Author Topic: Opt-In Advertisement  (Read 21791 times)

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Opt-In Advertisement
« Reply #30: March 04, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »
since it's per click, there isn't much point asking how adblock would work with it, is there.

ie... on.. but blocked.

Actually adblock should only hide text elements instead of blocking them. Thus an impression MIGHT be generated.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #31: March 04, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »
Actually adblock should only hide text elements instead of blocking them. Thus an impression MIGHT be generated.

Don't think so. The ads are included via some javascript, and I'm pretty sure AdBlock prevents the execution of that script.

But I'm perfectly fine with people using AdBlock.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 04, 2011, 02:01:38 PM »
yeah.. but it's a bit pointless to opt in and block.. if it doesn't do anything for you.

obviously you can't go around asking for a cheque... and turn around telling people to block
firefox

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #33: March 04, 2011, 04:01:52 PM »
By the way, the Skyscraper ads sometimes push the main content down a few screens.  When I click "show unread posts since last visit" the list is pushed all the way below the ads.  It also pushes down list of threads on this forum. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #34: March 04, 2011, 04:11:11 PM »
By the way, the Skyscraper ads sometimes push the main content down a few screens.  When I click "show unread posts since last visit" the list is pushed all the way below the ads.  It also pushes down list of threads on this forum. :)

I've tried all I can to prevent that, but there are some instances where it still happens. Switch to a different ad layout if you are affected.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: March 07, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »
I'm one of those people who asked for a non-donation way to contribute.  But I think the problem with opt-in advertisement would be the same:  would I be the target audience for those ads, considering it's very unlikely that I'd buy anything online? 

egamma

« Reply #36: March 07, 2011, 07:56:57 PM »
I'm one of those people who asked for a non-donation way to contribute.  But I think the problem with opt-in advertisement would be the same:  would I be the target audience for those ads, considering it's very unlikely that I'd buy anything online?

Click on the ads that you have some interest in, it should train the ads to show more relevant stuff.

That's what tracking cookies are for, after all.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #37: March 08, 2011, 10:09:18 AM »
After a good start, ad revenue has dropped to almost nothing after I moved it to the forum. That is probably because only about 10% of the players even visit the forum.

So, my choices right now are to bring it back into the game, or remove it because it simply isn't worth it.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: March 08, 2011, 01:38:09 PM »
After a good start, ad revenue has dropped to almost nothing after I moved it to the forum. That is probably because only about 10% of the players even visit the forum.

So, my choices right now are to bring it back into the game, or remove it because it simply isn't worth it.

...Or wait a little while and see if more players get interested in the forum?

I strongly suspect, by the way, that there's a second reason revenue dropped way off: At first, people were like, "Hey, cool!", turned on ads, and clicked on a few so they could support you.  Once they'd done that, though, the ads started to recede into the background, as ads tend to for most people online today.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: March 08, 2011, 08:53:59 PM »
That is probably because only about 10% of the players even visit the forum.

What percentage of people participated on the D-List?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: March 08, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »
I don't have any problem with the ads. If it generates revenue for the game, then I'll keep using them.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 08, 2011, 10:36:16 PM »
I don't see the issue with having them in the game. For those that feel it breaks there immersion too much, they can switch them off there, and maybe switch them on in the forum. I didn't find the ads affected my enjoyment or immersion at all, and was rather sad to see them go. The other problem might be that people haven't turned the ads on in the forums. I know that I was only just reminded to do so.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #42: March 08, 2011, 10:42:37 PM »
I don't see the issue with having them in the game. For those that feel it breaks there immersion too much, they can switch them off there, and maybe switch them on in the forum. I didn't find the ads affected my enjoyment or immersion at all, and was rather sad to see them go. The other problem might be that people haven't turned the ads on in the forums. I know that I was only just reminded to do so.

It's not just a matter of you thinking so or not, with regards to the immersion. It's also a matter of my pride. And I think I am happier with the game having no advertisement.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #43: March 15, 2011, 12:24:37 AM »
Clicks have been at a constant 0 for the past three days, despite member count on the forum increasing and ad views being between 500 and 900.

I think we can call this a failure. There's no point in spamming people with ads if it doesn't bring anyone anything. There may be another spike every time I post something like this, but that's not a sustainable model. :-)

I think we can say that donations is where it's at. It confirms what I've been saying for years, that people willingly give to causes they think worthy, and the less you force them, the more willing and happy to contribute they are. That's a business model I rather prefer.

Nevertheless, so that nobody can say I'm not giving it a fair shot, I'll keep the ads in for a while longer.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #44: May 31, 2011, 04:24:31 PM »
for some reason Google has disabled my ad account and I really don't think I should bother with them being totally unhelpful (as in, not even explaining why) and the few cents or so that it's all worth.

I'll disable the whole ad thing and be done with it. !@#$ advertisement.