Author Topic: Bandits in Dwilight  (Read 4029 times)

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Bandits in Dwilight
« Topic Start: April 01, 2016, 06:52:14 PM »
Hey guys.

I've got a question about the bandits in Dwilight.

Are they more numerous or something?

I have a character who recently emigrated to Dwilight after the devs sunk Atamara and he had a cavalry unit in Black Mountain when the Daimons attacked.  He is a hero but they just wounded him, wiped out his unit, and left him in a coma for a week.

I have since been trying to get back to the capital of my realm, which is right next to the mountain.  I have been attacked by bandits and dropped into a coma every single time I recover to be able to move again.  I finally, this morning, after what feels like weeks of travel in real life, finally made it to the capital, and was instantly attacked and sent into a coma by bandits AGAIN.  In the capital.

Now I'm used to bandits being a slight problem.  Something that may show up in every other region or so as you are making your way home from lost battle.  Just like there is a chance of getting captured after your unit is wiped.

But I have never seen an organized campaign of banditry so effectively and routinely exercised that it would make a character spend weeks in real life to get from one region to the region next to it.

I would have been home weeks ago if I had been captured by the Daimons, held for a week, and then sent home.

Instead, my character has been in a coma, for 2 to 5 days, he wakes up with vastly reduced hours for maybe one turn, he starts to move, and then is put down by another bandit group immediately for another 2 to 5 days.

Is this normal in Dwilight because I've never seen anything like it before in all my years of playing this game...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Bandits in Dwilight
« Reply #1: April 01, 2016, 07:12:03 PM »
I don't think there's any difference in the bandit code between Atamara and Dwilight.

If you're in the capital now, might I suggest recruiting a unit? Wandering around without one is the biggest risk factor for bandits. (Well, aside from carrying around vast sums of gold.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 01, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »
I don't think there's any difference in the bandit code between Atamara and Dwilight.

If you're in the capital now, might I suggest recruiting a unit? Wandering around without one is the biggest risk factor for bandits. (Well, aside from carrying around vast sums of gold.)

It was probably both.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 01, 2016, 07:21:46 PM »
Banditry is the same everywhere, not more numerous on Dwilight. Bandits are more likely when someone has a lot of gold on hand and/or a high bounty. Bandits are less likely with more CS in your unit and/or higher swordfighting skill. There is a degree of chance involved.

It helps to be a hero if fighting bandits without a unit. If you're fighting without a unit, there's a chance you get wounded.

Regardless, you probably lose gold, if you have any. There's a TODO to lose unique items and scrolls (or thats how I interpreted, 'goods') too.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 01, 2016, 10:59:42 PM »
Well, maybe attack probability should be tweaked a bit.
When I got back after a hiatus I experienced two attacks before I got to the capital to recruit a unit. And I was just two provinces away from it to begin with. :)

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 01, 2016, 11:51:38 PM »
prolly the same code idea that protects you from being repeatedly stabbed by an infil should apply?

not much fun for the player to spend all his time in prison or wounded

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 02, 2016, 05:45:11 AM »
I've had no more than 20 gold on hand...I'm down to under 10 gold now.

And I'm in a coma now after having just arrived in the capital...so it will be another few days before I can recruit a unit.

Now for full information he is a very old character.  He might even be over 100.  He was the first character I created in BattleMaster, in Foda, in Atamara.  And he was the last ruler of Tara when the island sank.  He's been a hero most of his life, even when fighting Daimons, and every enemy he's thrown himself at has failed to kill him.

But I get a scratch now from these bandits that are hitting him one after another and he goes into a coma for days.  And he only gets 5 hours a day...3 if wounded.  And he has been either wounded or in a coma for the last I don't know how many weeks.  It's seemed like forever.

A part of me feels like it might be time to pause him.  But I really want the guy to go out in a blaze of glory.  It's just that nobody's been able to kill him in all the years I've played him...

And it really sucks in these "one character per island" times that I'm not contributing at all to the realm I'm in while he's spending all his time in a coma.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 02, 2016, 05:54:39 AM »

And I'm in a coma now after having just arrived in the capital...so it will be another few days before I can recruit a unit.

Now for full information he is a very old character.  He might even be over 100.  He was the first character I created in BattleMaster, in Foda, in Atamara.  And he was the last ruler of Tara when the island sank.  He's been a hero most of his life, even when fighting Daimons, and every enemy he's thrown himself at has failed to kill him.

But I get a scratch now from these bandits that are hitting him one after another and he goes into a coma for days.  And he only gets 5 hours a day...3 if wounded.  And he has been either wounded or in a coma for the last I don't know how many weeks.  It's seemed like forever.

A part of me feels like it might be time to pause him.  But I really want the guy to go out in a blaze of glory.  It's just that nobody's been able to kill him in all the years I've played him...

And it really sucks in these "one character per island" times that I'm not contributing at all to the realm I'm in while he's spending all his time in a coma.

If you want to go out in a blaze of glory, start having him lose it in his old age and bring insanity to the realm. :3

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 02, 2016, 06:08:13 AM »
I've actually got a soft idea that has been tickling the back of my mind...

Have him say something about it being time to go home to Daishi.

Pause and send him to graveyard.

Create a new character who wakes up with memories of having seen Daishi and being sent back to continue his work.  And claiming the same name.

Could make for some interesting role playing...;)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 12, 2016, 07:38:42 AM »

One sure fire way to do that is challenge Karibash to a duel.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 12, 2016, 08:36:34 AM »
I ended up deleting the character and starting over.

The game made it almost impossible to play him so I did what I had to in order to be able to get back to playing again.

*shrugs*

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 12, 2016, 09:36:07 AM »
yep, that is what more people should do with their ancient chars. its hard to die as a hero.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 12, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »
yep, that is what more people should do with their ancient chars. its hard to die as a hero.

only if you play them with kid's gloves. my heroes seem to die with regularity, but I see 90+ year old heroes traveling around with 150 men, wondering why they can't die.