Author Topic: Dude, where's my C'thonia?  (Read 9038 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Dude, where's my C'thonia?
« Topic Start: June 21, 2011, 06:09:53 AM »
So, what's happening with the rebirth of Nighthelm? They're down to 12 nobles and have a "massive" 4000 CS in mobile and militia forces. Are they just dying out? Perhaps they need a good war to get the excitement flowing once more...

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dude, where's my C'thonia?
« Reply #1: June 21, 2011, 08:07:10 AM »
They're kinda stuck.  They can't hold their land without attention, but they threw in their lot with Arcaea in the invasion of Zonasa, so they are now surrounded by nations who would love to absorb them with a decent cassus belli, but they don't dare declare away from Arcaea either.

The animus that drove them was Solifereum but with everyone stuck at home trying to hold their lands together, they probably can't do much to gain a new passionate cause which means they'll continue to dwindle.  It's a real rough spot, especially when they're the only nation not getting in on the action.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 21, 2011, 08:15:12 AM »
They're kinda stuck.  They can't hold their land without attention, but they threw in their lot with Arcaea in the invasion of Zonasa, so they are now surrounded by nations who would love to absorb them with a decent cassus belli, but they don't dare declare away from Arcaea either.

The animus that drove them was Solifereum but with everyone stuck at home trying to hold their lands together, they probably can't do much to gain a new passionate cause which means they'll continue to dwindle.  It's a real rough spot, especially when they're the only nation not getting in on the action.

As far as I know their attack on PoZ had less to do with any prompting by Arcaea, and more the desire of the King to reclaim Nighthelm lands. It sure may have seemed like there were joining Arcaea, but that raiding attack of ours on PoZ was never supposed to cost them land, otherwise we would have stopped in a region to assist C'Thonia TO's.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 21, 2011, 08:36:29 AM »
Well, either way most people probably assume they're in the bag for Arcaea, which just goes to show if you're going to jump in to a fight, make sure you win it.

Meh, if Ciann can manage to destroy Arcachon and Aenelia utterly and really pisses Jenred off in the process, she might take her merry band there.  Probably the good merry band too, given the Vanimedle/Himoura feud.  She'd stir up something within a month.  It would probably take a year to lose that badly, so by then C'thonia will probably be a ghost town.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 21, 2011, 02:59:22 PM »
So, what's happening with the rebirth of Nighthelm?
They have a Himoura in charge. Therefore they will shrivel and die, while proudly, and loudly, claiming that they are grandly victorious, and on the verge of conquering the entire island.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 21, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »
It's not Arcaea that's keeping them alive at the moment, rather the fact that idiots in Kindara and Cathay decided to rescue C'thonia last time they attacked Zonasa (which didn't really have much to do with siding with Arcaea, they just like attacking us.  And losing badly), and tell Zonasa that we were not allowed to eliminate the threat to our security.  Grr.  So, for some reason (honestly, I'm pretty sure Zonasa could take on all three realms) we decided to agree to a treaty that prevents us from entering their lands unless they enter ours first.  On the plus side, if they do attack us, all the realms that border Zonasa are obligated to help us destroy C'thonia totally.

Hmm, I wonder if I can engineer a false flag operation to get this to happen. . . .

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 21, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »
...Cathay...tell Zonasa that we were not allowed to eliminate the threat to our security.

Yes, Cathay do seem to like doing that, don't they.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 21, 2011, 08:36:09 PM »
Yes, Cathay do seem to like doing that, don't they.
Honesty I don't know why anyone actually listens to them, Morgan has been advocating forcibly shutting them up for a bit now.  Though things may change with their new ruler -- I was disappointed when he sided with Arcaea, of course, but he seems to be changing his tune a bit now.  And they did get rid of Xarnelf, so I suppose that may actually end up helping the war effort.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 21, 2011, 08:39:33 PM »
but that raiding attack of ours on PoZ was never supposed to cost them land, otherwise we would have stopped in a region to assist C'Thonia TO's.
In fact, didn't Jenred pull out early so that we could fight C'thonia?

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 21, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »
At this point C'thonia needs more nobles - we can't hold the regions we do have without police work.   Which means we can't go join the war.   We have the funds and the desire to do so - but it would mean giving up regions that we need to feed Azros and Hadthes.

If we had a few more nobles, it wouldn't be an issue I don't think, but right now it's more the lack of estates that's hampering war than anything else.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 21, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »
The negotiations surrounding the raid on Zonasa and everything that happened later were so blasted complex that it took me two months to set it up in the first place, and then it all came crashing down in short order because of some treaties no one had informed me of, making the following negotiations even more complex.

Honestly, I can't remember what all of the factors involved were.

And let's just say that Jenred would be very interested in discussing dealing with Cathay.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 21, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »
At this point C'thonia needs more nobles - we can't hold the regions we do have without police work.   Which means we can't go join the war.   We have the funds and the desire to do so - but it would mean giving up regions that we need to feed Azros and Hadthes.

If we had a few more nobles, it wouldn't be an issue I don't think, but right now it's more the lack of estates that's hampering war than anything else.
Sadly in the same situation on Dwilight -- it's not a fun one to be in, and hard to get out of.  Honestly, I think the solution is giving up regions, but few realms are willing to do that -- and I'd guess even suggesting that to Thain would get you accused of treason.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #12: June 21, 2011, 11:39:58 PM »
Maybe the reason you're not getting more nobles is because of Thain...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 22, 2011, 01:57:35 AM »
In fact, didn't Jenred pull out early so that we could fight C'thonia?

Yes C'thonia attack against PoZ was one of the reasons Arcaea did not pursue the war longer.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 22, 2011, 02:21:34 AM »
Yes C'thonia attack against PoZ was one of the reasons Arcaea did not pursue the war longer.

That's...Not precisely true.  Several things, including discussions of a treaty between Zonasa and C'thonia and events with Arcachon heating up contributed to that.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"