Author Topic: Monster Problems  (Read 123139 times)

Elegant

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Problems
« Reply #30: May 01, 2016, 08:36:09 AM »
I want some advice from all of you. I play in D'Hara in Dwilight. Here is my daily routine:

1. Login to the game and select playing my character, Jason Elegant.

2. See whether he is wounded or ready (Thanks for the NON -STOP heavy rain of monsters, undead, Daimons and cyborgs, witches, chimera, hydra, medusa etc. SINCE I remain WOUNDED all the time, I can't see what hit me, so I wrote all possible names that came to my mind.)

3. If the char is ready, I follow the orders to recruit, refit and engage those nightmares again.

4. LOGOUT.

5. Repeat from step 1, daily (every turn).

I am loosing interest. Please guide me and help me re-gain my interest. I shall be much grateful.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: May 01, 2016, 09:23:03 AM »
I want some advice from all of you. I play in D'Hara in Dwilight. Here is my daily routine:

1. Login to the game and select playing my character, Jason Elegant.

2. See whether he is wounded or ready (Thanks for the NON -STOP heavy rain of monsters, undead, Daimons and cyborgs, witches, chimera, hydra, medusa etc. SINCE I remain WOUNDED all the time, I can't see what hit me, so I wrote all possible names that came to my mind.)

3. If the char is ready, I follow the orders to recruit, refit and engage those nightmares again.

4. LOGOUT.

5. Repeat from step 1, daily (every turn).

I am loosing interest. Please guide me and help me re-gain my interest. I shall be much grateful.

Don't play in a realm that is on a bottleneck for the monsters trying to get to the east? Don't choose an island realm that is completely linked by ferry routes? It's your choice what realm you play in. If you truly need to get your character some rest that badly from the fighting, go to a sea zone, you can't get into battles there.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: May 01, 2016, 10:36:54 AM »
It's a roleplay game. You described the framework generated for you to hang your roleplay on.

If all you know how to do is click buttons, you are going to get bored very quickly.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: May 01, 2016, 11:35:15 AM »
You have nonstop combat, and you're complaining?

Some people just cannot be pleased I guess.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: May 01, 2016, 01:08:59 PM »
You have nonstop combat, and you're complaining?

Some people just cannot be pleased I guess.

He's a former Ruler and Judge of CE. Need I say more?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: May 01, 2016, 02:36:19 PM »
Here's some more advice, Elegant:

When playing in a realm that has constant combat, play a fresh, young character, not someone who's already 67.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Elegant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: May 01, 2016, 04:53:17 PM »
Good advice. I have already started a new char in a combative realm on other server. I just wanted to be sure that I am on right track.

For Dwilight server, I have concluded the following from the advice you guys gave me:

1. Don't play in D'Hara
2. If you play in D'Hara, the character should be young
3. If either 1 or 2 is not done, you are doomed due to your own choice of playing in D'Hara with a 67 year old char.

Have I understood correct?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: May 01, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »
Well, there are other options (for instance, you could play in D'Hara with an old character, but choose not to participate in combat, and instead do something like courtier or diplomat work), but broadly, yeah, that's the size of it.

Only for now, though. I'm already working on making it possible for monsters to cross the sea on sea zones, rather than ferry routes, which should dramatically reduce the pressure on D'Hara, Astrum, and Fissoa.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Elegant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: May 01, 2016, 05:47:29 PM »
Thanks for your efforts to reduce monsters. I am grateful for the efforts of the game admins and devs. The are doing this for a free game which benefits free players like me. I have learnt a lot of real life lessons from this game and you guys made it possible.

EstionTarcyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: May 02, 2016, 06:24:06 AM »
I must say that there was a tendency for this post to gradually derail a little bit as the tone became more hostile player and admin/dev between, and now some player to player which is not the intention for this thread to begin with. It was to raise awareness amongst the devs how many nobles in one realm felt, apparently alongside what many others felt in different realms.

I would like to point out that the choice should not necessarily be that it is the players' own fault if they are not enjoying a game due to mechanics, and regardless it should always be considered when there is complaints, that being said, some point out that Dwilight is in fact the RP continent, as such the logic should not be "Well, it's your fault for being in D'Hara, that's how mechanics work." Elegant came there with refugees from Atamara, and as such RP wise it would make very little sense to just pick up and go somewhere else.

Because the realm is in constant combat against NPCs then we are not allowed to do non-combat roles largely, only those getting food so we can sustain ourselves do not follow the routines across the board, the essence of what happens leaves little room for RP. We did have RP when we marched to take Paisly, but after a while, fighting the monsters left people uninterested in the RP with it, and again when people are saying constant combat, it is not combat with a purpose either, we are not fighting a war against another realm for this or that cause, we are simply fighting because the monsters are coming at us in waves. If you have not tried the constant fighting against NPCs I don't really think you understand how little it leaves you to do otherwise.

The game is an RPG largely, and we cannot really do RP, nor can we actually engage with other realms as we have nothing to offer them in terms of war or anything else because we are constantly doing this, that's the whole point of the thread and what Elegant said.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: May 02, 2016, 07:22:47 AM »
I am the Ruler of Westgard; I most certainly have "tried this fighting against NPCs"

That fighting is run by the computer for you - you don't have to do anything at all, except move or get ready. It IS a little monotonous after a while; however, if there's "nothing else to do", it is the fault of the players for not making anything else to do.

The only other GM things to do ANYWHERE are join a tournament (there have been several), play a priest or courtier (your inalienable rights let you go do that) ...not so much else. Everything else is RP, and you are always free to do that, unless you are wounded or in prison.

So hire more mean or get a younger character if you're wounded too much, and start RPing. Or at least tell us what you can't do, that you used to be able to on Atamara.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: May 02, 2016, 07:29:35 AM »
I must say that there was a tendency for this post to gradually derail a little bit as the tone became more hostile player and admin/dev between, and now some player to player which is not the intention for this thread to begin with. It was to raise awareness amongst the devs how many nobles in one realm felt, apparently alongside what many others felt in different realms.

I would like to point out that the choice should not necessarily be that it is the players' own fault if they are not enjoying a game due to mechanics, and regardless it should always be considered when there is complaints, that being said, some point out that Dwilight is in fact the RP continent, as such the logic should not be "Well, it's your fault for being in D'Hara, that's how mechanics work." Elegant came there with refugees from Atamara, and as such RP wise it would make very little sense to just pick up and go somewhere else.

Because the realm is in constant combat against NPCs then we are not allowed to do non-combat roles largely, only those getting food so we can sustain ourselves do not follow the routines across the board, the essence of what happens leaves little room for RP. We did have RP when we marched to take Paisly, but after a while, fighting the monsters left people uninterested in the RP with it, and again when people are saying constant combat, it is not combat with a purpose either, we are not fighting a war against another realm for this or that cause, we are simply fighting because the monsters are coming at us in waves. If you have not tried the constant fighting against NPCs I don't really think you understand how little it leaves you to do otherwise.

The game is an RPG largely, and we cannot really do RP, nor can we actually engage with other realms as we have nothing to offer them in terms of war or anything else because we are constantly doing this, that's the whole point of the thread and what Elegant said.

Amusingly enough, you're actually wrong about what this game is. It is largely a strategy game that is welded together via player RP. If this game were just about RP, then we wouldn't even need to bother with an interface and coded mechanics, but rather just a map. What you're talking about is basically Spellmaster, an earlier game by Tom that this game is a strategy spin-off of. War Islands (the game) is the opposite extreme, being strategy completely divorced from RP.

Dwilight, by the way, has always been a constant fight against Monsters and undead, despite what you may believe. Technically Dwilight was never any more RP focused than other continents, but instead focused on making said RP more serious and period appropriate. However, Dwilight's atmosphere influenced the other continents, so it is no longer any more an "RP" continent than East Island.

And by the way, RP-wise, as a refugee, he would head to the most secure realms, aka the North or Swordfell. Or do you not follow the refugee crisis, where refugees skip Turkey, Greece, Macedon, Hungary, and Austria because Germany is more wealthy?

Keep it up though, I can come up with rebuttals all day. Not least of which is the notice every player gets that not all realms are the same, and if they aren't having fun there, should feel free to go elsewhere.

EstionTarcyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: May 02, 2016, 02:04:47 PM »
Amusingly enough, you're actually wrong about what this game is. It is largely a strategy game that is welded together via player RP. If this game were just about RP, then we wouldn't even need to bother with an interface and coded mechanics, but rather just a map. What you're talking about is basically Spellmaster, an earlier game by Tom that this game is a strategy spin-off of. War Islands (the game) is the opposite extreme, being strategy completely divorced from RP.

Dwilight, by the way, has always been a constant fight against Monsters and undead, despite what you may believe. Technically Dwilight was never any more RP focused than other continents, but instead focused on making said RP more serious and period appropriate. However, Dwilight's atmosphere influenced the other continents, so it is no longer any more an "RP" continent than East Island.

And by the way, RP-wise, as a refugee, he would head to the most secure realms, aka the North or Swordfell. Or do you not follow the refugee crisis, where refugees skip Turkey, Greece, Macedon, Hungary, and Austria because Germany is more wealthy?

Keep it up though, I can come up with rebuttals all day. Not least of which is the notice every player gets that not all realms are the same, and if they aren't having fun there, should feel free to go elsewhere.

I'm sorry in advance, but I really must ask, what has made you so prone to unrelenting condescension and generally just being bit of a (insert random expletive here). I have seen it a few times over in some realms where you have kicked off OOC because things didn't go your way, or you didn't agree with something, and you become rather nasty to play with or discuss things with.

As I have said, this whole post was there to point out the way that current mechanics work has slowly dwindled the interest of those playing in D'Hara, and possibly other realms. In a game that is already struggling with having players entirely that seems to be an issue. That however seems to be worked on and possibly solved by the devs and admins who I am sure, as I have said before, has the best interest of the game at heart.

Firstly, I would like to remind you that noble fugitives were different than fugitives we have today. They flee to a place where their stature and position could be retained quite well, and not in a realm where there was little hope of advancing their own position. At to that, that RP wise most of said nobles had family members in D'Hara which led to them wanting to go there after both IC and OOC discussion in Atamara. (One of the things I actually remember you kicking off about when it was discussed in CE on Atamara, before you emigrated after your little outbursts) In fact I do think you need to fact check a bit more, as Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq and Egypt combined have taken in more than 4,8 million Syrian refugees to some estimates whereas Europe has less than these combined. Now let us get back to the game, shall we?

@Noone you Know

Thank you for a bit more civilized and adult post. While I agree there isn't a lot to prevent RP, there is little to encourage it. With the onslaught people are simply losing interest, and as such people lose interest in the RP as well, while you can argue that is the players' fault, and I do agree to some extent, it simply is also just up to the fact if the setting offers you only one thing to do in game as well as RP, then the RP will stop alongside it.

Now you mention the inalienable rights, which is true, and I don't think anyone is stopping anyone from playing as so, however, the issue is that, if you were to play a priest or a courtier you would really be losing your foothold in the realm as it would just slowly lose ground. People can play these parts, but there is very little to do with them currently. So it comes down to if you want to play that way, they would more or less have to leave D'Hara for it.

Again, I would also state that realms are, should and have been different, but simply denouncing it as that is false, as the gravity of the situation has risen so much due to the latest updates that we have not been able to defend our regions, there has always been fighting against monsters in D'Hara, but it was not previously that there would be a horde in our regions per day. Port Raviel has for example fallen due to not being able to rebuild the walls for months at a time. In fact the guy who was lord there eventually just said "f**k it" and gave up.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: May 02, 2016, 02:53:26 PM »
Now you mention the inalienable rights, which is true, and I don't think anyone is stopping anyone from playing as so, however, the issue is that, if you were to play a priest or a courtier you would really be losing your foothold in the realm as it would just slowly lose ground. People can play these parts, but there is very little to do with them currently. So it comes down to if you want to play that way, they would more or less have to leave D'Hara for it.

Who cares if you lose your 'foothold'. My character in Luria Nova has been cast aside pretty much by the current Emperor, after he was captured trying to assasinate Arkady (which IC he of course denies). Another was appointed Margrave of Aveston in stead and after taking up an estate in Giask (emperor's region hehe) I got kicked out. So what? I'm actually having fun with the char, but don't think for a second he's done any fighting for the last months and hasn't had an estate either. This might be a rather extreme case, but it was to show that even a 'falling' in esteem doesn't have to be a problem. A priest can play the 'poor man' thing perfectly as well for instance. There are enough powerfull people in all the faiths to even make 'position' work once you work yourself up in a faith, trust me. And the monster invasions create perfect RP material for priests.

Again, I would also state that realms are, should and have been different, but simply denouncing it as that is false, as the gravity of the situation has risen so much due to the latest updates that we have not been able to defend our regions, there has always been fighting against monsters in D'Hara, but it was not previously that there would be a horde in our regions per day. Port Raviel has for example fallen due to not being able to rebuild the walls for months at a time. In fact the guy who was lord there eventually just said "f**k it" and gave up.

Actually it is possible to repair the walls under constant siege...make sure the monsters never reach the walls. It'll cost a bit more mobile forces and casulties, but you can prevent them. Then you can repair them. Also this problem should become less so now anyway.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: May 02, 2016, 02:56:49 PM »
Actually it is possible to repair the walls under constant siege...make sure the monsters never reach the walls. It'll cost a bit more mobile forces and casulties, but you can prevent them. Then you can repair them. Also this problem should become less so now anyway.

Actually, as cool as it be if the game were that smart, it's not. It can't tell when the last time the fortifications were damaged was, just whether there's been a battle at all within the last couple of days (or maybe turns; I don't recall off the top of my head).

Sorry. :-\
Timothy Collett