Author Topic: Dwilight alliances...  (Read 15705 times)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Dwilight alliances...
« Topic Start: May 19, 2016, 02:49:54 AM »
Seriously? The whole land is allied with each other for some reason or another. Has Dwilight really become so afraid of conflict? Is this how we kill a server? Peace is achieved. Game over.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight alliances...
« Reply #1: May 19, 2016, 03:17:20 AM »
Yeah, it seems that we've returned to 'must have lots of allies because everyone else has lots of allies, oh crap, we are all allied to each other'. I thought there'd be conflict with Morek/HD vs Arnor, a nice balanced conflict, but that turned into the same old SA powerblock of allying to crush any threats to the Eternal Peace status quo. It seems the only options open to anyone trying to do anything is a suicidal war they use as an excuse to annihilate you or joining them in Boring All New Players Away From The Game.

I really wish the frontier realms *would* invade us interior realms.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:26:43 AM by Vita »

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 19, 2016, 04:27:07 AM »
Maybe the rogue force too strong for one realm alone... making the realm seeking alliance and military help from other realms... And ops, all the webs of alliance tangled up.

Maybe the new realm of Terran founding will change things.

About Morek/HD conflict vs Arnor. That sure ended quickly than I expected.

Glaumring, we need you create more chaos in the order in Dwilight. Come here ::)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 19, 2016, 04:49:11 AM »
I think much of it is alliances against the beasts; just like BT is alliances against the daemons.

I can's speak for the East, but we aren't allying with anyone for the purposes of fighting other realms. anything we have is allow nobles to use our armorers if they come help us fight

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 19, 2016, 05:16:36 AM »
Maybe the rogue force too strong for one realm alone... making the realm seeking alliance and military help from other realms... And ops, all the webs of alliance tangled up.

Maybe the new realm of Terran founding will change things.

About Morek/HD conflict vs Arnor. That sure ended quickly than I expected.

Glaumring, we need you create more chaos in the order in Dwilight. Come here ::)

Everytime I try to create chaos I just get in trouble and the power blocs solidify to prevent anything out of the ordinary. I have pretty much resigned my character on Dwilight to following orders and being quiet. I think my reputation on the island precedes me and my track record of ruling kingdoms has never been good on Dwilight unlike other lands. I am waiting to die in battle, Glaumring is almost 90 years old now and I tend to roleplay him more like a cranky old man rather than the firebrand he was in his youth. His light is fading perhaps in unison with Dwilights.

This is why the Dev's should have had the monster invasion in the east to kill off the long long years of bored stalemate and familial ties that exist in the east. The west was vibrant and full of motivation, such a wasted shame.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:18:45 AM by Glaumring the Fox »
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 19, 2016, 05:31:59 AM »
Fair enough. If there are realms who needed a nudge they are Arnor, HD and Swordfell.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 19, 2016, 06:21:25 AM »
Morek needs a bigger nudge than HD. I've tried to pursue some balanced conflicts, but either everyone seems to love being alliance chains and considers war evil or I can't get replies back. After all, it gets really discouraging to do anything myself.

I mean look at Swordfell and Westfold. Westfold starts a limited war with a relative challenge for themselves. Swordfell's response? Immediately, 'We are going to destroy you'. Just like joining two other realms against a realm with a single city-region. Morek had lots of potential conflicts with each neighbour, but preferred to just sign alliances with their neighbours instead restoring the old SA alliance powerbloc of Astrum-Morek-Arnor. You offer to support your ally and they just ignore you to trade regions and sign alliances because of this misguided idea that religions should be all allied and never fight each other. Arnor is like Swordfell, always preferring to crush small neighbours and try to build an empire where they have so many regions they can't have enough lords for them.

Arnor is already aggressive against HD as is and I know where Morek's loyalties will always lie, so it'll be just a repeat of the previous war. Try to help our ally Westfold and Swordfell/Arnor/Morek will go on about how we are now gangbanging Swordfell and pile in on us. I've been trying to march out to help Westgard, but seriously, at that distance, its no wonder I can't get anyone interested in trekking so far.

We need to fight a war, but any limited war will just be broken and turn into being overwhelmed. And after attempting to try to fight a limited war to rejuvenate Eponllyn and having that backfire with Perdan/Vix going back on all their agreements, I don't particularly feel like repeating that all over again right now.

In my view, religious elders should be antagonizing their faithful to deal with these issues ICly as much as we discuss them OOCly. Silent government members, too many alliances, collecting too many titles etc. as being imbalanced, sinful, unethical, evil etc.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:37:50 AM by Vita »

Skirting boards

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 19, 2016, 06:54:19 AM »
Morek needs a bigger nudge than HD. I've tried to pursue some balanced conflicts, but either everyone seems to love being alliance chains and considers war evil or I can't get replies back. After all, it gets really discouraging to do anything myself.

I mean look at Swordfell and Westfold. Westfold starts a limited war with a relative challenge for themselves. Swordfell's response? Immediately, 'We are going to destroy you'. Just like joining two other realms against a realm with a single city-region. Morek had lots of potential conflicts with each neighbour, but preferred to just sign alliances with their neighbours instead restoring the old SA alliance powerbloc of Astrum-Morek-Arnor. You offer to support your ally and they just ignore you to trade regions and sign alliances because of this misguided idea that religions should be all allied and never fight each other. Arnor is like Swordfell, always preferring to crush small neighbours and try to build an empire where they have so many regions they can't have enough lords for them.

Dusty and I tried so hard to do something interesting, Once Aletha "died" seems like everyone else in Morek was too scared to do anything.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 19, 2016, 07:38:33 AM »
I mean look at Swordfell and Westfold. Westfold starts a limited war with a relative challenge for themselves. Swordfell's response? Immediately, 'We are going to destroy you'.
I'm not surprised. Swordfell didn't participate in any wars for what.. 3 RL years?
They're like starving beggars who were given a loaf of bread and asked to only eat a few slices of it. Of course these poor sods will gobble it all. I guess onus is on their current leadership to treat this war responsibly, hopefully they will come to this in time.
We need to fight a war, but any limited war will just be broken and turn into being overwhelmed. And after attempting to try to fight a limited war to rejuvenate Eponllyn and having that backfire with Perdan/Vix going back on all their agreements, I don't particularly feel like repeating that all over again right now.
What's wrong with backstabbing? We could actually use more of it. At least players of Perdan's and Vix's leaders seem fairly reasonable and to be honest the fact that the war is still going is completely on Eponllyn.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 19, 2016, 07:53:43 AM »
Yeah, I don't think Swordfell's been involved in any wars since it was founded (3+ years ago) until they joined Morek and Arnor to stomp Antiqualia out in Springdale, and now the war declared by Westfold.

I got the same feeling from Morek after Aletha departed. 'hey, we are going to have a war, lets work together!' 'okay, whats up?' *crickets* 'hey guys, need any food while we get ready?' *crickets* *region trades* *many new alliances*

Nothing wrong with backstabbing. More the constant escalation of conflicts into all-or-nothing affairs, especially from players who were patting themselves on the back about how great they were at limited war and how opposed they were to till-the-death conflicts. Eponllyn has surrendered to Perdan/Vix terms multiple times over multiple months; if Perdan/Vix wanted the war to end, it could. But Perdan/Vix have kept asking for more every time Eponllyn agreed to terms, if they haven't surprise-attacked them under guise of peace. Eponllyn cannot force them to stop warring it.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 19, 2016, 08:06:46 AM »

Snip*
Arnor is too big, that much for sure. I have been thinking, we need another "Aletha Portal summon" nudge somewhere. Another Daimon big invasion, like you say previously, player control mechanism  8)

Or could we have "Zuma" nudge return? I saw Zuma battle reports frequently, let them return :P

See more below.

Dusty and I tried so hard to do something interesting, Once Aletha "died" seems like everyone else in Morek was too scared to do anything.
Minus all the new nobles that arrive in Morek to form new Terran realm, Morek does not have a full functional army at all. When my character Gary was appointed/elected as its General, I saw we could not even fight one realm on our own. And when we doing takeovers recently, you can guess how many nobles turn up. I not going to say much about Morek inner stuff, it should be secret, but basically Morek cannot do anything without its allies. Given few resources, I did realize we could never hope to recapture Aegir Deep back from Arnor in our war against them.

About Dwilight alliances. It looks a bit too similar to what my character has experienced at Colonies island. Where Oritolon ally with Lukon, Minas Thalion, Aren. I had to untangle the alliances on that island through much effort by saying "goodbye ally status" to Minas Thalion and Aren. Otherwise basically whole south, east and west of the island locked into alliance due to Oritolon not lowering down the relations. If I have the time, power and people willing, I probably will put efforts to untangle the alliances on Dwilight. But of course I can never do it alone. Every realm leaders have to work together also.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 19, 2016, 08:48:57 AM »
More the constant escalation of conflicts into all-or-nothing affairs, especially from players who were patting themselves on the back about how great they were at limited war and how opposed they were to till-the-death conflicts.
Didn't look like that from my perspective.
I mean, Perdan had an ancient ambition to reclaim its namesake city and honestly that endeavour was a lot of fun. If Eponllyn did not declare hatred Perdan would never have crossed the river and we would have had peace a long time ago. Not to mention all the offers to carve a new realm for Eponllyn from decaying Nivemus.
But of course I can never do it alone.
Don't. You're not the only one who wants to shake up the status quo time after time, you can always find a willing partner if you try.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 19, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »
A note:

Dwilight has 310 regions for 247 nobles.

There's not much reason to fight one another.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 19, 2016, 12:54:09 PM »
Not an exactly fair assessment given the western continent is mostly off limits.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 19, 2016, 08:03:15 PM »
dwi is fine, you have all realms occupied with some form of conflict except hd, hd should go fight in westgard its actually a lot of fun
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.