Author Topic: Monster Problems  (Read 123128 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Problems
« Reply #345: September 30, 2017, 09:51:40 PM »
So Delvin, how many monsters have their eyes on Sabadell this time around, just for fun? :P

Seems less ridiculous than before, though still puzzling how popular it is.

Right now? Not that many; just about 20k incoming. But you can probably see that from scout reports already.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #346: September 30, 2017, 11:25:31 PM »
Right now? Not that many; just about 20k incoming. But you can probably see that from scout reports already.

I meant from all regions in the continent. Last time around I think you had checked and been surprised by how many seemed to want to converge there, but I might have misunderstood what you meant.

Indeed, we got scout reports, so a pretty decent idea of what's lurking around in our regions and just beyond.

From what I'm seeing, looks as if unbugging triggered a double spawn: both all the rogues that should have spawned from normal rogue code since it bugged and all the rogues that should have spawned from the decreased densities achieved. Lots of monsters heading towards Sabadell despite only being adjacent to two regions, but the two other border regions also got their share of rogues. I suspect that many of the monsters that head to Sabadell might just be looking for a way East, but then again maybe not. Used to be suspected that Sabadell was so attractive to them because it was surrounded by just so many rogue regions, but we've since retaken the Shrine, Zereth, Forguthrie, so it's not as much anymore.

Sounds like a first wave of rogue may have already passed through us, though, but I also suspect there's still a lot to come and hit us. Densities are nowhere near close to being "fixed" yet, after all.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #347: September 30, 2017, 11:47:12 PM »
The problem before was not that monsters from, say, Vakreno Heaps were beelining for Sabadell. It was that, simply because of Sabadell's geography, monsters passing through that general area were much more likely to select it as a destination.

I think we killed a big chunk of that when we basically told them "treat high-density realms as non-targets", but there's likely to still be increased traffic through it just because it borders so many regions.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #348: October 01, 2017, 01:50:06 AM »
The problem before was not that monsters from, say, Vakreno Heaps were beelining for Sabadell. It was that, simply because of Sabadell's geography, monsters passing through that general area were much more likely to select it as a destination.

I think we killed a big chunk of that when we basically told them "treat high-density realms as non-targets", but there's likely to still be increased traffic through it just because it borders so many regions.

Ah, k.

The Shrine got pretty large hordes (up to 40k I think?) as did Forguthrie, many smaller hordes in our other regions, but while they are taking over these two regions and started then abandonned a third (in Zereth I think?), there's only about 5k and 10k in both of these regions right now. Same with many nearby regions like Eidulb Outskirts and the mountains. We got a few regions with no and almost no rogues, though, which is basically unprecedented in such an invasion (Aquitain, Gelene Outskirts, Ygg d'Razhuul, Zereth).

Not sure if that's how it's intended to be, just giving you a quick overview of what's what. Mind you, we did kill a metric !@#$ ton of monsters in Sabadell so far, if it weren't for that our other regions might be overwhelmed right now. Or they might have just swam on.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #349: November 28, 2018, 02:23:24 PM »
Monsters really should be triggered back as they were.

This is getting ridiculous. The dev team has always been saying that the realms should be closer to each other. And now, instead, we see the east migrating westward, far away from everyone else.

The East said the monsters blocked their war. Bull!@#$. When Westgard got annoyed, took us 1 month, and we were TOing the enemy capital. The monsters weren't to blame for the east's laziness. If they can't bring themselves to fight each other, then that's their problem.

The monsters were eased to give the east a chance to fight each other. They didn't do it. Instead, they went to colonize the West, and scheme against the one realm that was actually enjoying its PvE. Eastern density is decreased, and the prospect of war in the east is arguable lower than ever.

Just bring back the density-triggered monster invasions. Those were fun.

But what we've got right now? The status quo is just completely undoing everything those measures were meant to achieve.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #350: November 28, 2018, 09:35:46 PM »
And look. Now people are planning on fighting Westgard. PvP here we come. I don't see any problem.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #351: November 28, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »
And look. Now people are planning on fighting Westgard. PvP here we come. I don't see any problem.

A long distance war, utterly boring, upon the one realm that was never about PvP, and despises the mere idea of it.

Wonderful progress, that was?

Things were more fun just fighting the rogues. At least then, when clans spied on us, we didn't have to care.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #352: November 29, 2018, 12:38:13 AM »
A long distance war, utterly boring, upon the one realm that was never about PvP, and despises the mere idea of it.

Wonderful progress, that was?

Things were more fun just fighting the rogues. At least then, when clans spied on us, we didn't have to care.

And that realm made it PvP. How great is that.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #353: November 29, 2018, 03:54:06 AM »
And that realm made it PvP. How great is that.

If Westgard's players were enjoying the PvE, and that's what they were there for, then it's not great at all if that's being taken away from them.

Just because that's the way you like to play doesn't mean it's the way everybody has to play, so long as what they're doing isn't causing a problem for the island/game as a whole.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 03:57:31 AM by Anaris »
Timothy Collett

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #354: November 29, 2018, 03:58:24 AM »
Westgard's entire realm identity is based on PvE. It was set up that way by the players because they always expected the monsters to be around. Following recent discussion within the realm, its also become clear that by far the majority of the players enjoy the PvE play and would prefer to keep doing that.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #355: November 29, 2018, 05:10:52 AM »
Westgard's entire realm identity is based on PvE. It was set up that way by the players because they always expected the monsters to be around. Following recent discussion within the realm, its also become clear that by far the majority of the players enjoy the PvE play and would prefer to keep doing that.

Then shouldn't have caused issues with other players. Now it is a PvP realm whether you like it or not.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #356: November 29, 2018, 05:19:22 AM »
Then shouldn't have caused issues with other players. Now it is a PvP realm whether you like it or not.

I wasn't commenting on that aspect. Just the part about the monster spawns and the decline of the opportunities for PvE play caused by the reductions.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:22:48 AM by Foxglove »

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #357: November 29, 2018, 05:25:53 AM »
If Westgard's players were enjoying the PvE, and that's what they were there for, then it's not great at all if that's being taken away from them.

Just because that's the way you like to play doesn't mean it's the way everybody has to play, so long as what they're doing isn't causing a problem for the island/game as a whole.

Other realms are simply reacting to Westgards own actions, in so far that Westgard decided the best recourse to a new realm setting up near their borders and in land they consider their own was to attack said realm. If they would like to simply return to PvE quite likely the realms allied against them would drop their own plans and save themselves stupid amounts of travel if they ceased their own attacks against Tol Goldor.

Note I neither agree nor disagree with their action in the first place. I simply point out that there is a simple way tot avoid the PvP they don't want, and that the method is completely within their own power to implement. As for the monster spawns, my admittedly short experience in D'Hara is that we are seeing quite enough numbers of rogue forces threatening our border thank you very much :)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #358: November 29, 2018, 05:55:02 AM »
As for the monster spawns, my admittedly short experience in D'Hara is that we are seeing quite enough numbers of rogue forces threatening our border thank you very much :)

Out of curiosity, what sort of strength?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #359: November 29, 2018, 06:25:51 AM »
Out of curiosity, what sort of strength?

I don't really pay that much attention, I know we had to wait for one group to TO Raviel and move against Port Raviel as we needed a wall and militia to handle them. Admittedly our main army was in the south at the time.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.