Author Topic: Is Dwilight really SMA?  (Read 40196 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Is Dwilight really SMA?
« Reply #105: June 27, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »
Wait... You're trying to say the scribe is going to faithfully record all the noble's mispronunciations, grammatical errors, contractions, foibles of speech, and regional dialects faithfully in a phonetic transcription of sounds instead of actually writing the words that the noble is saying, and do it in a manner that makes the noble sound like some 6 year old, backwoods,  uneducated, retarded "differently-abled" kid with a speech impediment? Regardless of who writes it, it's a letter.

That's why scribe mortality rates are apparently so high. Apparently most nobles who have scribes expect them to be spellcheckers, grammar checkers, and basically writers who can read their minds.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #106: June 27, 2011, 09:49:20 PM »
That's why scribe mortality rates are apparently so high. Apparently most nobles who have scribes expect them to be spellcheckers, grammar checkers, and basically writers who can read their minds.

What else am I paying them for?   I'm more than able to find a child to stamp my seal on the letter, but a good scribe who can spell?    If they can't do that, the peasants don't mind a good hanging!

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #107: June 27, 2011, 09:51:31 PM »
Ah, and it is so tough to find smart lower class people to be scribes in the first place...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: July 02, 2011, 01:31:15 AM »

The baffling thing is that nobles even notice the scribal errors. They ought not be literate.

Correction: the baffling thing is that we are playing nobles who primarily communicate through letters.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: July 02, 2011, 01:33:21 AM »
Ah, and it is so tough to find smart lower class people to be scribes in the first place...

... Especially in Nightmarch?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chas

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: July 02, 2011, 07:52:01 AM »
If I were you, I would act like you love religion and try to convince them everybody does.
Realize not everyone thinks like you and not everyone loves religion.
Religion back in those days was not only chosen, it was also shoved down their throats with the most horrific threats of punishments from god carried out by man.

Karnen

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: July 04, 2011, 04:56:13 AM »
If I were you, I would act like you love religion and try to convince them everybody does.
Realize not everyone thinks like you and not everyone loves religion.
Religion back in those days was not only chosen, it was also shoved down their throats with the most horrific threats of punishments from god carried out by man.

Ok I'm going to do that  ;D