Author Topic: Atamara's Fate  (Read 62758 times)

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Atamara's Fate
« Reply #60: May 11, 2016, 08:33:21 AM »
I think I do need to be clear on something though.

BattleMaster is a competition.  Everybody is trying to win.

What the Cagil-Tara alliance did was win against EVERYBODY.  They beat all the other players on the continent.  They beat a game engine designed to weaken large nations and to make it hard for larger alliances to march to support each other.  Through diplomacy and military force, the players behind the Cagil-Tara alliance smashed everything and everybody.

And once again, winning in Atamara was not bad.  It was amazing that anybody managed to do it.

It was the lack of follow through after the win that hurt the continent.
First of all, I agree everyone of course will try to win. It is in people nature I believe.

Although this topic is about Atamara and what-it-would-be scenarios, do please allow me to share a brief history from Colonies where previously there was also a dominating alliance.

When a realm or alliance of realms grows too big, it is inevitable a domination will be found. Lukon realm used to hold 3 cities: Lukon city(their own namesake realm), Portion city(after they defeated Portion realm), Wetham city(after they defeated Wetham realm). While Oritolon used to hold 3 cities: Oritolon city(their own namesake realm), Alebad city(after they defeated Alebad realm) and Alowca city(after they defeated Alowca realm). Outer Tilog used to hold 2 cities as well: Outer Tilog city(their own namesake realm), Giblot city(after they defeated Giblot realm). The alliance of Lukon and Oritolon managed to defeat alliance of Alebad, Alowca, Portion, Wetham in the wars that follow. While in the north, Outer Tilog defeated its old enemy Giblot.

So you can see from the short summary here, it is possible to dominate an island. I don't think this happened on Atamara island only, my experience in Colonies island can be considered as one too. I think it happens for Arcaea on FEI island as well. But it will have many consequences. As some players already stated here, the players of the losing realms will likely to leave the island. Unless we come out with something or a solution. Either the winning realm absorb the characters of losing realms or we would end up losing characters.

At one point around the freezing of lands time when Colonies island realm was considered among many islands to be freeze, the players from many realms came together and decided upon a set of rules: 1 realm can only hold 1 city. If 1 realm hold more than 1 city, it will be destroyed or attacked by other realms. This is paved to be Colonial Senate guild foundation, besides we trying to establish only infiltrators realm as Assassins. Colonial Senate guild consists of all characters from all realms. Anyone can join up. Call it players manual reset, if you want. We tried to play it IC. At that point when 1 city 1 realm rule come into effect, from 1 city 1 realm we had not enough characters to even attend Tournaments or hold Tournaments successfully. However we realize we must do something to gather players interests. Or all will be lost.

On another note, I think developers realize big realms are starting to become a common occurrence and thus they release the game codes to prevent it.

You do not win BattleMaster.
Perhaps our players need to be reminded by our Uncle at Battlemaster Wikipedia. He says the following:

"How do I win?"

Uncle Freddie gives you a startled look, then bursts out laughing. He laughs so hard he nearly chokes, but finally settles down, grinning broadly.

"You can't win, child. It doesn't make any sense. You can no more win this here life than you can win an earthquake.
But I will tell you this: you can certainly feel like a winner, and it's not hard at all. Look at your Uncle Frederick here. I've got the respect of my peers, I have a good chunk of savings and a title of land, and when I speak, people listen. I've taught dozens of you youngsters the ropes, and watched most of you grow up to be fine, productive troop leaders. I still get letters from some of you, asking how I am and asking advice. If that ain't winning, I don't know what is."

Listen to your uncle. There is only one way to win BattleMaster -- by making friends and having fun. Be magnanimous in victory and gracious in defeat. Be attentive and courteous. Remember that even if your characters hate each other, their players can still be friendly. If you do these things you'll be well-liked, and well-respected, and there's no better definition of "winning" than that.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Introduction/Winning
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)