Author Topic: Gameplay Feedback / Questions  (Read 32844 times)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Re: Gameplay Feedback / Questions
« Reply #30: September 01, 2016, 10:33:31 PM »
Well, we got our wolves right on schedule at least XD One wolf damaged a whole 5 fields XD

Suggestion:

One of the queries is on how the smaller families are at a great disadvantage due to their size.
Another is people not logging in (never activating account). I suspect this may increase on steam because people are used to instant-action games. Or it may decrease because more people will be joining. In any case...

What about a game mechanic called "adoption" that can be implemented on, say, day 5 (will receive the villager on day 6)? The smaller families will get the chance to adopt a person from an inactive family for the cost of using a villager for that day, and the day after also, so they will have 6 people.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: September 02, 2016, 07:49:10 AM »
I'm still uncertain as to whether there should be different sized starting families or not. I don't really see any benefit to starting with fewer people - yes you eat less food but it takes longer to collect resources and build/upgrade defences and I don't think that offset balances.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #32: September 02, 2016, 06:32:40 PM »
The manual says that foxes come on day 3, but I don't see any evidence that they did come. No tracks or event notifications. Or would that only be if they hit walls or chicken houses?

The manual lists the earliest day that they can appear. That does not mean they are guaranteed to appear on that day.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #33: September 02, 2016, 06:36:17 PM »
I'm still uncertain as to whether there should be different sized starting families or not. I don't really see any benefit to starting with fewer people - yes you eat less food but it takes longer to collect resources and build/upgrade defences and I don't think that offset balances.

This is one of the things I want to balance out during beta testing.

I like the idea of different family sizes. It just needs to be balanced properly. Maybe I can tie it to plots - the inside plots could have smaller families, the outside larger, or something.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: September 02, 2016, 06:46:45 PM »
This is one of the things I want to balance out during beta testing.

I like the idea of different family sizes. It just needs to be balanced properly. Maybe I can tie it to plots - the inside plots could have smaller families, the outside larger, or something.

Or starting resources? At the moment this appears quite random. Could still be random but with a weighting so that smaller families get more.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #35: September 03, 2016, 01:22:26 PM »
Or starting resources? At the moment this appears quite random. Could still be random but with a weighting so that smaller families get more.

It already is like that :-)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: September 08, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
Question 1: If you are currently staying in a hut on common land, and storing your resources in the hut, will other people be able to take them from you?

Question 2: The manual says that resources can be moved from one owned hut to another. How is this done please?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:28:50 PM by Bael »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #37: September 10, 2016, 11:43:30 AM »
Question 1: If you are currently staying in a hut on common land, and storing your resources in the hut, will other people be able to take them from you?

Question 2: The manual says that resources can be moved from one owned hut to another. How is this done please?

1 - yes, common houses are just that, everyone can use them.

2 - I missed that. It was a planned feature that I never added. The line will be removed in the next manual update.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: September 12, 2016, 06:10:41 PM »
1 - yes, common houses are just that, everyone can use them.

2 - I missed that. It was a planned feature that I never added. The line will be removed in the next manual update.

So...the next logical question is - if two people are drawing on common resources from a common hut, how does the game decide who gets them? This could become important if there are more aspects of cooperation.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #39: September 12, 2016, 07:48:39 PM »
So...the next logical question is - if two people are drawing on common resources from a common hut, how does the game decide who gets them? This could become important if there are more aspects of cooperation.

This is anwered in the manual, actually:

Conflicts

Actions can conflict with each other. For example, the Meier family tries to take a piece of land from its neighbours, the Schulz. However, Juergen Schulz is planting a field in that same spot in the same turn. What will happen?
 The rule for resolving conflicts is:
  • Taking or clearing land and harvesting only succeed if no other action targets the same plot.
  • Planting only succeeds if no other action, except maybe another plant action, targets the same plot.
  • Building succeeds if no other action, or an identical build action, or a planting action targets the same plot.
  For resource conflicts, it is important to know that forest actions (gathering wood, stone or food) are resolved before village actions (building, repair, etc.). Actions within the village are resolved in random order.
 For eating, the most hungry family members will eat first (within those who have the same hunger level, the order is random).
 Monsters are resolved last, after all actions by villagers, obviously (first day, then night).

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: September 12, 2016, 08:00:35 PM »
This is anwered in the manual, actually:

Conflicts

Actions can conflict with each other. For example, the Meier family tries to take a piece of land from its neighbours, the Schulz. However, Juergen Schulz is planting a field in that same spot in the same turn. What will happen?
 The rule for resolving conflicts is:
  • Taking or clearing land and harvesting only succeed if no other action targets the same plot.
  • Planting only succeeds if no other action, except maybe another plant action, targets the same plot.
  • Building succeeds if no other action, or an identical build action, or a planting action targets the same plot.
  For resource conflicts, it is important to know that forest actions (gathering wood, stone or food) are resolved before village actions (building, repair, etc.). Actions within the village are resolved in random order.
 For eating, the most hungry family members will eat first (within those who have the same hunger level, the order is random).
 Monsters are resolved last, after all actions by villagers, obviously (first day, then night).

Unfortunately it isn't - I had already checked  ???

To clarify my question further (and some people may not have realised this and will find it useful): a person can claim the wood and stone stored in a hut that is built on common ground by building something that uses more wood or stone than they themselves currently have. If the only wood stored in a common hut in 1 village amounts to 6 lumber, and two people who have no wood and are gathering no wood try to build a henhouse, who will get the wood?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #41: September 12, 2016, 08:59:57 PM »
Unfortunately it isn't - I had already checked  ???

To clarify my question further (and some people may not have realised this and will find it useful): a person can claim the wood and stone stored in a hut that is built on common ground by building something that uses more wood or stone than they themselves currently have. If the only wood stored in a common hut in 1 village amounts to 6 lumber, and two people who have no wood and are gathering no wood try to build a henhouse, who will get the wood?

Your answer is above: Actions within the village are resolved in random order.

In other words: Lady Luck decides.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: September 12, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »
Your answer is above: Actions within the village are resolved in random order.

In other words: Lady Luck decides.

Ok thanks :)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: September 12, 2016, 10:30:45 PM »
I've been under the impression that buildings don't need to be manned on the first day. But I recently had a villager only gather 2 wood on the first day.

Bug?

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: September 19, 2016, 01:51:37 PM »
Just wondering what time the turns run. I thought it was on the hour, but sometimes it doesn't seem so.