Author Topic: "One Less Click" Campaign  (Read 4862 times)

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
"One Less Click" Campaign
« Topic Start: April 13, 2016, 11:49:59 PM »
seems like this could all go in a single thread & save space:

Anywhere you see text that says you should go do X, and doesn't have a link to that page, list it here. These are just quick link adds like we did for Pay your men <--> Change Designation, so please use a separate feature post if you have more to your idea than that. With so many using their phones now, and the general enjoyment, this is really helpful.

I'll start:

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: "One Less Click" Campaign
« Reply #1: April 13, 2016, 11:51:32 PM »
anywhere the Advy gets a message mentioning "you are too fatigued", please add a link directly to "Resting" page

(and I'll break my rule already and say if they have beer or honey, a link to that could be added, as well)

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 13, 2016, 11:52:30 PM »
On the resting page, if they have Beer or Honey, links could be provided (returning to Resting page after used)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 14, 2016, 09:13:30 AM »
I think some good proposals may come out of this. Although I do not have an example right away, I've recently fixed a link for the 'Change Realm' option, when it's unavailable it links to the 'Choose an estate' page.

I'm curious to hear more examples, I'm sure we could implement soem of them (maybe not all).
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 18, 2016, 11:14:44 PM »
Not exactly a feature request, but I think it's been something like 7 years since AJ messed up the html so that advy hours/fatigue don't update properly while hunting.

That one is definitely is annoying and click/time wasting to work around.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 19, 2016, 01:05:44 AM »
i believe that has been fixed, its just everywhere else that hours change (honey, resting, maybe even gathering) wherr it doesnt update on the same page.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 19, 2016, 02:34:59 AM »
Please stop insulting members of the dev team, whether they are still here or not.

This will be your very last warning on this subject.

The issue has nothing to do with anyone "messing up the HTML." It is caused by the footer being transitioned to Doctrine, while the page itself has not been.

I was starting to do that a month or so ago, when I decided not to half-ass it and actually replace the horribly immersion-breaking hash system for sharing hunts with an updated version I've had on my TODO list for years, when I realized that it would require an update to the message system. So now I'm working on that, which is taking longer, but I will be getting back to fixing the advy hunting pages once I'm done with that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 19, 2016, 03:59:34 AM »
It was broken by AJ years ago when he switched from iframes. I probably still have the email.

I have never seen it fully fixed since then, in all these years. It was not working this morning which is why I posted here.

With a TODO list as long as your seems to be, why don't you finally accept a bit of help?

I will continue this discussion with Tom personally, since the state of the game is directly affecting something he and I have been discussing.

FYI: I'm a former dev team as well, and the !@#$ I've put up from you over the years is beyond acceptable. Clean up your own act & I'll stop lashing out at you. Been telling you that for some time now.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 04:11:48 AM by Noone you know »

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 19, 2016, 04:11:18 AM »
It was broken by AJ years ago when he switched from iframes. I probably still have the email.

I have never seen it fully fixed since then, in all these years. It was not working this morning which is why I posted here.

With a TODO list as long as your seems to be, why don't you finally accept a bit of help?

I will continue this discussion with Tom personally, since the state of the game is directly affecting something he and I have been discussing.

Please don't. The game is fine, and your interference is likely to make things worse.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: April 19, 2016, 07:01:21 AM »
I'll continue saying what I have been saying for a year:

BM has the better community and longer history.
M&F has the much, much better codebase.

Transitioning BM to a clean codebase will take several more years. Why not start fresh?

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 19, 2016, 07:41:14 AM »

Transitioning BM to a clean codebase will take several more years. Why not start fresh?

If we can still play BM while the new one is written, I would be all for it.

Vel_Aryon

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 19, 2016, 12:06:23 PM »

As someone who is currently playing both of these games I would tend to agree. Although it would greatly depend on how exactly this would be done. I've often found that each of the games is missing something the other one has. BM has more PvP interaction, better community, better setting and is much much better optimized. It is more simple to play BM than M&F. M&F is too tedious and too demanding in almost all aspects but in return offers world depth in terms of game mechanics, absolute freedom in almost everything and great fluidity without rules; which is not always a good thing.  In my opinion the perfect game is somewhere in the middle between these two.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: April 19, 2016, 07:43:15 PM »
Which is why I am thinking of putting the M&F code on Github and let the community go and make the perfect game out of a good foundation.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 19, 2016, 07:46:16 PM »
FYI: I'm a former dev team as well, and the !@#$ I've put up from you over the years is beyond acceptable. Clean up your own act & I'll stop lashing out at you. Been telling you that for some time now.

If I had left the dev team after repeatedly insulting everyone, and then spitefully deleted every single bug I had created on the bugtracker with some snide comment about how the other devs didn't really care about fixing anything, so there was no point in reporting bugs, then you might have a leg to stand on.

I didn't do those things. You did.

Then you proceeded to come back under multiple aliases, over the course of the intervening, what, five years or so? and continue to insult us and proclaim that you knew better than anyone how our dev team should be run.

You have a very, very deep hole to dig yourself out of before you are in any position to be telling any other BattleMaster developer, former or current, how they should act, or passing judgment on them in any way, and from everything I've seen lately, you're still heading deeper.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 19, 2016, 07:50:54 PM »

The answer to that is the same as it was eight years ago when I joined the dev team, and however many years ago it was when you effectively left it to work on Might and Fealty.

Sure, I'd love to see BattleMaster rewritten with a clean codebase in something like Symfony. But given the available developer time, that would require abandoning the idea of fixing any current bugs that aren't completely game-breaking for RL years before we had something that could hope to replace the existing game code.

The quickest way to start making a difference, building a parallel system that we could use to replace individual scripts one by one, we would still have to write the entire highly-interconnected model infrastructure before we could start working on a single user-facing script, and in this scenario we'd be stuck with the existing database structure (which I would dearly love to replace, as well).
Timothy Collett