Author Topic: How is the game calculating who will be attacker/defender?  (Read 3583 times)

T0mislav

- If both owner's and invader's units are arriving to the region or if owner's units are stationary and invader's units are arriving then owner's units will defend while invader's units will attack.
- If invader's units are already stationary in the region that is without owner's units and if owner's units are arriving to the region owner's units will fight as attackers and invader's units will fight as defenders.

But it just happened to one of my characters that in yesterday battle his realm's army won the battle in foreign territory and tuck the control over the battlefield and today more enemy units landed to the region and those enemies again fought as defenders. - Why? Is it a bug? If not, how exactly is the game calculating who will be attacker/defender?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:57:01 AM by T0mislav »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
In a case like that, I would guess that some of the region owner's units that were defeated earlier finished rallying that turn, thus making them stationary again.

The arriving units had nothing to do with it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

T0mislav

So, if owner's unit which fought as defender get retreated/scattered and if it get rallied it will again fight as defender. Right?

If it is so, how is the game calculating it further:
1. Will battlefield be taken after single turn pass without battle?
or
2. Will the retreated/scattered unit fight as defender regardless of when it get rallied (even if it get rallied in day or two)?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 03:37:46 PM by T0mislav »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
So, if defender's unit get retreated/scattered and if it get rallied it will again fight as defender?

Yes. When a unit is in the "rallying" state during the turn, it will return to "stationary" state by the time combat is calculated, so if it belongs to the region owner, that will cause the region owner to be the defender.

1. Will battlefield be taken after single turn pass without battle?

I don't quite understand this question. What do you mean by "will battlefield be taken"?

2. Will the retreated/scattered unit fight as defender regardless of when it get rallied (even if it get rallied in day or two)?

As long as it belongs to the region owner and there's no takeover going on, yes. It's a fairly simple calculation, pretty much just using the situation at the time as its determining factors; it doesn't know how long any particular group has been there, so long as they're not freshly arrived, or how long it's been since the last battle.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

T0mislav

By "will battlefield be taken?" I meant "will invader's fight as defenders?"

hmmm...

So practically region owners will always fight as defenders unless takeover is ongoing?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
By "will battlefield be taken?" I mean "will invader's fight as defenders when the?"

hmmm...

So practically region owners will always fight as defenders unless takeover is ongoing?

Not always, but frequently.

This is why it's good to hunt down as many retreated enemies as possible.
Timothy Collett

T0mislav

What do you mean but "Not always, but frequently."?
Are there some circumstances that determine it or it is purely random?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
What do you mean but "Not always, but frequently."?
Are there some circumstances that determine it or it is purely random?

The circumstances I just described.

When you are fighting a realm's troops within their territory, you can predict whether or not you will face them as defenders by scouting the region to see if they are rallying. Of course, they could rally between when you scout and turn change.

It's not random at all, it just depends on the actions of the other realm's players.
Timothy Collett

T0mislav

OK... so if invader's units defeat owner's units and owner's units rally they will again fight as defenders.

There are two more situations I am not sure who would be set as attacker/defender:
1. If invader's units defeat owner's units and owner's units remain retreated/scattered till after the turn change (or few turns) and then they rally next turn (or after few turns). Would owner's units still fight as defenders?
2. If invader's units defeat owner's units and initiate takeover and owner's units rally. Would invaders fight as defenders (defending takeover) or owner's would still fight as defenders?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
OK... so if invader's units defeat owner's units and owner's units rally they will again fight as defenders.

There are two more situations I am not sure who would be set as attacker/defender:
1. If invader's units defeat owner's units and owner's units remain retreated/scattered till after the turn change (or few turns) and then they rally next turn (or after few turns). Would owner's units still fight as defenders?
2. If invader's units defeat owner's units and initiate takeover and owner's units rally. Would invaders fight as defenders (defending takeover) or owner's would still fight as defenders?

In any turn when the region owner's troops rally, they will become defenders, as long as there is not a takevoer running.
If there is a takeover running, the takeover realm is temporarily (mostly) considered to act as the region's owner.
Timothy Collett

T0mislav

What do you mean by "mostly"?
Does it mean that side that is committing a takeover can still be set as attacker? - If it is so, are there specific circumstances when the side which is committing a takeover will be set as attacker and when as defender or it is purely random?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
What do you mean by "mostly"?
So side that is committing a takeover can still be set as attacker? - If it is so, are there specific circumstances when the side which is committing a takeover will be set as attacker and when as defender or it is purely random?

No; by "mostly" I only mean that there are a couple of minor differences in the order of how allies are calculated between the region owner and a realm running a takeover on the region.

When and whether they themselves will be defender acts exactly the same as if they were the region owner, so long as the takeover remains active.
Timothy Collett

T0mislav

Thank you very much.