Author Topic: Opt-In Advertisement  (Read 21785 times)

Luegg

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: Opt-In Advertisement
« Reply #15: March 02, 2011, 03:37:55 AM »
It only generates revenue on clicks. Many, many years ago money was paid for views, but I don't think anyone does that anymore.

Actually some do, its usually flashy and often intrusive and its for the sake of branding. I have also seen studies that they actually work (increase in sales)

But back to the topic. I actually like the idea of opt-in. It basically means no less immersion for me (because i am not turning them on) and gives opportunity to those that do not mind. My pickle is,  that advertisment is without any value by itself and therefore its spirit goes against the spirit of chivalry and nobility. Now there is an idea, force the adds to advys and make it impossible for nobles to have them  : p

Lets take an extreme example. Basically if you have ever played any online games that give you opportunity to earn extra "special points" for clicking various links with time limit on when you can click them again, well its not very far from that to the users sitting infront of the computer and waiting for the half hour to pass just so they can get a bit of special points. Basically I do not care much to playing games with such people. I am not judging, I was like that also. Probably still am, just not doing it anymore.

I am not sure if I am explaining myself and this is continuous problem for me when I am trying to describe why I find something to be of true value. The best I can say for such thing, object, person (or game in this case) is that it has true spirit. In that perspective adding adds will make this a bit lesser game.

I am also not some religious fanatic, after all I have been creating banners (and worse) for couple of years professionally.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #16: March 02, 2011, 06:39:19 AM »
I think I understand where you're coming from. As I said myself, I strictly dislike ads myself, I have AdBlock installed into all my browsers, etc. For me, this is one of the most daring experiments, ever.

Also, I have to correct something, and Luegg is right. Digging deeper into Google AdSense, it turns out that there is a small percentage of ads that pay CPM - "per thousand views". From the little data I could gather yesterday, it's 0.5% of the total views, which turns out to be about 13 views - far below the threshold of paying anything at all. So it's negliegable.

Stien Family

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 02, 2011, 07:48:24 AM »
I will look at the option and allow it to be viable for the duration of the experiment.  But I do not like ads and usually stay away from games that have ads.  But on the other hand if you find that this help you generate money for the game and I still have the option to opt out of seeing them if I donate or not.  That will be fine with me as I would opt out of seeing them and keep playing the game the way I have for that last 5 years.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #18: March 02, 2011, 08:11:21 AM »
Well, you don't have the option to opt-out. You have to opt-in - unless you explicitly say "I want to see ads" in your user options, you will never see them. ;-)

I find it an important difference. "opt out" is the spam model - "we bombard you with ads, you can say no, let's see if you can say no faster than we multiply". Opt-in is the model for adults - "unless I know you want it, I will assume that you don't".

egamma

« Reply #19: March 02, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »
I would be okay with a small, traditional banner about the size of the "battlemaster forum", but not in BM proper. It could be here on the forums, in war islands, and on the core login page, but I don't want to see it in battlemaster--I'm not sure where it would go anyway.

And, I doubt I would click the ads, but you never know.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 02, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »
Thanks. I'm well aware that this is totally un-BattleMaster. I have several reasons for going this route, one being as I mentioned that people have actually asked if there's a non-donation way they can contribute.

I'm interested in knowing why you think it is wrong, even though doing nothing means everything stays the same for you? That's not a trick question, I am seriously interested in the answer.

I personally can't see anything as being bad when it has no undesirable negative impact on players while having indirect positive impacts.

I'm also allergic to ads, but if the next guy doesn't mind them, and it fills the game's coffers, then why not let him bear the ads? That's what I think.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #21: March 02, 2011, 02:38:32 PM »
Actually, egamma, I've just had the same thought not an hour ago.

Yes, I think the ads don't fit into BM itself. But here on the forum, or on the Wiki, they would be much less immersion-breaking.

Metsamees

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 02, 2011, 02:41:43 PM »
I generally dont even register advertisements, unless they span the entire page or more.

If it helps BM, sure i'll click on some, maybe on many,
i wont probably pay attention what the ad is about or what it wants to sell though :]
Click-n-close.
(sorry im just not interested in useless c**p,
any groin enhancer or extension,
registrating on some sites i lack interest in,
or even inheriting bazillions from my dead grandfathers good friend who he met in WWII when they shared stolen whiskey behind the IS-3 or Tiger I
.... oh right that last one comes in emails, my bad)

but i'll click on some, maybe many.

Anyway, tested out that advertisement options.
Nice touch on the "where it appears" part, by the way.

Im generally for the idea.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 02, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »
How much do you get per click or per add active? maybe it will be worthwhile to show players how much, in terms of money, there personally contributing to the game.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #24: March 02, 2011, 03:05:47 PM »
How much do you get per click or per add active? maybe it will be worthwhile to show players how much, in terms of money, there personally contributing to the game.

I will do that if it sticks, just like I show how much donations I've received. But I only get sum totals, it's impossible to attribute it to specific users.

Metsamees

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 02, 2011, 04:48:07 PM »
Heres an idea.
For those who have alowed the ads, is a button in that toolbar thing up there, so he/she could turn it off after he/she is done with it for today, or a while.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 03, 2011, 02:34:19 AM »
I like the idea of having another way to support BM.
Maybe the Amazon link (or other company link), that gives a small but usefull % of what people spend on it, is a better idea.
I prefer to donate directly, and I share the same feeling against advertising but, if someone really want to help, and if this can help, those people will have a option instead of nothing.
Last time I've read about advertising the result was like near 1% for a mass campaign. But Facebook show us every day that this is something that must have changed.

Life show us that people usually expect something in return of donations. I like to believe BM community is made of a special kind of people that dont follow the "commoners" (the usual) :p

I wish I had a brilliant idea for this issue. I don't.
I just admire you Tom, and what you did to have this special group at your side and will do whatever I can to help.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 03, 2011, 09:14:49 PM »
since it's per click, there isn't much point asking how adblock would work with it, is there.

ie... on.. but blocked.
firefox

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 03, 2011, 09:18:40 PM »
I feel the same in simply being happy able do something help support this great game, and likewise had no trouble at all getting used to seeing an ad on my screen, especially with having been able chose have it there.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

Rekhyt

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 04, 2011, 09:56:33 AM »
I've personally added "@@http://*.battlemaster.org/*" to my AdBlock+ settings so that I can turn on the ads and they'll actually show up.  I don't know how long I'll keep them there, but for now the small text box is perfect for me.

I'm glad to see something like this; I have wanted to support BattleMaster, but I don't really have all that much extra cash (because I don't want to be a jerk and just donate a single Euro), and I don't use the fourth character slot I have now.  I'll have to make sure to occasionally click one of the ads so that it actually makes some revenue :p