Author Topic: Monster Problems  (Read 124974 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Problems
« Reply #315: June 20, 2017, 01:35:39 AM »
I think I've elaborated enough on why Madina's (non) history displeases me, as well as its geography. You mention the maps, you should note that for the most part, they didn't remove Madina and Fissoa, they just crunched you closer to your neighbors by eliminating the vast deserts and seas that divide you, while also splitting the both of you farther away from each other because adjacent capitals is just a terrible thing.

If you want to fight monsters, then you should be delighted, because that's what you are getting. So what if you lose a few regions in the process? You'll end up reaching an equilibrium determined by your density and skill. If you want to argue that you were somehow incapable of doing anything in the East because of the monsters in the West... you'll have a long road ahead of you to convince me of that. You could have chosen not to hold Candiels, and not to push for the Fields, and Agl, and everything else you've tried to do over there, that would have been much easier, but that's a choice you made. In 2016, so not quite "IRL yearS", really. Before that, the West did not throw rogues at you.

The code will not destroy Madina unless you truly, amazingly, suck. Do you think you are the firsts to be whacked by monsters? These are rookie numbers. Madina was MADE in far worse conditions, and numberless realms, after that, were MADE in much, much, much worse conditions. Many grew to be superpowers. Think Astrum has a nice empty playing field starting out? D'Hara? What do you think Westgard has been up to all that time, since the West re-opened?

The whining is unfounded. Once density lowers, the number of hordes will decrease. Soon enough, once everybody gets their act together and finishes off the hordes they got, they should see a nice period of calm. Rogue spawns are governed by density and every realm (or about?) lost a bunch of regions. And not only will the waves thin out for a while, until everyone takes back all these regions, but those who are hardest hit will receive the least persistence, because these migrant monsters focus on lowest-density realms and no-lord regions. The code is set up in a way to do non-lethal damage. Any realm that dies to the monsters deserves it for being so terrible, because only one realm, Westgard, lacks any chokepoint or other geographical advantage against them.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron