Author Topic: Age. Sucks.  (Read 23937 times)

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Age. Sucks.
« Reply #45: July 20, 2016, 03:16:12 PM »
I think that all characters should be able to die, and that being wounded should have actual effects on y our character. Say you get wounded in battle and you have your leg broken, travelling between regions takes longer. You hurt your arm, your swordfighting ability is lowered.

I'd love to see actual in game effects when you get wounded.

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: July 20, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »
I think it might also help get rid of some of the older characters if there was a way to pass down estates/lordships/dukeships.

Say you have a 60 year old character, it's very likely that they would have grown children. Make it so there's a way to let them inherit everything from you so that when your character dies, they get it.

Right now, I have Mariah as the sole priestess of a new religion, I didn't want her to die because then I would lose all of my titles and stuff and then I'd have to wait forever before being able to make it with a new character.

If there had been a sort of inheritance, I would have been way happier with her dying in order to pass it on. Same thing with the religion, If she dies, I'd love for there to be a way for an heir to take over.

Wounding as well should be a much bigger thing. Very few people died in actual battles, it was almost always afterwards with infections. Being lightly wounded should have the chance to be a death sentence but not actually stop you from doing anything. Maybe make it so the further you move/train/participate in battles, the higher chance of the wound festering and getting worse. Then as it gets worse maybe you're given an option, Amputate a limb (with in-game effects) or wait to see if it heals.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:25:38 PM by Bronnen »

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: July 20, 2016, 03:30:49 PM »
I think it might also help get rid of some of the older characters if there was a way to pass down estates/lordships/dukeships.
The only real reason behind getting rid of older characters is exactly so that important titles maybe change hands now and then.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: July 20, 2016, 03:33:32 PM »

Say you have a 60 year old character, it's very likely that they would have grown children. Make it so there's a way to let them inherit everything from you so that when your character dies, they get it.

Right now, I have Mariah as the sole priestess of a new religion, I didn't want her to die because then I would lose all of my titles and stuff and then I'd have to wait forever before being able to make it with a new character.

If there had been a sort of inheritance, I would have been way happier with her dying in order to pass it on. Same thing with the religion, If she dies, I'd love for there to be a way for an heir to take over.

Wounding as well should be a much bigger thing. Very few people died in actual battles, it was almost always afterwards with infections. Being lightly wounded should have the chance to be a death sentence but not actually stop you from doing anything. Maybe make it so the further you move/train/participate in battles, the higher chance of the wound festering and getting worse. Then as it gets worse maybe you're given an option, Amputate a limb (with in-game effects) or wait to see if it heals.

I think that's exactly what we do not want, though. Having players or families own a position into eternity.. Losing positions through any way (dying, prison, election, wounds, whatever) is a way of creating chances for other players to control certain positions.

We already have a bulk of players with old characters sitting on positions without ever getting removed. With this sort of inheritance, there would be no stopping it but encouraging it..

Regarding wounds, sounds realistic to say you will travel slower with a broken leg (unless you ride a horse?) or your swordfighting skills take a hit when you wounded your arm. But whether that is realistic to implement code-wise, I'm not sure. I think that'd bring us into very complex things.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: July 20, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
What if, things were allowed to pass down, but the knights/lords, had the ability to refuse to accept it. So there would be a mini-rebellion within the region/duchy.

So that way if someone dies and his dukeship gets passed down, the region lords can go "No, this isn't happening" and take it over by force?

Actually, I think that should be allowed anyway.

Victor C

• Board Moderator
  • Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: July 20, 2016, 09:37:49 PM »
What if, things were allowed to pass down, but the knights/lords, had the ability to refuse to accept it. So there would be a mini-rebellion within the region/duchy.

So that way if someone dies and his dukeship gets passed down, the region lords can go "No, this isn't happening" and take it over by force?

Actually, I think that should be allowed anyway.

Power is meant to shift around, when it is horded by a player, opportunity ceases and everything just stays the same.

Allowing an heir in any way would most likely not be beneficial for the game. The effects of aging are supposed to make you want to make a new character to allow for others to have a chance at what you had.
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: July 20, 2016, 11:12:18 PM »
Yeah but the way it works right now is that people get older, don't step down or get a new char. and spend all the time wounded.

If everyone could die, then passing down would at the very least be more beneficial because everyone is mortal.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: July 20, 2016, 11:31:03 PM »
I would like everyone to die from old age and wounds myself.

But death will not happen for existing characters because it is not fair to change the founding basis of 'no character death' when characters were created. It may happen for new characters (such as a new island which starts as death-for-everyone, which is not happening, just a hypothetical). Death in BM has always largely been a choice by the player's own actions.

What is currently approved is a voluntary mortality for non-heroes for those who wish to play their own characters as mortality. But again, a volunteer has not set aside the time to do it. There are only three development-access volunteers.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: July 21, 2016, 12:17:11 PM »
I would like everyone to die from old age and wounds myself.

But death will not happen for existing characters because it is not fair to change the founding basis of 'no character death' when characters were created. It may happen for new characters (such as a new island which starts as death-for-everyone, which is not happening, just a hypothetical). Death in BM has always largely been a choice by the player's own actions.

What is currently approved is a voluntary mortality for non-heroes for those who wish to play their own characters as mortality. But again, a volunteer has not set aside the time to do it. There are only three development-access volunteers.

It seems you are forgetting the most important rules for heroes my friend:

When you want your hero to die, he will live forever and when you get to a point where you don't want him to die, he'll pass away. So it's not much of a choice  ::) :P
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: July 21, 2016, 11:26:48 PM »
Can confirm.

Zeph has only ever gotten lightly wounded, no matter how many battles I throw him into against impossible odds.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: July 22, 2016, 12:42:05 AM »
it seems to me that heroes only ever die in very evenly matched battles with a lot of hits and casualties.

if your unit panics and retreats early it reduces the number of hits and therefore the number of chances for death as far as i understand the mechanics.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: July 22, 2016, 01:03:52 AM »
That's why I always set retreat to the highest number possible and with the largest unit possible.

Zakilevo

« Reply #57: July 22, 2016, 01:04:22 AM »
it seems to me that heroes only ever die in very evenly matched battles with a lot of hits and casualties.

if your unit panics and retreats early it reduces the number of hits and therefore the number of chances for death as far as i understand the mechanics.

Not true. You can always get as many men as possible then charge in by yourself while the rest of your armies are behind you.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: July 22, 2016, 01:30:42 AM »
@bronnen still going to need them to hold together,ive been seeing a lot of low cohesion units panic super early lately even with banners and high retreat rates.

@zakky right, aren't they a lot less likely to panic still as long as the sides are relatively even?
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: July 22, 2016, 03:32:05 PM »
@bronnen still going to need them to hold together,ive been seeing a lot of low cohesion units panic super early lately even with banners and high retreat rates.

@zakky right, aren't they a lot less likely to panic still as long as the sides are relatively even?

I've seen heroes die against a undead mob-up (or ambush) as well, so glorious :)
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela