Author Topic: Monster Problems  (Read 123238 times)

EstionTarcyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Problems
« Reply #60: May 04, 2016, 09:06:17 AM »
Why can't you do those things? The fights are all computer generated. The things you are talking about are all RP.

The fights don't take any of your real-life time. Your character has to sit *somewhere* - why not sit where monsters are?

How are you "busy fighting wars"? The computer is fighting the wars. You just read about it.

Int'l politics? Go be a diplomat or trader. No one forces you to be a front-line knight.

People here keep saying we're just trolling you, but all any of can see are people complaining that they can't do something that quite obviously they CAN do, and it starts to sound more and more like you miss the old ruling clique & game within a game that killed Atamara, and nothing more than that.

Sorry, but that's gone and good riddance.

Well, if you aren't aware then most people do roleplay their settings and situation. If your situation was a tournament, then there would be banter between the knights, if it is war with the monsters, then it would likely be the campaign that would be RPed, the soldiers in their lines and all the like, however, we did that, for a good couple of weeks, and the situation is unchanged, but people grew bored eventually. We have to fight, so people stop RPing, in fact, people stop logging in more or less. Your logic is why use the feedback of the world, it is just text on a website, but that is the setting that we have. To ignore all of that would mean that we might as well not play the game.

"Int'l politics? Go be a diplomat or trader. No one forces you to be a front-line knight."

The whole point that I have tried to get across, and apparently failed is that the game mechanics does not allow this for those in D'Hara, because we have to keep fighting the monsters. The only people who more or less ever leave the Isles are those who trade for food, else everyone else has to fight to retain the realm. Then again, your argument will be "Well tough it out, that's D'Hara." and we will start all over saying the same things again and again.

For your last idea that I miss the ruling clique of Atamara I think you step a bit off the mark. Firstly I was in Atamara for probably less than a month before the sinking, couldn't care less about who ruled it. I had just popped down a character there to get fighting experience. I then took him to Beluaterra I believe where I was in two different realms, one filled of people I knew from Dwilight, and the other one the most volatile and hostile I have ever seen. (Ever though that was fun in it's own way, as it was IC) In fact I do not know if any of the Atamarans who joined D'Hara seem to care, they just want not to be fully focused on fighting unending hordes.

If you want numbers to back up my ideas and theories, well your own realm in Westgard had some 40 nobles at the start, now they are at 32, a strong 20% of your people decided it wasn't worth it. 33% of D'Harans are gone. So whether you think it is stupid that people are leaving, it is a fact that they do, and I have offered one the things here that I believe is doing it. Of course, people might not care, but I think it is quite important to try and save what can be saved, and discuss it for the better.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: May 04, 2016, 09:46:44 AM »
Perhaps you should entertain the option of abandoning the Isles?

EstionTarcyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: May 04, 2016, 09:52:41 AM »
Perhaps you should entertain the option of abandoning the Isles?

I have considered quitting the game to be honest, doubt I would move because the frontier between the monsters and men would just be moved and someone else would have to deal with it. Granted it might be more spread out with more coastline and less concentrated on the same region day in and day out.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: May 04, 2016, 10:29:38 AM »
I have considered quitting the game to be honest, doubt I would move because the frontier between the monsters and men would just be moved and someone else would have to deal with it. Granted it might be more spread out with more coastline and less concentrated on the same region day in and day out.

I wonder, but have you happen to have read my post as well? You are not forced to fight the monsters, this remains a choice. Will the ruling clique ban you if you do not take up direct arms and fight? I doubt it, they can't afford it and the banter which will come after it. Even in D' hara you have opportunities for priests and courtiers. Nobody can force you to play a certain career and even in D' hara there is enough space for a zealous priests who tries to make sense of the monster invasions. The priest could even be a frontier lord who replaced the militia without getting wounded in battle to also support the war still and do his preaching. A courtier is usefull everywhere, if only so you can raise taxes in the capital and have a courtier repair the damage daily.

My char's a semi outcast in Luria Nova and I'm having the most fun. Although he's moving to Luria Borreal now to show his religious zealousness, but not because Luria Nova isn't fun. Like I said, chances everywhere.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: May 04, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »

You are the ruler of D'Hara, but I've hardly heard a word from you on the Rulers' channel , and when you do speak, you say very little.

Any player who wants to can take up a different role in the realm, and go travel.

Any player who wants to can simply switch to a different realm.

Any player who wants to can RP about ANYTHING that they want to; it doesn't HAVE TO BE about the monsters.

So I'll ask again - What is it you want to do that you can't? Because I've still haven't seen anything specific that should be blocked.

Yes, monster fighting can be a bit repetitious, and now that it's summer coming, etc, RP will be down - but nothing is blocking you from doing anything.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: May 04, 2016, 11:14:03 AM »
So, there is currently only one silly war that no one cares about and I thought was over.

So: Either send out an appeal to the other Realms, or hold a tournament where you can greet the nobles who come, and recruit young knights to come fight in ferocious battles and earn fame and regions! Give them something they can't get sitting at home doing nothing much. Ask the rulers to allow them to join up in special armies so they can gain fame as marshals. Offer to let them push into the West and loot the tens of thousands of gold we know are there. Offer your eventual support for creating friendly realms. Rally the East to push back the beasts! Crusade!

Being a Ruler is more than just collecting fame points. Be a leader.

EstionTarcyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: May 04, 2016, 11:23:18 AM »
You are the ruler of D'Hara, but I've hardly heard a word from you on the Rulers' channel , and when you do speak, you say very little.

Any player who wants to can take up a different role in the realm, and go travel.

Any player who wants to can simply switch to a different realm.

Any player who wants to can RP about ANYTHING that they want to; it doesn't HAVE TO BE about the monsters.

So I'll ask again - What is it you want to do that you can't? Because I've still haven't seen anything specific that should be blocked.

Yes, monster fighting can be a bit repetitious, and now that it's summer coming, etc, RP will be down - but nothing is blocking you from doing anything.

In the Ruler channel I have spoken relatively regularly in the past, the last month or more I have simply lost interest in the game due to these monster issues, and as such I have stopped really bothering. When a realm asked for aid, we could not provide it, so no bother piping out. I have actively in the past mediated between realms who were going to war, Westgard-Astrum for example. I have had plenty of contact with other rulers as well in the past.

And, yes. Once more I will say that I agree that what you can do on paper is not changed, this is true, you can hear it again, this is absolutely true, but all the same people are losing interest over having to do maintenance work against the hordes. People lose interest and stop playing and become gradually more inactive. I have proven this to you, whether you will it or not. The fact we fight these monsters is what makes people bored.

So let me run through it like this. You can have any role you wish, but it just so happens if we have to few warriors (which is almost the case) people would simply lose the realm they are trading for, or trying to maintain through diplomacy. Nothing is stopping anyone at all, except we are not able to hold onto the land they would do these things for.

They can simply switch to a different realm, and by all means I am not stopping anyone, but some people do not wish to leave the realm where they have already build their character's life in. They simply don't want to start over completely fresh with a middle aged character.

And they can, in the same way I can just RP I have a gun after all, nothing in the mechanics and text would stop me. But you must agree with me it would be rather strange that while fighting the monsters, they sit and have a tea party. RP is very much based off of the world that they live in, so the regions locale and situation is taken into account.

The issue is not what can or can't be done. Mechanically nothing changes with the hordes, but mentally people get tired of having to fight monsters day in and day out without being able to do much else unless willing to lose the region.

Now I'm sorry, but I am not going to bother explain it again if you have no interest in trying to understand it. I am not saying what is right or what is wrong, I am simply saying that the game suffers from fewer and fewer people playing it, and I offered one of the reasons why this might be. I am not saying the game is bugged or glitched out, I am saying the way it is working right now, while intended as such,could be bringing a few people to lose interest.

As for the second part, I think you are stepping into an area you don't really know about to be honest. I agree it is way more than collecting points in any regards, in fact that counts for any title in the game. I have done my part for D'Hara, but you wouldn't know being new to the political scene of Dwilight. You don't know what I have done in the past, and it is a bit rich of you to come and say "Well, just do it."

Though the ideas are fine, issues are multiple with them, there is not estates to house all of the young knights, and we very much do want to support realms in the West, however, except for Mayhem there seems to be little interest in going West, however, the Atamarans in D'Hara is looking to gain a realm at some point in the West. Not to mention, the whole point of the monsters are to create density on the Eastern Isle. I would venture the guess that success against the monsters initially would only lead to even more monsters to create the density to make up for the lack of players, instead of trying to cure the loss of players.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: May 04, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »
Idea 2: Astroism is dying to reclaim their hold on the island; the other religions would love to push them out.

Invite priest to come preach to your realm, and see who is most behind a Holy Crusade. Play some religious politics.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: May 04, 2016, 11:30:17 AM »
People lose interest when the Ruler takes the position for the fame points and doesn't bother to work to keep things creative and fun.

You may be right. You may want to pause your character for a few months and see if you have lost interest in the game.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:56:03 AM by Noone you know »

EstionTarcyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: May 04, 2016, 12:32:15 PM »
People lose interest when the Ruler takes the position for the fame points and doesn't bother to work to keep things creative and fun.

You may be right. You may want to pause your character for a few months and see if you have lost interest in the game.

So across the board every single ruler in the game is in it for fame points? I mean, since all realms are losing nobles as time goes on

If you insinuated I am at fault for D'Hara and the general game's lack of players then I am sure that I am to blame for the lack of interest generally across the game. The 20% regression in noble numbers in Westgard I am sure is my fault as well. Before the sinking of Atamara D'Hara was actually one of the realms who grew the most, nobles coming in. Before that I had seen it going from when I joined at 33 to 15 nobles, then it grew back to low twenties, and to skimming 30 with the Atamarans and now back at 23. I could list a number of things I did alongside some friends to show that I have tried to make it exciting to be in D'Hara, but there is little point as we are back at nothing now.

The simple fact of the matter is becoming less and less populated, and from the looks of the post that was intended to try and help out it seems a good deal are more content with letting it stay as is.

Edit: I have now informed my realm I will be stepping down when I have the hours to hand off all items and coin.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:37:05 PM by EstionTarcyn »

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: May 04, 2016, 12:49:38 PM »
Stop it already.

Dwilight has been this type of island since it started. It's whole existence began with every single new realm fighting the way you are fighting now. After a while the East stabilize, but the West has always fought tooth and nail.  It has always been this way, and no one has ever complained about it.

If you and a few realmmates don't like it, then Dwilight isn't for you. Or perhaps you want to switch to an East island realm, where it is more like other islands.

Try putting 10% of the effort you put here into the in-game RPs & maybe things will turn around for you.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: May 04, 2016, 12:51:33 PM »
I think you're a bit harsh on him here. Being a ruler is not simple and few really manage to do it well over a longer period of time. Perhaps it is better for him to step down if he feels like 'quitting"  but you have to give him the respect also he deserves.

EstionTarcyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: May 04, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
I'm sorry, but who in all hell do you think you are, talking to someone else like you have? What makes you think you can speak to anyone, let alone someone you do not even know like that over a game. I have done plenty for the realm, and the game during my time, and have played for a couple of years now. In time I had never actually properly met people on this game who were directly toxic, but since it is just a game I can say that I am now happier than ever that I am leaving. A civil debate cannot be had it seems, and as such there is little point to stay.

While the concept may be lost on you, then things does change after all, and seemingly people, not only myself, have after a while said we think it is a bit ridiculous the amount, specifically after some changes made by the admins. Now you say the game has always had this and it is true, but not in the extent we have been facing right now, regardless, even if you argue it has always been like that, and the game slowly has been dying, yet you remain unwilling to change it.

It is this exact sort of "It's always been, so let it remain so forever" that actually made me ruler of a realm, because very little happened and a group of people were fed up, so we did what we could to get into power and reform the realm to try and better it, now we are facing an issue that we wanted to raise so that the admins were aware that people feel this way.

People are leaving the game, has been for a while - This could help people not leaving the game - You refuse because YOU like it like that.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: May 04, 2016, 01:51:53 PM »
Actually, for some time, the West was completely colonized, save for the Zuma lands.

And back in the early frontier days of Dwilight, hell yeah, people complained about it.

But we mostly ignored them, because it was quite clear people were having fun with it.

I mean, since all realms are losing nobles as time goes on.

That's no longer true.

The decline stopped around the time we sunk Atamara and the FEI. We've been holding fairly steady since then.

If Tom can get the activation email issue sorted out, we might even start gaining again.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: May 04, 2016, 02:23:46 PM »
I'm sorry, but who in all hell do you think you are, talking to someone else like you have? What makes you think you can speak to anyone, let alone someone you do not even know like that over a game. I have done plenty for the realm, and the game during my time, and have played for a couple of years now. In time I had never actually properly met people on this game who were directly toxic, but since it is just a game I can say that I am now happier than ever that I am leaving. A civil debate cannot be had it seems, and as such there is little point to stay.

While the concept may be lost on you, then things does change after all, and seemingly people, not only myself, have after a while said we think it is a bit ridiculous the amount, specifically after some changes made by the admins. Now you say the game has always had this and it is true, but not in the extent we have been facing right now, regardless, even if you argue it has always been like that, and the game slowly has been dying, yet you remain unwilling to change it.

It is this exact sort of "It's always been, so let it remain so forever" that actually made me ruler of a realm, because very little happened and a group of people were fed up, so we did what we could to get into power and reform the realm to try and better it, now we are facing an issue that we wanted to raise so that the admins were aware that people feel this way.

People are leaving the game, has been for a while - This could help people not leaving the game - You refuse because YOU like it like that.

I would urge you not to quite. As I said, there are many options left and there is no reason to get fed up because of a single voice on this forum. I can understand your reasoning very well, but would advise you scale down on your chars and stay with 1 or 2 and play those a bit different.

I've done pretty much the same, leaving me with only 2 infils and 1 Duke (who stepped down as ruler), mostly because I no longer had the time to play them all properly. Do something else and find back that part which brought you fun in the game again. Religion has several angles, theocracy in Luria Borreal which is suffering, the old SA church who's been suffering from ESA for a long while, or even a whole different faith (there are one or 2 I think). You could become a diplomat and set up a guild continent wide to combat the monster invasion, or whatever.