Author Topic: On the Nature of Duels in Battlemaster  (Read 6108 times)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: On the Nature of Duels in Battlemaster
« Reply #15: July 13, 2016, 04:36:09 PM »
Then know your place and don't annoy your betters  8)

So some of you were present in Xavax for an odd exchange wherein some knight compared Selenia to Mendicant, which was an affront to me as a player and a MASSIVE insult to her ash she grew up under his rule. Naturally, she challenged him. Nothing, not even a word in response. THis is just one example from my personal experience, I'm sure you all have seen something similar.

IS it possible to create some sort of mechanical consequence? Would that even be something we should encourage? Personally, I do.

Insulting the ruler and then refusing a duel? That's an automatic ban right? Bit similar with what happened in Oligarch, where there in fact was a duel, Garas won but the opponent didn't die, declared herself immortal, but pledged loyalty to the victor again.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #16: July 13, 2016, 10:12:07 PM »
Insulting the ruler and then refusing a duel? That's an automatic ban right? Bit similar with what happened in Oligarch, where there in fact was a duel, Garas won but the opponent didn't die, declared herself immortal, but pledged loyalty to the victor again.

Well it was an enemy knight, so no ban I suppose. I also was not privy to Perdan's realm-channel. I just assume it went unremarked upon.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 14, 2016, 01:22:01 AM »
True, most players/characters use their words but when it comes to fighting a duel, they pull back. Might just also depend on whether it's a duel to first blood or death or so.. Most people are very attached to their character.

And that's why I don't provoke such persons  ;)

I find duels to surrender are just as ignored/turned down as duels to the death.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 14, 2016, 08:44:23 AM »
I find duels to surrender are just as ignored/turned down as duels to the death.

That's a shame, I would have tought otherwise.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: July 14, 2016, 10:51:36 AM »
Dueling is a great RP tool to build and push forward character stories. When done right, both players gain from a duel even though one of them loses.
Unfortunately, some players misuse this tool because they are bitter OOC and want to hurt the winning side at least in some way. Losers always try to duel the winners. On every continent I have seen this all the time. Sorry, but "Someone duel me or you're all cowards" messages make the entire family no longer interesting to me. Won't waste my time on such people and won't risk my character's life.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:53:28 AM by Constantine »

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 14, 2016, 12:43:50 PM »
As some players in Riombara know, Salion tried to duel Aletha for the fate of Riombara and she declined. I called her a coward, afraid to face a me, etc, and she just brushed it off. He was (at the time) just a knight, but still...  :(
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #21: July 14, 2016, 05:39:32 PM »
Dueling is a great RP tool to build and push forward character stories. When done right, both players gain from a duel even though one of them loses.
Unfortunately, some players misuse this tool because they are bitter OOC and want to hurt the winning side at least in some way. Losers always try to duel the winners. On every continent I have seen this all the time. Sorry, but "Someone duel me or you're all cowards" messages make the entire family no longer interesting to me. Won't waste my time on such people and won't risk my character's life.

I can agree with that 100% and I tend to stomp on it whenever I see it, whether I am on the winning side or (as often is the case) the loosing side. I think that if it had happened that way in history, that person might have just caught an arrow in the chest and been laughed at later.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"