Author Topic: Monster Problems  (Read 125285 times)

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Problems
« Reply #180: September 01, 2016, 03:23:17 AM »
I not sure what update I should be providing here. We will be watching the change for the coming days I guess to know its true effects. Now off I go to munch on the next monster skull I can find :P
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

byrdcr9

• Marketing
  • Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #181: September 01, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »
In Swordfell it looks as if the Monsters situation has calmed down significantly within the past few days. Although we're still getting monsters assaulting our outlying regions, they're not having the devastating effect that they used to have. They tend to be quickly beating by standing militia.

Bronnen may be able to corroborate my story.
"There are two rules for success: 1. Don't tell everything you know" - Roger H. Lincoln

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #182: September 01, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
I was mostly just surprised that discussion stopped so entirely, after it was so lively.

And I'm not sure what you expected. Realms on the frontier of Dwilight are monster-fighting realms. There was a brief period when this was not true, but for the majority of its life, that has been the reality. If you don't like playing in a monster-fighting realm, go to one of the "half-dormant realms in the east" and stir !@#$ up.
Well, the bulk of the discussion, as I understand it, was frontier realms suggesting that monster spawns were perhaps a bit too extreme to handle.
Then you announce that inland realms will have it easier from now on. Once again, good for them, but our grievances were not addressed at all. It's an absolutely tangential and weird fix.
Which brings me to a conclusion that monsters are there not to improve noble density, but to screw specifically frontier realms which are in fact the most healthy ones noble density-wise.
I'm curious to learn your view on the situation.
Because sarcastic replies are very helpful and appreciated. Again, no matter what is done, some will complain, rather than offer constructive criticism.
I think we are all grown up people here and can handle mild sarcasm.
For some reason, when it's me talking, it's complaint. But when it's you who smears your fellow players in dung, it's constructive criticism. Okay.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #183: September 01, 2016, 05:19:29 PM »
The complaints in this thread that were concerning to me were the ones about formerly-well-insulated eastern realms being ripped apart by monsters spawning just off their borders, and the danger that a small cluster of rogue regions in an otherwise civilized area could become a quickly-expanding cancer that destroys realms without sufficient warning for them to shift priorities.

Border realms on Dwilight need to expect to be attacked by monsters, pretty much all the time. I've got some code in the works that could help to make it so that the threat is spread out a bit more (allow monsters to cross water, so when they pick a target that happens to be in an inner eastern realm, they will hit that realm on its western border, rather than just all piling through D'Hara, Madina, and Yggdramir), but broadly, there's no intention on the part of the devs to make things easy on the frontier realms.

That said, all realms should find the monsters somewhat less problematic with the new changes, as no full-strength monsters will now be spawning within or immediately adjacent to realms, and frontier realms should find their rear borders much quieter (unless the human realms of the east decide that they'd be better off without you).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #184: September 01, 2016, 11:20:33 PM »
That's the problem, though -- the frontier realms will pretty much always be at the mercy of the inner realms, since the inner realms don't have rogues constantly sapping at their strength. Their grand solution? "Oh, just move to the inner realms, because Player Density amirite."

That solution completely ignores the fact that moving to all the inner realms will only push the rogue border eastwards. In the process, many if not all of the players will be frustrated: the frontier players for having to leave their realm behind and again starting anew, and the inner players for having their realms invaded. All of this will lead to a risk of higher player dropouts and completely work against the goal of a healthier game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #185: September 01, 2016, 11:46:26 PM »
That's the problem, though -- the frontier realms will pretty much always be at the mercy of the inner realms, since the inner realms don't have rogues constantly sapping at their strength. Their grand solution? "Oh, just move to the inner realms, because Player Density amirite."

That solution completely ignores the fact that moving to all the inner realms will only push the rogue border eastwards. In the process, many if not all of the players will be frustrated: the frontier players for having to leave their realm behind and again starting anew, and the inner players for having their realms invaded. All of this will lead to a risk of higher player dropouts and completely work against the goal of a healthier game.

But if the total number of player-controlled regions shrinks, while the total number of nobles does not, the rogues will reduce their efforts to destroy humanity.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #186: September 01, 2016, 11:57:59 PM »
But if the total number of player-controlled regions shrinks, while the total number of nobles does not, the rogues will reduce their efforts to destroy humanity.

What if... we get stuck in a vicious cycle? Like someone pointed out, if outer realms die, there is no guarantee those nobles will move inland. They may just not play on Dwilight. And if that repeats well... wouldn't that be a repeat of the big freeze?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #187: September 01, 2016, 11:58:34 PM »
What if... we get stuck in a vicious cycle? Like someone pointed out, if outer realms die, there is no guarantee those nobles will move inland. They may just not play on Dwilight. And if that repeats well... wouldn't that be a repeat of the big freeze?

I'm aware of this, and am already working on methods to mitigate against this problem.
Timothy Collett

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #188: September 03, 2016, 05:53:11 PM »
The travel times are horrendous in the West. 19 hour marches between regions is forcing us to spend a day and a half just marching and delaying travel to try and get everyone to arrive on time.

Victor C

• Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189: September 03, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »
The travel times are horrendous in the West. 19 hour marches between regions is forcing us to spend a day and a half just marching and delaying travel to try and get everyone to arrive on time.

Ah dwilight... Move one region out of your realm and your knights are already homesick  ;D

Yeah, the distance between regions is WAY bigger. Thus, high travel times. You can compare it to different islands if you'd like. This is also why wars require a tad more strategic finesse and why homeland advantage is actually a thing on dwilight. Gotta learn the fast routes or you're going to be moving slowly.

If it is the fast route, well, I hope your roads get repaired... If the roads are good... Oh my... Just go around  ;D... If you can't... Well... Have the slowet nobles move early? Make them  literal vanguards and they'll be at the very least half a day ahead?  If necessary, make them a full day ahead?
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #190: September 03, 2016, 08:04:43 PM »
Yea, strategy and finesse don't quite work when you have hordes spawning and moving to every single border region you have at the same time, and then appearing in another once you leave. Besides, some regions we have held for weeks and raised production to their highest, yet we are still stuck with cruddy roads.

Victor C

• Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191: September 04, 2016, 01:00:20 AM »
Yea, strategy and finesse don't quite work when you have hordes spawning and moving to every single border region you have at the same time, and then appearing in another once you leave. Besides, some regions we have held for weeks and raised production to their highest, yet we are still stuck with cruddy roads.

Roads take a while to repair, the more war torn the land... The more terrible the road becomes. Think of it as a chaotic road with a bunch of bandits and wagons idley flipped... Plenty of holes too.. trees blocking ways.

The moving through of destroyed roads is also part of strategy. Certain roads that lead to your target region may take 5 turns to reach. However... Another region bording it may only require 2.

Those poor... Poor... Roads.  :'(
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #192: September 11, 2016, 11:26:04 PM »
I think West Dwilight has even more monsters now.

Zakilevo

« Reply #193: September 12, 2016, 02:33:30 AM »
I saw smaller groups of monsters. 950 CS each instead of usualy 1.5k or 2k. Maybe they spawn in smaller numbers?

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #194: September 12, 2016, 01:13:15 PM »
Nope, we're still getting hit with 2k CS monster groups, and a lot more of them now. They're also now super aggressive in terms of messing regions up.