Author Topic: Monster Problems  (Read 124998 times)

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Problems
« Reply #45: May 02, 2016, 06:02:23 PM »
Actually, as cool as it be if the game were that smart, it's not. It can't tell when the last time the fortifications were damaged was, just whether there's been a battle at all within the last couple of days (or maybe turns; I don't recall off the top of my head).

Sorry. :-\

Really? I thought it worked, huh. That'll teach me to write things by memmory, prob based on 8-12 years ago xD
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: May 03, 2016, 07:45:23 AM »
The real point I wanted to ask was, What could he do on Atamara he is no loner able to do on Dwilight?

The players we had trouble mostly sat around doing nothing. So - sit around and do nothing if you want.

What is having lots of monsters to fight doing to suddenly ruin the game for you?

EstionTarcyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: May 03, 2016, 09:27:59 AM »
The real point I wanted to ask was, What could he do on Atamara he is no loner able to do on Dwilight?

The players we had trouble mostly sat around doing nothing. So - sit around and do nothing if you want.

What is having lots of monsters to fight doing to suddenly ruin the game for you?

The increased amount of them, the unrelenting hordes of them that is attacking to the point that just to have a realm we must constantly fight them, meanwhile there is little progress in defeating them. That's the point. People are limited by what they have to do, rather what they want to do. After a while, such maintenance play will drive away inspiration and creativity of players, who in turn will not RP. We started out fighting the monsters, and RPed alongside it, but it died out as it continued. There is little room for political power struggles as everyone is just busy fighting the wars. There is little room for international politics as we cannot actually have any interaction with other realms except for 1-2 people who gather food for us, so we can't go for alliances really, or go for a war.

We are just pinned against the monsters who have been unrelenting and more or less non-stop for a good while, and whatever people think of that situation. When the monster fighting was increased (or made smarter) it very much f****d over D'Hara, because we have had hordes in our lands ever since. One thing is we fight them from the West, but occasionally they will come from the East as well, from the regions that cannot be held by the mainland realms. I thought it was a bit difficult to enjoy, and I raised it in our realm, in our realm there was a great deal who agreed. It is not about what you are able to do, as on paper you would be able to do, but by having people do maintenance on a realm constantly just leaves without any interest in doing anything in the game. Previously in the realm we discussed a lot of things and such, now due to the constant battering most people are just "Meh"

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: May 03, 2016, 02:45:23 PM »
While I am firmly in the "suck it up" camp, I think it's noteworthy that originally D'Hara had the Zuma eating most of the rogues before they came to the islands as a consequence of geography. The way the monsters are coming through now I am pretty sure the Zuma are inactive. I was sort of eaten alive for saying that perhaps Port Raviel is not a very defensible location and that the islands are not rich enough to maintain. What I was getting at was turning around and migrating East but meh.

No complaining from anyone in Westgard though, I know a realm which occupied those same lands with far less gold and nobles  8)

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: May 03, 2016, 02:54:30 PM »
I'm guessing the folks in D'hara didn't really enjoy the Lord of the Rings series very much?

Or are they all just ex-Atamarans who can't handle having something to do *every* turn  ::)

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: May 03, 2016, 03:10:44 PM »
That was one of my gripes about sinking islands, gameplay differed greatly. Dwilight and constant PvE is almost like a different game to old time Atamarans who never tried it.

Now mind you I've been playing a lot of crusader kings 2 so I'm kind of warped right now, but maybe we could add a feature to Dwilight that gives border realms a chance: nomad migrations. Add a button to the ruler command panel based on if a realm is flagged by a dev as nomad potential (not too big, geography, enough exposure to the west). Clicking the button flags the realm, a dev copy pastes the old migrating realm code that decreases morale hits for long distances, troop cost, adds attack bonuses, but also lowers the region stat soft cap 30%, etc etc to make it balanced. They can recruit from any region and are given a time frame that they have nomad status. After the successful/unsuccessful migration the code reverts to normal. The button is immediately usable but a dev has to look at it and say yes or no so prevention against abuse is already there.

Or we can all just... Suck it up and play 8)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: May 03, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »
Add a button to the ruler command panel based on if a realm is flagged by a dev as nomad potential (not too big, geography, enough exposure to the west). Clicking the button flags the realm, a dev copy pastes the old migrating realm code that decreases morale hits for long distances, troop cost, adds attack bonuses, but also lowers the region stat soft cap 30%, etc etc to make it balanced. They can recruit from any region and are given a time frame that they have nomad status. After the successful/unsuccessful migration the code reverts to normal. The button is immediately usable but a dev has to look at it and say yes or no so prevention against abuse is already there.

Sounds really cool.
I really liked to see Eponlyn fight its way north back in the ice age event.
Its a good alternative for frontier realms who are not holding out.

On other news, Zuma colation is active again it seems.
I haven't seen zuma battle reports in a while since two days back or so.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Elegant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: May 03, 2016, 07:21:41 PM »

Lol. Several times, I used to auto-pause due to inactivity after the fall of Northern Alliance. I don't want to do that in Dwilight :D

Why are YOU so excited to inquire about this? (have you asked this twice or thrice maybe? Has my auto-pausing in Atamara offended you in any way?) We are trying to communicate something to game admins and devs. Are you one of them?

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: May 03, 2016, 08:05:10 PM »
Lol. Several times, I used to auto-pause due to inactivity after the fall of Northern Alliance. I don't want to do that in Dwilight :D

Why are YOU so excited to inquire about this? (have you asked this twice or thrice maybe? Has my auto-pausing in Atamara offended you in any way?) We are trying to communicate something to game admins and devs. Are you one of them?

He used to be, so there's that.

Also, those of us who have been playing for years on Dwilight don't want it changed by someone who arrived from another continent and suddenly finds things challenging. Yes, I agree that not being able to hunt the monsters and thus get a short break to repair walls is an issue. However, the overall scale of the monster attacks is something that has been a part of Dwilight off and on throughout its existence. So yes, suck it up.

And to answer Noone's question, he can no longer use an IC clique to control the entire continent, nor can he just auto-pause, come back, and be automatically put back into power by his puppets.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: May 03, 2016, 08:39:25 PM »
Regardless of legitimate concerns we have, we can at least remain civil to our fellow players.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: May 03, 2016, 11:03:17 PM »
In D'Hara's specific case, their constant fighting against rogue hordes should come as no surprise to anyone. After all, some time ago the entire western half of Dwilight was overrun by rogues and its inhabitants displaced. D'Hara now sits at the new border between civilization and the wild, and everything that wants to go east has to go through either them or Madina. Basically, you are the Night's Watch of Dwilight, doomed to fight an inglorious struggle, while the other realms use you as a meat wall while generally not really caring an further.

And as a Lurian, I say you deserve it, too!

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: May 04, 2016, 02:41:41 AM »
Elegant,

Do not bother with posting here friend, this banter is not worth a response, it goes from discussion to simply belittling of other players.... honestly has to make you question why, but why waste the time
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: May 04, 2016, 04:06:54 AM »

I'm part of an open conversation, asking you a question:

What is it you can't do on Dwilight that you used to be able to do on Atamara? Or are you complaining about the lack of options in general?

The game is pretty much the way it was when it was first written over 12 years ago, so if it is the second - why are you still playing? If it is the first, tell us specifically what you want to see & maybe it can be added.

As far as "trying to communicate something" - it's not getting through. I'm asking you to clarify what you mean.

Elegant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: May 04, 2016, 04:16:52 AM »
Elegant,

Do not bother with posting here friend, this banter is not worth a response, it goes from discussion to simply belittling of other players.... honestly has to make you question why, but why waste the time

Quite true my friend. The message has reached the people for whom this thread was opened in the first place. I will stop feeding off-topic trolls now :D

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: May 04, 2016, 04:38:27 AM »
People are limited by what they have to do, rather what they want to do. After a while, such maintenance play will drive away inspiration and creativity of players, who in turn will not RP. We started out fighting the monsters, and RPed alongside it, but it died out as it continued. There is little room for political power struggles as everyone is just busy fighting the wars. There is little room for international politics as we cannot actually have any interaction with other realms except for 1-2 people who gather food for us, so we can't go for alliances really, or go for a war.

Why can't you do those things? The fights are all computer generated. The things you are talking about are all RP.

The fights don't take any of your real-life time. Your character has to sit *somewhere* - why not sit where monsters are?

How are you "busy fighting wars"? The computer is fighting the wars. You just read about it.

Int'l politics? Go be a diplomat or trader. No one forces you to be a front-line knight.

People here keep saying we're just trolling you, but all any of can see are people complaining that they can't do something that quite obviously they CAN do, and it starts to sound more and more like you miss the old ruling clique & game within a game that killed Atamara, and nothing more than that.

Sorry, but that's gone and good riddance.