Author Topic: Game Start Discussion  (Read 2315 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Game Start Discussion
« Topic Start: May 25, 2016, 09:46:29 AM »
At the moment, the game has a fairly static start layout with a small bit of randomness. And also when you sign up for a game you see exactly - nothing. You just pick a name from a list.

I had two ideas how to make it a little more interesting to join a game. Please discuss:

a) you don't pick a name from a list, you pick a family from the map. So the game loads up with a list of villages open, and when you choose one instead of bringing up another list with names, it brings up the village map and you can choose your family from there.

b) free-form village formation. You choose village and come to the village screen. However, plots are not pre-determined, only the common grounds are fixed. From the unassigned grounds, you can select your own plot. Essentially, you choose first where to put your house, and then you can starting there pick neighbouring tiles until you have X tiles and that is your land.

Comments?

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
Re: Game Start Discussion
« Reply #1: May 31, 2016, 10:42:03 AM »
A set family name might be useful. As it is, with so many games going on I have no idea what each of my families are called and, if I look on the events tab, have to hover over my plot to see what names I'm looking for.

If you do free form plot picking, there should be some way to balance things with the players who come later to the game. Maybe the later you join the more resources and/or family members you have (or have x fences to place). Otherwise people may be inclined to start new games rather than join ones that already have a few players.

WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Game Start Discussion
« Reply #2: May 31, 2016, 03:21:47 PM »
A set family name might be useful. As it is, with so many games going on I have no idea what each of my families are called and, if I look on the events tab, have to hover over my plot to see what names I'm looking for.

Or you could look in the top-left corner, where it is written. ;-)

If you do free form plot picking, there should be some way to balance things with the players who come later to the game. Maybe the later you join the more resources and/or family members you have (or have x fences to place). Otherwise people may be inclined to start new games rather than join ones that already have a few players.

Ultimately, I want to balance the game so that all families are equal. Right now, they are just random.