Author Topic: Opt-In Advertisement  (Read 22109 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Opt-In Advertisement
« Topic Start: March 01, 2011, 04:28:13 PM »
Something very new to the game - another part of hell freezing over:

BattleMaster is a free game. You can play it without paying anything and I am quite proud of it being advertisement-free.

To cover its costs and pay for occasional expenses, BattleMaster is supported by donations. However, over the years many players have suggested that they do not have the money to donate - especially players from foreign countries where a few Euros is a days wage or more. And then there are, of course, many players who are very young and don't have PayPal nor the means for bank transfers.

I have decided to make an experiment. I often do things in unconventional ways, and this is no different. To the best of my knowledge, BattleMaster is the first website with opt-in advertisement. There are some where you can opt out (sometimes for a fee), but with BattleMaster, you don't see any advertisement unless you explicitly say "yes, I want to support the game this way" and enable ads in your user preferences.

And, just to be even more interesting, we give you several choices regarding the space you want to sacrifice for ads and the type of ads you are willing to endure.
A large skyscraper ad down the right-hand side of the screen, if you have a widescreen display. Or a wide banner at the top, or a smaller box in the corner. Your choice.
Less intrusive text-only ads, or multimedia ads as well? Again, your choice.

Let me know what you think, please. This is an experiment, and I really want and need your feedback.