. Or another one when I reach 100 days.

Did this go anywhere?

No; unfortunately, this, and much else, got shelved due to work on the Doctrine Transition.

We will finish that at some point, though (promise!), and this will be one of the important things on our list then.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #453: January 10, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »
I figured I'd throw in my two cents. I was one of those people who started and then quit (although that was about 5 years ago). I recall immediately falling in love with the atmosphere of the game. I kept playing for about a year, but I lost interest. From what I remember, it felt too much like I was playing a faceless pawn. That was more my fault than other players, as I never tried to RP or create backstory or anything fun. Following your generals orders in war is interesting at first, but loses flair after awhile.

I came back to it on a drunken night a month or so ago. Started a character in Dwilight and EC. In Dwilight I got sucked in pretty good by the dynamic of churches, daimons, and randomly picking a town that was about to secede. It got me interested to figure out what was going on and I've been going through the Wiki like it's a fantasy novel. If there was a wiki back then with the amount of backstory there is now, I must have missed it. That and trying to immerse myself in RP, politics, and trying to create a story make me feel like I'm probably going to stick with BM this time.

Being invested (in a new realm, a power struggle, or creating a story) was what felt missing last time. I don't remember why I chose where I put my characters (probably arbitrary reasons), but Dwilight sucked me in. EC was dead at the time (peace and silence), but after getting sucked in by one continent it made me want to kick up a fuss and MAKE the other continent lively.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Thalryn

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #454: January 11, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
but after getting sucked in by one continent it made me want to kick up a fuss and MAKE the other continent lively.

That ^

Totally agree and felt / feel the same way, though I'm not one for kicking up much of a fuss yet. I figure that comes with playing for enough time and getting bored of the status quo.

But anyways, the key to sticking around for me was IRC. Probably would have stopped playing already without the server and I only started playing a little over a couple weeks ago. Why? Probably because I would've felt either purposeless or overwhelmed. Purposeless in Atamarra and overwhelmed with all the hullabaloo in Dwilight.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #455: January 11, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »
I agree about making an effort to shake things up. It just isn't always easy. Knowing the right buttons (not real buttons) to push can be a challange unless you are a 10 year veteran. I am working at it though!