Author Topic: Monster Problems  (Read 123224 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Problems
« Reply #300: April 01, 2017, 08:11:40 PM »
This is why Sabadell, in particular, gets hit so damn hard: it borders a LOT of regions, which means monsters from almost all of those regions see it as the only bordering non-rogue region. (And, of course, monsters slightly further away see it as a possible nearby target.)

So basically, the problem is gerrymandering? :P If Forguthrie touched Aquitain, cutting Sabadell off from Zereth, and that the limits of the Shrine intersected with it (Forguthrie) without being "adjacent", that's make Sabadell have a more normal amount of neighboring regions, while making all of the regions a bit more regular in shape. ;)

Well, not if something happened there like happened to Paisly the other day. I don't think you could ever stack enough militia in any region to repel over 100k CS of monsters in one go :P

Surely with the proper dev love we could ;)

...For what it's worth, if you could manage to get enough people together (probably a coalition of realms would be required, starting a new monster-buffer-realm), you could cut the entire northwest section off from the main rogue area, pacifying the monsters there (somewhat), by holding Duil, Chrysantalys, Wallershire, and the Corridor of Torment.

Of course, that would probably be nigh-impossible to take, and hell to hold, but hey, life goals, right? ;D

Did you think we were trying to draw a penis Scandinavia on the map when we expanded all the way to Crotona? ;D

Banker called taxes out of sync twice during that campaign, though. By the time we got to Crotona, we just had a ton of bonds. We should have kept going and taken K'dira, but at the time the call was made to not risk desertion.

Passing through the mountains was a mistake, though. Not only were the travel times needlessly long, but some of the intended targets were starving. Going along the northern rurals was deemed a prefferable alternative, if we get such a chance again.

Of course the southern pass is even better, though the regions you mention contain a few starving one, and moving into a starving mountain to take it over, far from home, is painful to say the least.

I actually don't think it would be as hard to accomplish as you seem to think, given how close we came to pulling it off on our first try. Were the taxes called at the specific times I asked them for, or had I decided to sacrifice the army for K'Dira, we'd have completed that East-West chain. Though holding it... I have no idea. Monster  behavior is constantly evolving, I honestly have no idea how they would behave to such a line. But it would be frigging epic. Distance from the capital was already a major issue, though. Unfortunately there's no good capital candidate that would allow us to block the Western subcontinent latitudinally.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:16:49 PM by Chenier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron