Author Topic: monsters and swordfighting  (Read 7034 times)

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
monsters and swordfighting
« Topic Start: June 22, 2011, 08:28:11 AM »
On Dwilight I have been fighting monsters for about a year now. Average about once a week. I have been leading infantry, but my sword fighting never goes up. I think it is at like 10% or 15%. Do monsters(and undead?) not give experience for traits like sword fighting, or am i extremely unlucky?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: monsters and swordfighting
« Reply #1: June 22, 2011, 08:32:43 AM »
Sword skill does not go up very much from battles, unfortunately.  I had a Hero who fought around once a week or more for two, three years with all infantry and he never got above 25%.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 22, 2011, 08:48:05 AM »
O okay thanks.

Does leadership go up easier then? I have a character that got over 50% leadership just from battles.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 22, 2011, 09:04:05 AM »
Leadership does in my experience, yes.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 22, 2011, 09:16:32 AM »
Besides, unless your noble is a hero, he won't actually participate in battle - I believe.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 22, 2011, 02:39:12 PM »
Besides, unless your noble is a hero, he won't actually participate in battle - I believe.

Anyone leading a infantry unit can get an increase in sword fighting. I have used that fact to try and keep my infils sword fighting levels stable when I'm not actively sulking in the shadows.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 22, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
Anyone leading a infantry unit can get an increase in sword fighting. I have used that fact to try and keep my infils sword fighting levels stable when I'm not actively sulking in the shadows.

Why is that? Does a nobles swordfighting skill increase simply by looking at his men fight?:P

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 22, 2011, 08:15:44 PM »
Nobles also get wounded and seriously wounded, so they actively fight.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 22, 2011, 08:25:46 PM »
Nobles also get wounded and seriously wounded, so they actively fight.

Heroes fight. Non-heroes get fought.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 22, 2011, 09:27:28 PM »
Heroes fight. Non-heroes get fought.

Does swordskill decrease the chance of getting wounded?

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 23, 2011, 11:37:51 AM »
A nobleman doesn't fight. He stands in the back row and "supervises". Occasionally a plucky enemy infantryman makes it to him, and gets put down by nobleman's superior swordsmanship skills. (Even 5% is pretty good odds against a peasant.) Then the nobleman complains that he got peasant blood on his plate-mail.
------
qui audet vincit

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 23, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »
!@#$ infantryman, it's those gods-be-damned archers that do the most damage to your nobles.  I swear, my characters have more arrow-scars than everything else combined.

I always figured the nobles were giving orders and propping up the troops' spirits, and using themselves as a strategic reserve, especially to fight their opposing numbers.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 23, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »
I more see it like nobles of both parties gather on a hilltop for tea, and look at their men fighting each other ;)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 23, 2011, 02:03:42 PM »
!@#$ infantryman, it's those gods-be-damned archers that do the most damage to your nobles.  I swear, my characters have more arrow-scars than everything else combined.

I've always thought there seems to be a higher chance of being wounded if your unit is wiped out by arrow fire rather than melee. Is that actually the case?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 23, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »
I've always thought there seems to be a higher chance of being wounded if your unit is wiped out by arrow fire rather than melee. Is that actually the case?

Anecdotally, I'd say yes.  I've seen more Heroes killed by archers, and my characters have gotten wounded more by archers than by melee.  But, that may just be my perception filter at work.