Author Topic: Beta Client Feedback  (Read 45681 times)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Re: Beta Client Feedback
« Reply #75: September 19, 2016, 09:32:09 PM »
I'm pondering on what could be done to add variation. I mean - each game you have a different position and different people, but it ultimately just comes down to having enough food, struggling to get enough wooden then stone walls so that you can build henhouses safely, then just gathering more stone and wood.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #76: September 19, 2016, 11:20:36 PM »
Soon monsters will come in waves, and there will be variation in when and how strong the waves are. I would also like to work more on the monsters in general and make that part more interesting. Finally, in the long term I'm thinking about having the map itself more interesting, maybe with a small river or such - but that has a lot of consequences and I'm not sure about it.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: September 19, 2016, 11:59:57 PM »
What do you think about introducing traps and weapons into the game?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #78: September 20, 2016, 11:43:06 AM »
Can you elaborate on that idea?

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: September 20, 2016, 01:21:30 PM »
I hadn't given too much thought to it at the time of posting (it was late) but it would be something like this:

Traps

There would be several types of traps that you could build. Some would be associated with walls some free-standing

1 - Wooden spikes. These would be similar to a fence in cost, but wouldn't need to be cleared up when destroyed. Chance to impale creature for extra food. Would have to be built infront of wooden or stone wall. Would have only one use/hp. (all amounts possible to change)

2 - Earthen pit. More effective in front of wall. Would trap smaller creatures and tire out larger creatures for less damage when they hit (and for stone walls, likely no damage. Eg: bear and boar would now do none, monster would now do 1). Could be used several times, although might need to be re-covered (disguised) again. Maybe a chance for food? Would take several villagers but no resources.

Other types of traps still to be considered.

Weapons

A person would have a chance to find iron in the deep forest. With this iron they could then craft an anvil, and then a weapon (pike/spear or sword). Possible other items also. This would then either give them a chance to defend their house should it be attacked and there be an attempt to take a family member, or an option to station themselves at a wall to decrease damage to it (but it would use up their action for the day).

It's not much, but a work-in-progress.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #80: September 20, 2016, 05:21:06 PM »
I like where this is going. Let me add some thoughts:

a) Iron can be found in the Deep Forest.
b) It is a requirement for all of these, as they all need some iron

I'm not entirely sure where to fit the trap idea into everything. It should be more than just a fence with special rules. Maybe traps could only be placed at the edge of the village, and can only be damaged by the largest creatures?

A weapon could allow a peasant to patrol the village at night. He would try to stop and scare away creatures, but has a small risk of being eaten. Basic concept: The patrol would cover all plots of his family and their neighbour plots.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: September 21, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »
What is the opinion on the fact that one can still grow food during winter? Does it make it too easy to complete?  Does wheat grow in germany, in winter?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #82: September 21, 2016, 02:19:52 PM »
What is the opinion on the fact that one can still grow food during winter? Does it make it too easy to complete?  Does wheat grow in germany, in winter?

Winter is 15 days. With a family of 6, you would need 90 food to survive winter. That means you need to add 3 food above and beyond what you use during every day of summer and autumn. Or in other words, you need to harvest 9 food every day or you will die.

More importantly, since you can't gather food in the forest in winter, going into winter with not enough food means you know you will die. I see this as a frustration factor. If you know you are dead and there's nothing you can do about it, why continue playing?

The yield in winter is at best 4 food for a plot. That makes it hard enough to survive if you don't have reserves.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: September 21, 2016, 06:30:26 PM »
Winter is 15 days. With a family of 6, you would need 90 food to survive winter. That means you need to add 3 food above and beyond what you use during every day of summer and autumn. Or in other words, you need to harvest 9 food every day or you will die.

Yes, not being able to get food except from the deep forest in winter would certainly make the food game much more important.

More importantly, since you can't gather food in the forest in winter, going into winter with not enough food means you know you will die. I see this as a frustration factor. If you know you are dead and there's nothing you can do about it, why continue playing?

The yield in winter is at best 4 food for a plot. That makes it hard enough to survive if you don't have reserves.

I'm inclined to disagree. You'd be working with narrower margins, sure, but realistically you would get by by planting and harvesting one field a day (so 2/6 workers). A smart person would keep a few fields extra and unharvested due to the narrow margins, but it would be about the same amount of effort as one would exert during summer or autumn to stay fed.

This assumes that you can defend 5, maybe 6 squares from attack (although the traditional 9 would be better for the extra fields), and without any henhouses whatsoever.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:37:50 PM by Bael »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #84: September 21, 2016, 10:26:51 PM »
Henhouses could save you, yes.

You would definitely not have enough resources for good defenses if you had to stockpile so much food.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: September 21, 2016, 10:29:48 PM »
My point was that you don't need to stockpile food, because you will have enough if you just defend your land and keep planting/harvesting one field per day in winter.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #86: September 22, 2016, 07:36:41 AM »
My point was that you don't need to stockpile food, because you will have enough if you just defend your land and keep planting/harvesting one field per day in winter.

Yes, that is kind of the plan. But these 2 peasants will be missing from repairing and re-building defenses.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: September 24, 2016, 10:50:44 PM »
I like where this is going. Let me add some thoughts:

a) Iron can be found in the Deep Forest.
b) It is a requirement for all of these, as they all need some iron

I'm not entirely sure where to fit the trap idea into everything. It should be more than just a fence with special rules. Maybe traps could only be placed at the edge of the village, and can only be damaged by the largest creatures?

A weapon could allow a peasant to patrol the village at night. He would try to stop and scare away creatures, but has a small risk of being eaten. Basic concept: The patrol would cover all plots of his family and their neighbour plots.

I've been thinking this over, and it seems reasonable as you say. A further addition would be that you could equip your villagers during the day with a weapon. Your villager and another both harvesting the same plot? the one with the better weapon takes it.

The other thing that i've been wondering about is the flavour. Die2nite has a definite crazy, desperate flavour to it. What are you thinking about introducing to BF?

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: September 25, 2016, 12:10:16 AM »
Those little circles are a nice addition : )

Also, that one game has a password function set, but no password (I suppose you know that and are just testing).

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: September 25, 2016, 12:57:47 PM »
I've been thinking about this, but should some of the animals really damage the fences and walls? Some of these should be straight nullifying the effect of an animal. Or force them to detour (which would be hilarious, and maybe work to increase cooperation).
Like my programming? Become my patron!