Author Topic: What motivate you to first started play Battlemaster?  (Read 9636 times)

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
For me, I think Rasputin from Dolohov family Roleplays got me excited :P

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Dolohov_Family/Rasputin
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
'Cause my stupid friends were playing it and talking about it non-stop.  :P ;D
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Victor C

• Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
My friend told me I was too immature to enjoy this game, so I played this to spite him.

(His family name was Thunderstrike)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:41:20 AM by victor c »
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
August 2003, I came across this game looking for something besides my usual RP games and I stopped here.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
Earlier this year for a history assignment we had to make a coat of arms. I was doing a wolf head and looked on the 'net for inspiration and found the O'Faolain crest, looked at the wiki, then joined.
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
My friend told me I was too immature to enjoy this game, so I played this to spite him.
The irony is almost palpable.

On topic, I saw this game mentioned on bay12 forum, tried it, liked it.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
I got an email from Tom saying "I've created a small side game to run alongside SpellMaster, can you help me test it out..."
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
And so he's been luring us to a new game ever since. ;) I was rather enjoying the web Shopkeeper testing awhile back.

I can't particularly remember how I found the game, I know I was actively searching for something interesting and this is the only online game I've returned to time and again. Probably on some directory of browser games. I remember being intrigued by the idea of political simulation mentioned on the 'Quotes from Players' page.

I do remember how Exiled Family found the game, from a mention on IRC. He was looking for BattleMaster tanks, and found us. Anaris found us when BM got slashdotted in 2004.

There have been quite a few bay12-sourced players over the years. The BM-related threads haven't been updated lately either, I remember noticing some months back when I was still paying attention to such Social Media things...

Dolohov's roleplays are awesome. I wouldn't mind some folks emulating his style.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Anaris found us when BM got slashdotted in 2004.

Not quite. I was idly (and generally) interested in trying to get into a beta for something at the time (which, as you say, was early January 2004), and saw Tom's sig on Slashdot, which, at the time, read:

"Back in beta (too many new features): BattleMaster"

It sounded intriguing. So I tried it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I sifted through many RP game directories, which constantly brought up repeated results. There was only one directory I found (can't remember which) which had Battlemaster listed. It stood out to me because it hadn't came up in any of the previous searches. I was specifically looking for something that was simple and not heavily graphical.

This game was the first time I ever experienced roleplay in its true written sense. It was very different to me, like no other game I have come across. I became intrigued by the roleplay aspect. I always get bored with games after a time, but Battlemaster is the only game I ever return to.
"...Together We Stand, Divided We Fall!..." -- 'Hey You', Pink Floyd

Victor C

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I sifted through many RP game directories, which constantly brought up repeated results. There was only one directory I found (can't remember which) which had Battlemaster listed. It stood out to me because it hadn't came up in any of the previous searches. I was specifically looking for something that was simple and not heavily graphical.

This game was the first time I ever experienced roleplay in its true written sense. It was very different to me, like no other game I have come across. I became intrigued by the roleplay aspect. I always get bored with games after a time, but Battlemaster is the only game I ever return to.

Yes, this is also what I find interesting in Battlemaster, it's not like really any other RP game I've seen. There is no drive to ruin the other person's roleplay but instead make a better one together.

In other communities people do everything possible to gain the advantage over the rules to always "win". In Battlemaster, this is not a very big issue. It is a game for people who like to read and tell stories, it is a game for strategists and politicians. It's truly unique.
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

Zakilevo

Was looking for a text based RPG to help me learn sentence structures and etc. It has made be write pretty much as often as possible. Helped me a lot.

Victor C

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Dolohov's roleplays are awesome. I wouldn't mind some folks emulating his style.
I love to reread Dolohov roleplays all over again and again. I even tried to write my roleplays in game by learning from his style ;)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
'Cause my stupid friends were playing it and talking about it non-stop.  :P ;D

I was one of those friends. My origins remain clouded, vague. I was born with Battlemaster.
Ardet nec consumitur.