Author Topic: Admin/Mod Moderation  (Read 8246 times)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Admin/Mod Moderation
« Topic Start: June 07, 2016, 03:59:26 AM »
Well I guess I had the red lettering coming at some point. ugh it is such a pain to quote items, but this week I have a little time. I opened this thread more or less, because of what is stated below since I'm hijacking a thread apparently, which also brings me to a point much later down my list since i'm now a hijacker as well. Also to note is there a appropriate forum to raise a complaint or a suggestion regarding moderation of this forum that is visible to everyone? Don't try to say development board, we know that board really goes no where, but that is a battle for another day and time. Let us begin...

If you have a complaint about a warning from the mods, please message one of them privately. If you have a general complaint about the moderation of the forum, please either message a mod privately or start a separate topic in the appropriate forum, where you lay your grievance out in a rational manner. Do not hijack other threads to complain about the mods. Do not resort to passive-aggressive snide comments about the moderation of the forums.

Let's dive into this complaint, a complaint because it's clear Mods/dev drop the ball from time to time and well your not perfect and neither are we I get that. If we were we wouldn't need this forum (Limbo), so let's get that out of the way. However, a mod or admin, do not know who or rather care, stated I insulted one of them. As outlined below that is clear by such a warning I received from the BM community team in so called thread..

Blue Star,

You have received a warning for insulting other users and/or staff members in regards to the message:
Re: Stegman Hemmings is ruining the conflict.

Do not make posts that are deliberately rude or insulting to moderators or admins.

Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The BattleMaster Community Team.

If one of our moderation/admin team cannot take such a small comment, when it is not directed at neither Wimpie or and particular member of it I grow a bit concerned. I mean did I say "Mods suck" or "Mods play favorites"? Last time I read what I wrote it said nothing of the sort just a factual thing that has occurred based on comments in other threads as well as this one. Also, if you notice cause it will get turned around and well just start spewing post. Stating anything about the forum user was in fact no insulting, besides stating well the obvious though if it is perceived as a insult well i'm sorry, but that's my opinion as of recent and past post.

When has Gundam really had control of what he types? Your just now noticing comments similar to this.... dropping the ball dropping the ball

Well that sums most of it up, i'm sure I can think of more, but let's not over do it on the first day. Let just say if you're going to warn someone I think you should make it clear, which amin/mod who sent the warnint versus another. Why hide under the cloak and shadows of the forum? How do I take a complaint about a warning to someone if I don't know who actually gave me the warning? I don't intend to chat with the one who warned me, i'd rather talk to another. Also probably best to state how a complaint about a warning can be handled in the warning letter sent, makes it a bit easier than doing this whole thread thing.

Just a fishermen simply am casting a line, upon a wooden ship seeing if the last worm will catch some fish.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:20:55 AM by Blue Star »
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Admin/Mod Moderation
« Reply #1: June 07, 2016, 05:17:39 AM »
a mountain range rises from a molehill. chill out, guys.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Victor C

• Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 07, 2016, 12:58:03 PM »
I am confused.... What exactly am I missing here? I see an insult thrown at Gundam and basically calling the GMs incapable. That is just from your quotes.... in this entire post, I see you STILL insulting the moderation.

You've called Gundam a fool who speaks with anger rather than sense and stated that the Moderation ia below your standards. These are insults and not all in any way constructive or respectful.
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 08, 2016, 03:47:44 AM »
Missing two things, I think that are relevant in this. Interpretation is a trivial thing and that it is to each their own, is it not?

I have not I called Gundam a fool (at least not in that thread), that is what you are saying I am calling him, which is your own take on the conversation. I said clearly that he cannot grasp hold of what he types as of recent, in other words he is typing what comes to mind before thinking about ramification or taking it to thought. Though his apology a testament to that.

Moderation below my standard? That hearsay more or less because I am stating the warning I received I believe is unjust, but the moderation on the comment in so called thread I agree with since it was clearly vulgar.

I'm not sure Victor what you are getting at, but you can elaborate more, though I cannot promise I will indulge you every time. Though I would point out constructiveness of this is clearly that we should know how to actually refute a warning if warned and if we are warned we should know by who so we can address it with another party beside just the ambiguous group so then we would need to know who has given out the warning so we can contact another beside the one that action to warn us. Else is it not a system that is just a circle, that has no real solution for warnings being justified rather than being a opinion of a Admin/Mod. Though if it is not done that way then I think it would be wise for the Administration/Moderation of this forum to actually and final explain the process or steps they take.

I'm truly here only to see what Admins, mods, and Dev team will say from what I gather the team is more or less the same and they make up the Titans for the most part. In this instance I'm calling on them for a public answer and not a private message. I don't believe that is to much trouble to ask, even if I am wrong in what I stated I think it is only to their benefit to explain the process they take.

I say this because the magistrate issue ended poorly as it is now gone, titans are always under some type of scrutiny and well the people needs answers. No different than in game when a knights want to understand why their king signs a agreement of alliance with a realm that is not favorable.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 08, 2016, 04:41:29 AM »
Hmm... I guess some transparency in moderation can indeed benefit the overall forum atmosphere. What's wrong with discussing warnings and bans openly?
Especially when we see that certain forumites get away with much stronger language and even undisguised insults.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 08, 2016, 01:56:52 PM »
Speaking of the Titans, is there any actual point to them anymore?

Last time I sent in an issue, it took so long for them to respond I'd completely forgotten about it by the time I got the "golden message".

I have a current report that has been 2 weeks now, and still no acknowledgement.

Titan reports are often things that are causing real-time issues in the game & many times result in big OOC problems. If the volunteers can't even check in & handle their case load once a week, they ought to resign and find some new people. Otherwise people won't even to use them anymore.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 17, 2016, 01:53:06 AM »
Been about a week hmm, interesting.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 17, 2016, 03:23:44 AM »
Speaking of the Titans, is there any actual point to them anymore?

Last time I sent in an issue, it took so long for them to respond I'd completely forgotten about it by the time I got the "golden message".

I have a current report that has been 2 weeks now, and still no acknowledgement.

Titan reports are often things that are causing real-time issues in the game & many times result in big OOC problems. If the volunteers can't even check in & handle their case load once a week, they ought to resign and find some new people. Otherwise people won't even to use them anymore.

If the Titans can't handle their responsibilities in their roles they should step down and/or seek replacements.
Like my programming? Become my patron!

daviceroy

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 19, 2016, 07:00:18 PM »
Moderation and running a game can often be a thankless job.  Sometimes the people are volunteers and the time they have acceptable can wax and wane.  I know from my personal experience is hard to find people willing to take the abuse and give freely that it requires for a moderator position.

I'm not associated with BM's admin or moderation team.  If I am correct thought, I believe is ran only by a couple people.  Tom is no longer really active here as he's moved on to other projects.  Timothy is mainly in charge of all moderation, Titan, and coding.  Due to the lack of people, there's really not an appeal since it'll go back to the person who made the decision.

I'm not sure this will change given the quantity of players. BM doesn't really justify a huge moderation team for better or worse.  If there's more than Timothy here, then a clearer speak process couldn't hurt.

On the subject of discussing moderation actions publicly, it often causes more frustration and confusion as people try to justify one way or another.  I've yet to be part of a group where it helped.  Instead negative elements usually try to create more problems.  If you disagree, you can always privately talk to whomever.  This doesn't mean they'll change their mind.  It's happened before with me.  While I disagreed with their opinion, in the end, is their right to.  We are on their game and accept to play by their rules and their interpretation.

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 19, 2016, 09:47:18 PM »
Pretty much everyone working on BM are volunteers, daviceroy, from mods to devs.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 19, 2016, 11:59:27 PM »
Pretty much everyone working on BM are volunteers, daviceroy, from mods to devs.

I think that's his point though.

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 20, 2016, 04:41:43 AM »
I think that's his point though.

Moderation and running a game can often be a thankless job.  Sometimes the people are volunteers and the time they have acceptable can wax and wane.

I was just clarifying on this point, everyone working on BM are volunteers.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 20, 2016, 05:55:33 AM »
We have room for more volunteers! There are lots of areas one could focus on. Moderation. Coding. Wiki. Fixing Maps. Many more listed in another thread.

Basically, if you see something not happening you'd like to happen, it doesn't hurt to ask if you can help out with getting it done. We used to have a lot more volunteers doing a lot of distinct tasks, but they have not been replaced as they've faded away, meaning more things for fewer volunteers to do. Which drags on oneself. What was said about thanklessness and constant complaints, even when we're agreeing with complaints, doesn't help with the whole humans remembering negativity more easily than positivity over time. Volunteering doesn't mean you need to dedicate your life to BM. Just being given the ability to do something when you do feel up to it.

Allow me to outline the current state of BM's volunteers, and some areas given attention/non-attention.

Current volunteer development is just fixing Helpline forum bugs, IRC bug help, Wimpie checking the bugtracker, or just fixing whatever we ourselves our frustrated by and want fixed (which most recently is Wimpie making improvements to Adventurer interfaces). Basically goes: wimpie thinks 'hey this thing is frustrating', wimpie asks Anaris or I if there's a Good Reason It's Frustrating, we answer with either why its a Good Reason, tell him its a bug or unintended and can be fixed, or that it Was a Good Reason but can be changed now because Good Reason is no longer applicable. Then either its simple enough for him to fix himself, one of us answers his questions if its a bit challenging, or he bothers us to do it ourselves when its too difficult. And eventually (hopefully) one of us does, or failing that, its recorded in the Bugtracker. That's about it for the dev team.

Anaris and I share adminship of BM. We do our best to uphold Tom's Vision and confer with each other on larger decisions, try to keep each other up to speed on anything we're doing or did, motivate each other, create Portal roleplays, review dev commits, approve character and realm name requests, approve banners, and delegate/manage/admin/mentor Devs, Titans, GMs, forum, wiki et cetera. Most things are pretty simple, but some things we argue about until one of us accepts the other's position or we settle with a compromise. Anaris idles all day, but he often has busy weeks with either employment or social life. I idle for periods of time, have available time, but atrocious motivation due to some OOC !@#$ going on in life that I'd prefer not be public, so usually spend any BM time I do spend on GM activities, trying to reply to questions on IRC, this forum, or the in-game mentoring forum, helping Wimpie with anything he's doing, answering other GM questions, trying to do a list of various coding-related tasks etc. I had also been more actively managing Titans, doing Social Media, actually playing the damn game, responding on the forum, tracking various game metrics etc, but those have slipped the last few weeks.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:59:14 AM by Vita »

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 20, 2016, 07:34:41 AM »
I'm willing to help with anything that doesn't require coding.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

daviceroy

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 20, 2016, 08:17:51 AM »
My point is that BM is pretty much all volunteers at this point since Tom has moved on to other projects.

Vita also brought up the other thing I was trying to hint at as well.  If you want to help with BM, there are always avenues to do so.  But it's also a basic understanding that it means you do still agree to help them under the rules and the interpretation.  While I personally have disagreed with some actions in the past, I respect that it is within the agreement that I signed up for when playing this game.

I would personally help with things here, but my activity level would really prevent anything meaningful from happening.  I have too many other projects that take up my time as well as work and family.  I also struggle with the direction that some of the choices made from time to time.  To give credit though, some changes have been made that help ease some issues.

Vita, is there an appeal process in place for forum issues?  It seems by your statement that there may be more working on moderation here other than Timothy which was my original understanding.  If so, can we have that somewhere to make it clearer for players so that they understand better?  If not, then I apologize for any confusion.