Author Topic: Greater Xavax Imperium  (Read 213026 times)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Greater Xavax Imperium
« Reply #225: October 27, 2016, 07:54:08 PM »
He's even marrying her!
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #226: October 27, 2016, 08:49:58 PM »
Spoilers!

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #227: October 27, 2016, 09:11:32 PM »
One too many cats got let out of the bag today...

(and Vita's gif slayyed me)
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #228: October 27, 2016, 09:37:14 PM »
Then have another! Was tossup between this and disappointed Lucille Ball.
He's even marrying her!

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #229: October 27, 2016, 10:10:37 PM »
Whatever Perdan does Vita will be thoroughly unimpressed.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #230: October 27, 2016, 10:14:12 PM »
You are forgetting the fact you lose less CS per man when you have less men. If you have 10 men, you maintain over 90% of your CS. At 50, you are down to 50%. At 100, you are down to 40% due to diminishing return. That is why it is  wise to have multiple small militia units than 1 large one most of the time.

Having 38 nobles leading 30 men each is much better than 11 people leading 100 men each.

Maybe during the initial battle. After that first battle, those 38 nobles will be down to 10 healthy troops each, while most of the other 11 nobles will still have 50+ troops because they retreated early. As casualties go up, the small unit's CS will quickly go down to 0, while the larger unit's CS will not decrease that much, because fewer troops means less diminishing return. After a few more battles, the 11 nobles might be down to 30 troops each, but the 38 nobles will have almost no troops left. Guess which side will end up retreating? Guess which side will end up with more nobles wounded or captured?

Smaller units win battles. Larger units win wars.
------
qui audet vincit

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #231: October 27, 2016, 10:20:45 PM »
Whatever Perdan does Vita will be thoroughly unimpressed.
Probably. Until I see Perdan change from its years of poor behavior. I advocated Perdan's survival, thought it was turning a new leaf. Then back to more of the same lack of care towards other players' experiences. Over and over again. Harassing and boring players from the game just so they can win.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #232: October 27, 2016, 10:43:10 PM »
@GoldPanda, but after 3 battles or so those same nobles will be able to recruit 40 to 50 men already, unless there's really no gold. Zakky does have a good point that more knights are generally the main reason for more strength, but in this case Greater Xavax has too many enemies and also too many nobles against them to make it doable. On the other hand, GX and Perdan marrying their rulers may well change stuff + Caligus is freed up again so who knows what happens next. EC is becoming more eratic by the year.

@Vita that's enough Perdan bashing again for the week. Everyone pretty much knows where other stands and while I share some of your concern, we both know this goes to deep and will lead to nothing positive. The Ikalak topic could use some more awesome rum stories in stead ;)
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Zakilevo

« Reply #233: October 27, 2016, 10:43:21 PM »
vikings? :o isn't that a tv show?

Zakilevo

« Reply #234: October 27, 2016, 10:53:03 PM »
Smaller units win battles. Larger units win wars.

I will have to disagree. Large units lose more when they panic and run. If you are commanding a unit as large as 200, you can lose 40 men from just panicking. Might even lose 40 more when you rally them.

Smaller units don't suffer the same way. Also, they are more likely to retreat than scatter meaning you may end up wasting hits on a small unit that you do not want to attack. Having more unit also means for melee units, your hits get spread out and you fail to finish your target. As for ranged units, it is even worse since you have a chance of attacking a single digit unit when you could be hitting a larger unit since you can only attack one unit per round.

Single unit may last longer but more unit wins you battles. Winning more battles and being able to sustain your advantage will win you the war not large units.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #235: October 27, 2016, 10:53:57 PM »
Sounds like your problem with large units is mainly poorly-thought-out retreat settings, Zakky.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #236: October 27, 2016, 10:55:05 PM »
Sounds like your problem with large units is mainly poorly-thought-out retreat settings, Zakky.

Nah. My archer panicked from having mosters within 2 range and they just ran from 3 monsters costing me 80 men. Silly archers.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #237: October 27, 2016, 11:03:17 PM »
Nah. My archer panicked from having mosters within 2 range and they just ran from 3 monsters costing me 80 men. Silly archers.

Hm. That sounds like it needs tuning a bit better.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #238: October 27, 2016, 11:06:49 PM »
Yes it is. It's what I chose for Selenia's character model
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Zakilevo

« Reply #239: October 27, 2016, 11:46:24 PM »
Panic hurts. I don't mind having them as they are now until you add scattered/retreat changes. Then maybe those panicked units can be considered as wounded or scattered :D