Author Topic: Monster Problems  (Read 125195 times)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Problems
« Reply #75: May 04, 2016, 02:48:43 PM »
I think big point here is, that it starts to feel on D'hara that there is no hope ever never do anything else than fight those monsters. No matter how you put it, at the end, it becomes boring.

I bet some people at Madina is feeling a bit same, never ending hordes just keep coming. Been considering to move to another realm. And i suggest those who doesnt like that do so too. Some people seem to enjoy that hard fight and i did too, but it starts to get "old". You cant interact with them, you basicly cant beat them.

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

EstionTarcyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: May 04, 2016, 02:51:30 PM »
That may just be me who suspects a slow decline then, from what I have seen number wise on Dwilight I think there has been a small decline, but I cannot say for certain. Not drastic whatsoever.

And thanks Gabanus, but I have made my peace with leaving the game. Maybe at some point I will come back, but I just don't really see much of a point right now. I am already only playing 1 noble and 1 advy, and I will retire both I think. I have handed off 9000 gold, and two items to people I have played with. I might not have fun with the game anymore, but giving away the stuff and resigning from my positions may give some fun to others.

Though to be honest, there is a certain allure in creating a whole new faith. However, for now, I will take my leave of the game, and it is not based on the people on here who I do not necessarily agree with. It is just based on I am not having fun with the game anymore. I wish the best for the game for certain, and all the nice people I have met through the game, players and admin alike.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: May 04, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »
I think big point here is, that it starts to feel on D'hara that there is no hope ever never do anything else than fight those monsters. No matter how you put it, at the end, it becomes boring.

I bet some people at Madina is feeling a bit same, never ending hordes just keep coming. Been considering to move to another realm. And i suggest those who doesnt like that do so too. Some people seem to enjoy that hard fight and i did too, but it starts to get "old". You cant interact with them, you basicly cant beat them.

-Jaune

Actually from what I've seen Madina is enjoying the fight plenty.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: May 04, 2016, 04:53:57 PM »
That may just be me who suspects a slow decline then, from what I have seen number wise on Dwilight I think there has been a small decline, but I cannot say for certain. Not drastic whatsoever.

And thanks Gabanus, but I have made my peace with leaving the game. Maybe at some point I will come back, but I just don't really see much of a point right now. I am already only playing 1 noble and 1 advy, and I will retire both I think. I have handed off 9000 gold, and two items to people I have played with. I might not have fun with the game anymore, but giving away the stuff and resigning from my positions may give some fun to others.

Though to be honest, there is a certain allure in creating a whole new faith. However, for now, I will take my leave of the game, and it is not based on the people on here who I do not necessarily agree with. It is just based on I am not having fun with the game anymore. I wish the best for the game for certain, and all the nice people I have met through the game, players and admin alike.

Unfortunate to hear. I've been there before myself as well and quite. Actually in hindsight think I should have then just focused on playing a different game within BM alltogether (which I'm doing these days with my infil) which brings me a different kind of fun than BM used to bring me otherwise. Figured I would atleast share that thought with you, before you make the ultimate decision ;-)
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: May 04, 2016, 11:05:43 PM »
Actually from what I've seen Madina is enjoying the fight plenty.

Madina has only been gaining nobles, the place is quite lively actually, even relatively to its size, it has great realm wide interaction about various issues, not just the rogues.
Measuring how people think or feel about the many rogues is near impossible, and all we hav been doing thus far is make assumptions and relay on the statements of some individual players(how many we dont know).
Another question is, how much should we actually let decisions be made based on player opinions?
I believe the game devs are more then capable of making the right decisions and i trust them more in knowing whats best then the opinion of most players.
But either way why not hold a poll amongst all players in Dwilight? even if we don't let this be decisive in what will happen to Dwilight, it could be usefull information.

Also, perhaps i am the only one here, but this topic is turning into a D'hara centred discusion between basically two persons.
I think its pointless to go in depth and focus so much on the experience of a few players in one realm.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: May 05, 2016, 04:17:09 AM »
That's no longer true.

The decline stopped around the time we sunk Atamara and the FEI. We've been holding fairly steady since then.

If Tom can get the activation email issue sorted out, we might even start gaining again.

::) Bit Delusional  ::)

We know our fate
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: May 05, 2016, 04:29:18 AM »
::) Bit Delusional  ::)

We know our fate

Considering Anaris has hold of the stats and you don't... I'm going to trust him more. Sorry that you couldn't be right in your pessimism.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: May 05, 2016, 05:52:02 AM »
Considering Anaris has hold of the stats and you don't... I'm going to trust him more. Sorry that you couldn't be right in your pessimism.

Statistics are in the system and recorded in other threads. Game has been on the decline... we've closed 2 continents I think that speaks for itself, but if not Gundam please stick your head into your profile, click a character of yours, then go to Information click that, find statistics on that page and then go to player statistics. If you cannot understand a graph that, ill help you, we lose roughly 8-10 players a month also 2 years ago this time we had close to double what we currently have. 8 years ago we had 3-4x, 12 years ago we had 5-6x times as much at least.

If you don't believe me ask someone else to verify that else maybe you should cease the condescending attitude you. Then again I doubt you'll make the effort sense this is a faceless world we linger in.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: May 05, 2016, 07:29:12 AM »
Madina has only been gaining nobles, the place is quite lively actually, even relatively to its size, it has great realm wide interaction about various issues, not just the rogues.
Also, perhaps i am the only one here, but this topic is turning into a D'hara centred discusion between basically two persons.
I think its pointless to go in depth and focus so much on the experience of a few players in one realm.

yeah, Madina is lively and frustration is not showing, but i, personally start to feel that its a bit boring to fight those monsters, i rather kick another players :P

And i just wanted to bring on this discussion another realm which is constantly fighting monsters, but have not fallen to despair, but i think there is a danger that it will.
~Violence is always an option!~

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: May 05, 2016, 08:15:08 AM »
Madina actually seems to be enjoying it, it's you guys going in expecting to be disappointed and finding only the things you expect.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: May 05, 2016, 09:53:46 AM »
One of the things that amazed me about Dwilight is JUST HOW OFTEN my character got wounded.

And as he was an older character forced to emigrate when Atamara was sunk a scratch would put him in a coma for a week.  And he got attacked EVERY TURN it seemed like.

He was next to the capital and his unit got smashed and him wounded.  When he finally woke up from the coma and started walking, he started getting attacked by rogues every turn.  And scratched or wounded.  And sent into a coma.  Wake up.  Start walking.  Get attacked.  Sent to coma.  Rinse, repeat, ad nauseum.  It took me weeks to get to the capital.  From the region next door to it.

I've never seen anything like that before.  I just deleted the character in the end because the game made him unplayable here on Dwilight.  Started over with a new one, and I'm waiting for him to grow up enough honor and prestige to be able to lead a decent unit into battle.

The ONE good thing about all the monster attacks is at least honor and prestige go up fast.  But fighting monsters sure isn't as interesting as fighting humans.  At least with humans you know you've got minds on the other side that you are trying to outwit.

Beluaterra is running into that issue now, with all the interesting human wars put on hold until the devs get done with whatever monster game they're playing and let us get back to backstabbing each other like proper nobles.  ;)

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: May 05, 2016, 10:24:20 AM »
Your character was 94 years old. It was the first time he had to fight so frequently.

What would you expect to happen to a 94 year old man who had to ride around in full armor and fight for his life twice a day?

-----

Westgard seems fine, although we're a little quiet since Spring Break onward. Movement is still fine in all the armies. A couple folks wondered off to other realms - they never spoke in-realm, and didn't explain why they left. A couple folks were newbies who autopaused. One major character went back to "real life"

Astrum is the other realm on the frontier - I think they are holding steady, but I haven't communicated with them much in a while to know for sure.

----

My concern, as I posted in another thread, is if you make the monsters TOO easy, we just spread out all over the West until everyone has their own region again and there's no realm density at all. That will kill things far more than too much fighting.

----

At the end of the day, it is as fun as the players chose to make it. Don't know what happened to the "Old D'Hara" - they used to be one of the top RP realms in the game, but it looks like they got pushed out by the AT colonists. My knowledge of their recent history isn't that good.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: May 05, 2016, 02:01:27 PM »
Statistics are in the system and recorded in other threads. Game has been on the decline... we've closed 2 continents I think that speaks for itself, but if not Gundam please stick your head into your profile, click a character of yours, then go to Information click that, find statistics on that page and then go to player statistics. If you cannot understand a graph that, ill help you, we lose roughly 8-10 players a month also 2 years ago this time we had close to double what we currently have. 8 years ago we had 3-4x, 12 years ago we had 5-6x times as much at least.

I'm sorry, but you're way off base.

First of all, yes, we closed two continents. If you had actually read my previous post, you would have seen that it was saying that after those two continents were closed, the decline leveled off. Thus, every single thing you said here is irrelevant to that.

Second of all, you have to go back at least 3-4 years before you get to double the numbers we have now. And we've never had more than 4 times what we have now, so your "12 years ago" is just total BS.

2008 was the peak, when we had around 2000 players. Before then it was steadily rising. At that time it plateaued, then started a long slow decline.

But let me repeat the most salient point for you: The decline has stopped, or at least slowed down so much as to be imperceptible now.

Whatever anecdotal evidence you have, whatever feeling you have that the game is doomed and there's nothing left but to wait for its inevitable end, it's not borne out by the actual statistics. So look to the log in your own eye before you go calling other people condescending, please.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: May 05, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »
My character had fought monsters and Daimons on Beluaterra.

And then he was involved in the long campaigns of the ramping up of the wars in Atamara.

He had been fighting most of his life against this and that.

What happened in Dwilight was just so different from everywhere else he had played as to make him unplayable.

He was perfectly playable and active everywhere else I had played him.  The moment he went to Dwilight though, the wounding and bandit slapping until I couldn't hardly move more than an hour or two before being sent into a coma began.  That is unplayable and I am unhappy that the mechanics of the game forced me to retire the character.  He was a hero.  In charge of cavalry.  Something should have been able to kill him at least once in all the years I sent him against bad things...

Instead I had to retire him because bandits kept on sending him into a coma.  That is simply not a fun way to see a good character go down.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: May 06, 2016, 04:07:28 AM »
I'm sorry, but you're way off base.

First of all, yes, we closed two continents. If you had actually read my previous post, you would have seen that it was saying that after those two continents were closed, the decline leveled off. Thus, every single thing you said here is irrelevant to that.

Second of all, you have to go back at least 3-4 years before you get to double the numbers we have now. And we've never had more than 4 times what we have now, so your "12 years ago" is just total BS.

2008 was the peak, when we had around 2000 players. Before then it was steadily rising. At that time it plateaued, then started a long slow decline.

But let me repeat the most salient point for you: The decline has stopped, or at least slowed down so much as to be imperceptible now.

Whatever anecdotal evidence you have, whatever feeling you have that the game is doomed and there's nothing left but to wait for its inevitable end, it's not borne out by the actual statistics. So look to the log in your own eye before you go calling other people condescending, please.

Off base, are you counting players registered or are you counting daily/weekly activity? If you counting registered yeah I'd agree, but if you are looking at the actual statistic that matters it's daily/weekly activity. Those are the true player statistic. We could have a 1000 registered users, but if only 300 log in a week... that not saying once.

BS that we had at on point 1200-1500 active players in a week? Come now it's been awhile, but it was once real.

Do you state that this threads statistics are not real?
DateRegistered PlayersWeekly ActivityDaily Activity
2014 Jan. 26th (peak count)880577304
2014 March 1st (Beginning of freezing)825539288
April 10th797541293
2014 May 1st799533305
2014 June 16th (WI created)784491277
2014 July 3rd757460248
2014 August 13th736445250
2014 October 21st683402224
2015 March 30th566370184