Author Topic: ETA of Activation Email?  (Read 3989 times)

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
ETA of Activation Email?
« Topic Start: June 25, 2016, 01:47:18 PM »
You guys have any idea how long the activation email is supposed to take? It's been a couple hours now since I got bored enough to make another account, and it seems kind of odd it'd take this long.

(And yes, I checked the spam folder.)
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
Re: ETA of Activation Email?
« Reply #1: June 25, 2016, 02:37:44 PM »
A friend of mine, Gorphastrous family, had to retry a few times then get it sent manually. He asked Tom and Tom told him that the mail server/thingy is stuffing up.
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 25, 2016, 02:40:19 PM »
PM me the email address you're using (or post it here, if you don't care!) and I can get you the email.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 28, 2016, 10:02:32 AM »
A friend of mine, Gorphastrous family, had to retry a few times then get it sent manually. He asked Tom and Tom told him that the mail server/thingy is stuffing up.

No wonder there's no influx of new players, if no one who signs up gets an activation mail  :-X
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 28, 2016, 10:21:50 AM »
Sounds like a critical failure to me.
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: June 28, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »
Mails are going out. It's just that for whatever !@#$ed-up reason gmail and hotmail have changed their spam policies so they let more real spam through and filter out more non-spammers. Their website where they tell you their rules are completely opaque, I know international standard documents that are easier to understand.

I've been planning to move my mail server for a long time, which may or may not fix this issue.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 28, 2016, 03:39:53 PM »
Mails are going out. It's just that for whatever !@#$ed-up reason gmail and hotmail have changed their spam policies so they let more real spam through and filter out more non-spammers. Their website where they tell you their rules are completely opaque, I know international standard documents that are easier to understand.

I've been planning to move my mail server for a long time, which may or may not fix this issue.

Tom, I can definitively tell you this is false. If that were the case, the email would go to the spam folder on gmail, but instead we don't receive it at all.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 28, 2016, 03:46:55 PM »
Tom, I can definitively tell you this is false. If that were the case, the email would go to the spam folder on gmail, but instead we don't receive it at all.

Except that that's not GMail's only defense against spam.

They will block mails entirely—not filter, but block—if they meet certain criteria, generally based on sending server configuration.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: June 29, 2016, 01:47:52 AM »
Yes, but they don't tell the send what the problem is. There is a link to a long page full of bull!@#$, but nobody tells you "your mail was blocked because of this precise point and here is what we expect instead". It's like they want to be unhelpful.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 29, 2016, 01:48:37 AM »
Yes, but they don't tell the send what the problem is. There is a link to a long page full of bull!@#$, but nobody tells you "your mail was blocked because of this precise point and here is what we expect instead". It's like they want to be unhelpful.

Well, it's not like they're going to tell a dirty spammer how to avoid their spam filters.
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: June 29, 2016, 04:58:07 AM »
And you are the dirty spammer!  ;D