Author Topic: Alpha Client Feedback  (Read 37401 times)

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
Alpha Client Feedback
« Topic Start: April 01, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »
So, downloaded client, all looks good.

First thing, clicking login gives an error.
Choose use different account and then register.
Client now just shows the background image.
Email arrives, link looks strange but does go to Black Forest (doesn't show the domain in the link text), but gives just a plain code page in response.
Go to manually enter details in Client, but as it's only background image, there is nowhere to put anything! Force quit client and restart.
Again, login gives an error (I'm guessing this will work once you've successfully logged in the first time), so go to use different account.
Try to login with player ID and key and get 403 error.

That's as much as I can give so far.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Alpha Client Feedback
« Reply #1: April 02, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »
Yeah, I thought as much. I'm working on the 2nd version.
Error handling is really terrible right now, I know that. Basically if anything goes wrong, it breaks horribly.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: April 02, 2016, 08:15:53 PM »
I have uploaded Alpha 2 to both the server and the client downloads (clients are still uploading, if you read this the minute I post, wait for five minutes).

This should be better already. Everyone join the two villages that exist, I will start it once a few people are in so you can see the actual game.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 03, 2016, 11:47:17 AM »
Still get the same errors trying to login. Do I need to re-register first?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: April 03, 2016, 11:50:18 AM »
should not. Which error you get?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: April 03, 2016, 08:45:26 PM »
I've actually run a test village for 16 days now, fixing lots of small bugs and making both server and client code ready for a first gameplay test.

One thing that I want to rework is how action selection goes. Actually playing the game a little bit showed me that I can improve the user interface a lot here. I had it so that you would select your action, and then a plot where to do it. But actually, when you select a plot first, in many cases the action follows automatically, or there is only a small selection of what you can do.

For example, if you select a plot with a ready field, harvesting is the only action available anyways. If you select a plot belonging to someone else, but bordering your land, taking it is the only option. If you select an empty plot of yourself or the common grounds, you can plant a field, build a fence or build a hut.

So I will re-work the interface so that you select a plot first. For gather actions, you will select the forest.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 03, 2016, 10:53:03 PM »
should not. Which error you get?

Still the error 403 forbidden one.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: April 04, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »
That means your playerid or playerkey is wrong. I'll send you the right ones by mail.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: April 05, 2016, 01:55:02 AM »
Also, download a new alpha client, build 3 - http://blackforest.lemuria.org/h/download

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 05, 2016, 05:53:57 PM »
Also, download a new alpha client, build 3 - http://blackforest.lemuria.org/h/download

Oops, just used the key you sent (which was different to the auto emailed one) and successfully got in then, still on V2 (can we have a big text thing somewhere so we can always see what version of client we are using?) signed up for a family in Graubruch. On doing so, it appears to have then duplicated the Helleich one (I could now see 3 of them listed on the right).

I then thought I'd see if I could have more than one family, which it seemed to let me do, but then created a third Helleich. Also, family count for Graubruch hasn't gone down (it said 11/13 when I first started, was told I was successful with both family picks, but still shows 11/13).

I'll get the latest version then give another update on how it looks!

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 05, 2016, 06:02:06 PM »
Ok, in V3 I now only have the one town listed n the right (which is the one I haven't got a family in), and have two families listed on the left, who are both in the same town (so that may be an error that shouldn't have been possible if I'd used the correct client) and say "waits for players" ("waiting for players" might be better, or "waiting for xxx players" so you've an idea of how much longer before the game will start).

...So, thought I'd join the second town as well, this then duplicated the names of those I'd got in the first town on the left, and leaves the option to join the second town again, picked another family and all duplicated again. Restart client and I have two families in each town, and no options to join a town again (which I did still have before restarting, so appears to be a check that's done on client start up that isn't done after selecting a family.

Nothing else I can now do to test more :(

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: April 05, 2016, 11:48:40 PM »
Thanks. For some reason, nobody else at all seems interested in this game. Very strange. Usually there's at least a small number of people.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 06, 2016, 04:28:00 AM »
I might be more willing to explore it normally, but its not a good time for me, more than anything specific to the game itself.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: April 10, 2016, 04:37:22 AM »
Maybe the trailer is too tongue in cheek and I should make another one. Darker in atmosphere. Same for the game graphics, even if they are placeholders.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 10, 2016, 03:24:35 PM »
I am waiting for a game to start now but already noticed quite some things.

First of all the activation key you get by e mail is wrong.
Once you click the activation link i get a screen saying i activated my acount with the correct key:
{
    "player": {
        "id": 6,
        "email": "stefanodemonte@gmail.com",
        "registered": "2016-04-10T15:13:45+0200",
        "key": "MqE30HwVcUGyRjny15N6G72VLAfaByDoYirY0YUc",
        "confirmed": true,
        "families": []
    }
}

This is confusing and at first i didnt get it.

There is no exit button or back, i had to end task black forrest to get out of the game or back to the main screen.

The tables dont extend if given more lines.
For example the overview of games available goes further below the table which should hold the content.
This also counts for all other tables.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog