Author Topic: Age. Sucks.  (Read 23631 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Age. Sucks.
« Reply #30: June 03, 2016, 06:25:46 AM »
Don't know about you but having an old char with 6 hours a day is definitely a problem to me.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: June 03, 2016, 09:05:48 AM »
Don't know about you but having an old char with 6 hours a day is definitely a problem to me.
5 hours a day is taking it a bit higher, right? It is hard to hold court with 5 hours :)

But then again, we do have a little problem where many new characters cannot become Region Lords. I have an example where on East Island for Nivemus realm we have a few characters we thinking of promoting them to Region Lordship, but they do not have enough Honor and Prestige to become one. What do you say if we lower a bit requirement for Region Lordship? Honor and Prestige is a hard thing to come by nowadays, unless you fighting against odds and won the battle. Perhaps that is also why many old age characters are holding positions because many young age characters do not have enough Honor and Prestige to take on positions. Just my take on this topic since we considering the factors for age.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: June 03, 2016, 09:55:29 AM »
Ever since I replied on this topic, 2 of my chars got wounded.

Karma..
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: June 03, 2016, 07:56:47 PM »
Again, people are making things too indirect and complicated.

The thing you are complaining about isn't age, it is inactive players who can't be removed.

So make it that they can be removed.

We can remove rulers, council members, marshals, diplomats. So make it that lords and dukes can be stripped of their titles if they aren't "doing their job".

Seems like problem solved to me.

I very much dislike this idea. I would much rather see more definitive options like I said before. Allow a ruler to tax his Dukes differently, so he can raise taxes to 50% for more inactive dukes.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: June 04, 2016, 12:27:20 AM »
I very much dislike this idea. I would much rather see more definitive options like I said before. Allow a ruler to tax his Dukes differently, so he can raise taxes to 50% for more inactive dukes.

How does that fix the problem?

They prolly don't care since they don't use the gold for anything.

Or else they DO care, like the Dukes of Cagilan Empire, and they just throw the Ruler out.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: June 04, 2016, 01:23:10 PM »
If a character does nothing but log in once per week to maintain their titles, how does this make them change how they play?
This is spot on. Apparently cutting hours for low-activity players is simply useless.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: June 04, 2016, 02:42:02 PM »
How does that fix the problem?

They prolly don't care since they don't use the gold for anything.

Or else they DO care, like the Dukes of Cagilan Empire, and they just throw the Ruler out.

Even those who wish to maintain their position do care about the gold they get, that's often half the reason why they do it I think. This suggestion would in fact increase the power dynamics between Dukes and the ruler and the different dukes amongst themselves etc. If I'm an active Duke I could get the ruler to levy no taxes to me in exchange of extra support or whatever. At this point a Lord can also not be stripped of his title for instance. Being able to strip Dukes of titles will only result in new rulers being elected and then subsequently grabbing more power for them and their friends. If I get a large enough group of people in a realm and then elect the ruler we could strip all the Dukes of the realm (and their Lordships) and then take them for ourselves and effectively take all the power. In my opinion this would take away even more of the dynamic and would push people evern further into the "must do right for the realm, not for me"  kind of mentality and in my opinion we should go the other way around. "Less purely for the realm and also more for yourself, after all as Duke you'd want to keep your position"
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Zakilevo

« Reply #37: June 04, 2016, 04:37:02 PM »
How about making powerful positions like dukes to get a faster inactive warning? Instead of losing the position after a week, why not make it 5.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: June 04, 2016, 05:00:42 PM »
Read the convo and I have to say, the more I read the more I like Anaris's idea of Health.

Active and engaging characters are the movers and drivers of the game, regardless of age. You have Rebellions and other ingame mechanics to get rid of dinosaur chars. I also think that actual inactive chars should be dealt with more effectively. There are chars who just do nothing at all. Limiting their hours won't affect them I reckon, Do I know what would affect them from a mechanics point of view? I do not.

Then again, I do know there are Ingame ways of dealing with them. My Oldest Char is 45 ish years old? I sometimes struggle with RPing him or portraying him. He's getting into the zone of being regarded like a sage and a living piece of history. Do I use this to my full advantage and tell stories of the old days and educate younger chars? Definitively, this opened up an entirely new arena and sphere of influence for me to use and employ!

I think the playerbase itself is increasingly becoming more and more unwilling or unable to roleplay. To instigate, to explore and to craft stories. The dinosaurs hold power because of their influence, sure they do. Creating new stories will give you the very same influence.  I've done it with a slew of different types of chars, Even evil ones, good ones, chaotic ones, peaceful ones and weird ones.

Make a presence, a personality and you will gain the influence to affect real change within the game. Do I like the idea of positive rewards in regards to active players? Definitively. Because that's what makes the game fun, players.

Anyhow, Cheers Anaris for your work.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: June 04, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »
Read the convo and I have to say, the more I read the more I like Anaris's idea of Health.

Active and engaging characters are the movers and drivers of the game, regardless of age. You have Rebellions and other ingame mechanics to get rid of dinosaur chars. I also think that actual inactive chars should be dealt with more effectively. There are chars who just do nothing at all. Limiting their hours won't affect them I reckon, Do I know what would affect them from a mechanics point of view? I do not.

Then again, I do know there are Ingame ways of dealing with them. My Oldest Char is 45 ish years old? I sometimes struggle with RPing him or portraying him. He's getting into the zone of being regarded like a sage and a living piece of history. Do I use this to my full advantage and tell stories of the old days and educate younger chars? Definitively, this opened up an entirely new arena and sphere of influence for me to use and employ!

I think the playerbase itself is increasingly becoming more and more unwilling or unable to roleplay. To instigate, to explore and to craft stories. The dinosaurs hold power because of their influence, sure they do. Creating new stories will give you the very same influence.  I've done it with a slew of different types of chars, Even evil ones, good ones, chaotic ones, peaceful ones and weird ones.

Make a presence, a personality and you will gain the influence to affect real change within the game. Do I like the idea of positive rewards in regards to active players? Definitively. Because that's what makes the game fun, players.

Anyhow, Cheers Anaris for your work.

This is bull!@#$. I know because I've tried, over and over, to do the exact same thing. I've watched and tried to help other people who were trying to do the exact same thing. Please, get off your high horse of superiority. The issue is that making an active presence of yourself doesn't remove the influence of the old guard through some magical happenstance. They still have the ability to squash anything you want to do if they have both the dukeships and Ruler position in their hands. The Cagilan Empire for example actively refused to change. The Morek Empire needed for its own Ruler to step down and secede herself for something to happen. And I know the person who was the ruler, they did that because they were bored, not because of the pressure being put on their character. They could have just as easily banned the people who were protesting his character, rather than just exiling them.

So much responsibility and onus is on the ruler to take the actions necessary for fun to be had, that often I wish the game was more decentralized, with focus given to Duchies rather than realms.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: June 04, 2016, 09:33:26 PM »

What you call Bull!@#$ are my own experiences within the game. What may not have worked for you has worked for me. I wouldn't be able to tell you why it hasn't worked for you but all I can say is that it has worked for me. That's what I contributed to this discussion.

If I seemed to sit on a High horse I guess I'll say thank you, if you regard me superior. I didn't want that nor did I feel I was presenting myself as such. If anything I made a suggestion. I've played in the Cagilan Empire and know people who've been in leadership positions in that Realm. Sure there were issues there, I agree.

On the other side, and not of my own pool of limited experience, there are plenty of examples where what I said earlier has worked. Splendidly well and repeatedly. If you feel wronged by my words or think that what I said is bull!@#$ that's fine, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Also, I'm not in any particular way part of the Establishment. Wasn't the Cagilan empire a gold farming realm, send to family and use on other continents
?

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: June 06, 2016, 04:35:36 AM »
its not what you do, its how you do it.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: June 07, 2016, 06:42:55 PM »
Health like in CK2! And also death for old characters! I smell a chance to add another fame point or two!
Ardet nec consumitur.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: June 07, 2016, 06:43:20 PM »
Hooray! \o/

Whatever comes in it's place, I'm happy it's been removed, on testing, already. :)

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: June 15, 2016, 06:33:29 PM »
lets get rid of prison too while were at it.

there should be a mechanism that encourages players to retire old chars by one means or another.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.