Author Topic: Monster Problems  (Read 123133 times)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Problems
« Reply #270: November 30, 2016, 07:31:44 AM »
Either way, something needs to be done. 

Currently any number of realms could wage a war upon the gateway realms by simply expanding and let the game send waves after waves against them. 

This alone is indicative of a broken game.

Also, currently there are a number of players already playing two characters on the island, a Noble and an Adventurer.  This allows them to use both in their own ways against the monsters.  Allowing two Nobles will only shift the Adv characters to Noble characters but for the most part, the island population will remain the same.  Just to get an idea of how many are already using the double character method I mentioned, just check out the Character listing and arrange by family. 

Just allowing players to run two Nobles will not magically double the player base.  Things need to be done to attract players, not drive them away.

No, you can have as many nobles as is allowed by the game rules on a continent, and one adventurer. So you'd still have that one adventurer and two nobles in that scenario.

Zakilevo

« Reply #271: November 30, 2016, 07:43:51 AM »
No. Two nobles per realm is never coming back period. We had enough of hive minded characters.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #272: November 30, 2016, 07:53:09 AM »
No. Two nobles per realm is never coming back period. We had enough of hive minded characters.

I wasn't saying that. I was saying that if the game rules WERE to be changed back to two nobles a continent, you would still be allowed to have an adventurer there.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #273: November 30, 2016, 12:32:14 PM »

Two nobles per continent need not allow two nobles per realm. Just saying, not sure what I think about it myself.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Sharpspeare

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Sharpspeare Family
« Reply #274: November 30, 2016, 04:35:44 PM »
Two nobles per continent need not allow two nobles per realm. Just saying, not sure what I think about it myself.

Exactly, two nobles per continent could work. But making it so those two nobles can't be in the same realm. I know just how annoying two character in the same realm can be to play against (for lack of a better term). So I would never want that. But two characters on the same Continent can make for some interesting possibilities (brothers fighting each other, etc.) 
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious" ~ Vince Lombardi

"Allons-y" 10th Doctor

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #275: November 30, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »
Multiple nobles in the same realm was never the primary reason we changed the restrictions to one noble per continent.

The real problem is having two nobles in prominent positions in two different realms—then making sure those two realms will never, ever go to war or oppose each other.

I'm quite sure you would both be capable of keeping two characters on opposite sides of a conflict separate, and enjoying doing so. I have done so myself.

But there are too many people in this game who either can't, or aren't interested in doing so. That's why Atamara sank.

That's why we can't have nice things.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #276: November 30, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »
Multiple nobles in the same realm was never the primary reason we changed the restrictions to one noble per continent.

The real problem is having two nobles in prominent positions in two different realms—then making sure those two realms will never, ever go to war or oppose each other.

I'm quite sure you would both be capable of keeping two characters on opposite sides of a conflict separate, and enjoying doing so. I have done so myself.

But there are too many people in this game who either can't, or aren't interested in doing so. That's why Atamara sank.

That's why we can't have nice things.

Indeed. Or on the opposite, they join conflicting realms, and act as spies. Now that I think about it, I think that was a great problem, because it sapped all confidence the leadership would have in the general nobility. "Don't send important information to all nobles of the realm, 3-4 of them also have nobles in unfriendly realms". They needn't even be actual spies, just the suspicion is bad enough for everyone.

A sad thing, really. I enjoyed having nobles in different realms, sometimes allies, sometimes enemies. But a completely warranted restriction.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #277: March 20, 2017, 01:51:17 PM »
Now let's all watch all of the hordes at the seas converge on Sabadell. Since that's apparently the "in" place to be for these guys, right now. XD

Beldragos

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #278: March 20, 2017, 03:20:30 PM »
News Ticker
Posted: Yesterday at 02:39:03 AMSea Monster Bugfix
A bug was recently fixed that was preventing monsters at sea from reaching land.

Those on Beluaterra and Dwilight should start noticing monsters start to show up in coastal regions over the next few days.

Does that mean a realm like Madina will be flooded by the beasts in every region effectively making our defensive bottleneck as Candiels Fields/Candiels moot?  Does that mean the beasts will instead swim across the open seas to the eastern realms bypassing Madina completely, thus making a direct result against the expansion of Luria for which the bottleneck realms are paying the price dearly?

And since it was mentioned, isn't using the game mechanics of taking lands knowing the game code will send more rogues against certain realms a way of warring against those realms without actually declaring war against the rules? 

If it is then that needs to stop, it is abusing a game mechanic which is an OOC issue to cause an IC result.  It is a form of cheating.
Beldragos Family:  Baal Zephon (Madina), Morganna - Adv (Madina), Atrox - Adv (Assassins), Galvenor (Retired), Mephista (Lukon), Luci (Sirion)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #279: March 20, 2017, 03:49:40 PM »

Does that mean a realm like Madina will be flooded by the beasts in every region effectively making our defensive bottleneck as Candiels Fields/Candiels moot?  Does that mean the beasts will instead swim across the open seas to the eastern realms bypassing Madina completely, thus making a direct result against the expansion of Luria for which the bottleneck realms are paying the price dearly?

And since it was mentioned, isn't using the game mechanics of taking lands knowing the game code will send more rogues against certain realms a way of warring against those realms without actually declaring war against the rules? 

If it is then that needs to stop, it is abusing a game mechanic which is an OOC issue to cause an IC result.  It is a form of cheating.

The monsters are on top of those you were already seeing. They were already spawning, just not landing. So whatever tactical advantage Candiels and Candiel Fields was giving you, it'll still give it. You'll just also have more land to defend.

Also, Madina has little moral high grounds to complain. Madina, D'Hara, Luria, Fissoa, and all other low-density realms have continuously expanded despite knowing that 1) they already have very low density and 2) monster spawns are regulated by density. It's just that, so far, Westgard had gotten 100% of the blowback of your expansion.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #280: March 20, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »
At present, it looks like all or almost all of the seabound monsters are those that just happened to wander into the sea. They will most likely wander back to approximately their point of origin (so most of them will land back in rogue lands).

The whole point of allowing monsters to go by sea, though, is so that it will be not just border realms like Madina that get hit with the monsters, but all the realms that border the inner sea.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #281: March 21, 2017, 01:07:11 AM »
At present, it looks like all or almost all of the seabound monsters are those that just happened to wander into the sea. They will most likely wander back to approximately their point of origin (so most of them will land back in rogue lands).

The whole point of allowing monsters to go by sea, though, is so that it will be not just border realms like Madina that get hit with the monsters, but all the realms that border the inner sea.

So they went into the seas... but didn't sail into further sea regions, closer to the eastern realms?

I guess the party in Sabadell's gonna last a while, then.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #282: March 21, 2017, 01:07:53 AM »
So they went into the seas... but didn't sail into further sea regions, closer to the eastern realms?

I guess the party in Sabadell's gonna last a while, then.

Right: these are monsters who are just wandering, not heading to anywhere specific.
Timothy Collett

Malus

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #283: March 26, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
Sabadell seemed to missed the boat on "not anywhere specific". Been great for boosting a new character, tho!  ;D

Do roaming monsters tend to 'bind up' in mountain areas with long travel times? I feel like I remember that but I didn't catch it on search.
Dwilight: Septimus the Hero (Westguard)
Beluaterra: Lilly the Courtier (Angmar)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #284: March 26, 2017, 08:00:59 PM »
Yea... For monsters that supposedly roam without any specific destination, the lack of monsters attacking Valkyrja, Eidulb, Paisly, Candiels, and just about every other coastal region, compared to the 100 000s of CS we've fought in Sabadell, is rather perplexing.