Author Topic: Browser Based Gaming  (Read 44683 times)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Based Gaming
« Reply #30: July 06, 2011, 12:14:58 AM »
Hehe, glad to see Choice of Games was appreciated! Have to say actually, that after a replay of all of them, I probs wouldn't put Choice of the Dragon as my favourite any more >.< I really can't wait until they throw up all the Part 2's to the other games up there.

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
« Reply #31: July 07, 2011, 03:32:09 AM »
Hehe, glad to see Choice of Games was appreciated! Have to say actually, that after a replay of all of them, I probs wouldn't put Choice of the Dragon as my favourite any more >.< I really can't wait until they throw up all the Part 2's to the other games up there.

Indeed! I loved the politics involved in the romance game (looking forward to part 2), and I haven't gone too far on the vampire one yet. So which one *is* your favorite?
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: July 10, 2011, 03:33:15 PM »
Indeed! I loved the politics involved in the romance game (looking forward to part 2), and I haven't gone too far on the vampire one yet. So which one *is* your favorite?

Hah, me too. I loved clambering that political beanpole. But the vampire game I've played a few times now and the sheer breadth of things you can do is breathtaking. There appear to be several quite drastically different storylines you can follow and enjoy depending on your choices whereas the other games have a more linear storyline and progression that don't change all too much with each playthrough. As such, I think the vampire game has to take the cake!

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: July 11, 2011, 12:21:45 AM »
Started playing Dave's Galaxy recently, I quite enjoy it http://www.davesgalaxy.com/
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: July 11, 2011, 08:48:37 AM »
Started playing Dave's Galaxy recently, I quite enjoy it http://www.davesgalaxy.com/

This looks interesting. Is it free?

Also, I like the way they summarize the game. It's pretty much what peaked my interest. Is BM's homepage summary this attractive/concise sounding to prospective new players? Cause it should be.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: July 11, 2011, 10:59:59 AM »
This looks interesting. Is it free?

Also, I like the way they summarize the game. It's pretty much what peaked my interest. Is BM's homepage summary this attractive/concise sounding to prospective new players? Cause it should be.
It sounds the same as every other browser space game.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: July 11, 2011, 11:29:41 AM »

Aye. After a cursory glance I'm reminded of BlackNova Traders, which was going strong way back in 2001. Think the software was open source or something so every man and his dog could and did host wildly different versions/flavours of it across the internet.

That's not to say Dave's Galaxy will be a bad game like. Just not sure I'd have the stamina for that sort of game these days >.<

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: July 11, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »
Yes it is free. Works on turns, 1 turn per day. I literally spend 5 minutes on it right now to control my 6 planets, I'm sure as I claim more planets it will start to take me more time, or when I get into a war. It is based on a philosophy common in German Board games, so the game is simple yet lends itself to deep emergent game play.

Blacknova traders is a derivative of Trade Wars an old BBS game. Pretty different to this game, which is probably closer to something like O-game, but with less pressure to be constantly online to guard your systems and without the constant upgrading of facilities.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: July 11, 2011, 09:15:14 PM »

Perhaps, but I just thought it was a well-written game description.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: July 18, 2011, 01:31:40 AM »
So far I am loving Dave Galaxy. The only problem is the lack of communication with players near me, but then that is a problem for most games, one of the best features of BM is that belonging to a realm actually gives you people to interact with.l

A game for all those strategy players out there almansur.net . Has some premium account thing that you pay for, but I am happily playing for free right now. City management, armies and 1 turn a day.

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: July 18, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »
Just started playing Dave's galaxy as well. Looks cool. Right now there isn't much to do other than send colony ships. I'm quite new to this though, and I might be missing a lot of things to do.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: July 19, 2011, 01:03:49 AM »
Just started playing Dave's galaxy as well. Looks cool. Right now there isn't much to do other than send colony ships. I'm quite new to this though, and I might be missing a lot of things to do.

There are some upgrades for your planet, but to be honest I get confused about how much they help or hinder you. The game is changing rapidly apparently so a lot of it seems to be suck it up and find out. Right now I send out colony ships every turn. The new colonies seem to take a while to start getting useful, so I just make more and more of them. I have some automatic trader ships, which well just do their thing. Recently started making some piracy fleets to bug my larger neighbours, and a small combat fleet to try and take over some of my smaller neighbours. No combat yet but still having fun and spending less then 5 minutes a day :)

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: July 19, 2011, 04:41:26 AM »
I'm gonna try out Dave's Galaxy, is there any way to get in contact with y'all there? Or any chance of y'all helping me understand what's going on? We should make an in-game BM clan if they have that sort of thing. Anyway, signing up now, let me know.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: July 19, 2011, 05:24:27 AM »
I'm gonna try out Dave's Galaxy, is there any way to get in contact with y'all there? Or any chance of y'all helping me understand what's going on? We should make an in-game BM clan if they have that sort of thing. Anyway, signing up now, let me know.

I've been trying to work that out. Only just realised that the single planet that I declared war against, is an outlying colony of one of the biggest super powers in my area, who is also the number 1 player in the game, so um damn. My next few Colony ships will be heading WAY out of the system to establish a second based, but it will take them weeks to arrive and weeks to get to a stage where they can do anything as well.

So far as I can work out, you can only message players that have planets close to yourself. I suppose if we can work out a way to establish a set of colonies near each other that would work.

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: July 19, 2011, 05:42:09 AM »
Wow, there is so little help information in this game it is insane. I've already read through everything available. Anyway, just made a couple colony ships and sent them to the two closest planets. Not sure what else to do.

Is there any sort of system for figuring out where you are in relation to other ppl? Character name in game: KingDante

P.S. Are there any other games that happen to have groups of BM players in them that I don't know about? That archmage game sounds interesting to say the least. I have some time for games but not 24 hours at a time amount of time. although that specific heavy time based game sounds cool.