Author Topic: Greater Xavax Imperium  (Read 209732 times)

Anderfhstim

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Greater Xavax Imperium
« Reply #645: December 07, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
One thing I don't like about this game is how rules aren't set in stone. Everything feels like arbitrary or case by case too often.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #646: December 07, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
It's a "social" game... with different maps, realms and setups. With differente kind of players, chars and interests. It would be difficult, especially in the case of secessions, to set it in stone.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647: December 07, 2017, 03:03:23 PM »
It's a "social" game... with different maps, realms and setups. With differente kind of players, chars and interests. It would be difficult, especially in the case of secessions, to set it in stone.

This. The rules basically boil down to "don't cheat and don't ruin the game for other people" - in a player driven game like this it's impossible to do anything other than look at complaints on a case-by-case basis.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #648: December 07, 2017, 03:53:26 PM »
As long as the purpose of the secession isn't to shorten the refit route, and as long as there's a decent IC reason for the capital location, then you won't run into trouble with titans for the secession.
What Garas say about Brock that he known Brock wish to create a new realm for quite sometime. Sometimes he know a bit too much. Coupled with former Xavax nobles wish for a new realm, my character is fulfilling many characters wishes including Brock himself IC.

If Highmarch is a long time realm in planning, I think Brock suggested new realm will be much older if not same age as the Highmarch idea itself.

But I really do not know if I am correct to understand as I do now, and furthermore I do not wish to assume that everything is in order.

This. The rules basically boil down to "don't cheat and don't ruin the game for other people" - in a player driven game like this it's impossible to do anything other than look at complaints on a case-by-case basis.
What if this new realm somehow gives OI realm a room to grow? If new realm absorb OI, that is 3 duchies. Thinking about it, Brock has IC reason to fulfill to a Duke wishes to play a greater role in this island. Even without OI lands, that is 2 duchies, giving new realm a good stable realm size. More than that number regions for a new realm in Slimbar or same number but better richer regions... If with OI, they get 3 duchies, good size for realm and can play better role in this island too.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #649: December 07, 2017, 04:41:16 PM »
I have read some titan archive reports in the past as well and from all I can tell the problem is always with intention and thought behind it. I think it's public knowledge that Nivemus has long intended to split and I would assume that the new realm will have some form of independency as well?

Swordfell/Sol was punished because the entire idea (as explained in their letter by the titans) was to get strategic advantage. In the case of Nivemus I do not believe that is the case and I'm quite certain there should be no problem if there's at least a decent RP story behind it (which you should have, especially with the OI Duke history of Nivemus etc).

You can always ask some of the devs if you are worried and briefly explain the situation and thought behind it. Then you know for sure.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #650: December 07, 2017, 04:45:19 PM »
Nivemus planning on splitting is indeed a well known thing. I agree with Aeneas. The problem with the whole Sol and Swordfell was that Sol was literally called Fellish Duchy of Sol. Plus Crixus gave thorough instructions on everything. That is creating a puppet. Something you want to avoid in the first place. And doing that in the middle of an ongoing war....

Although you are in a war, the frontline is pretty far from Nivemus. I don't think OI and Nivemus are fighting directly? As long as the new realm is free to do whatever it wants, you are probably okay.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #651: December 07, 2017, 04:55:42 PM »

"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #652: December 07, 2017, 05:06:08 PM »
I have officially given my ruling, upon private consultation by interested parties, that a secession from Nivemus centered in Kazakh appears to be a legitimate secession to me, not an illegal strategic secession.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #653: December 07, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »
Rules may need to be interpreted situationally (damn you autocorrect, this is spelled correctly and so is autocorrect!), but the best resource of listed rules is: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies

Regarding Sironite secessions, I know I'm asking for the moon here, but wouldn't it be awesome if Sirion starting getting away secessions/new realms/cities like Oprah? And you get Krimml! And you get Oligarch! And you get Avamar! And you get Parm! Cities for everyone!

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #654: December 07, 2017, 05:45:55 PM »
OOC, that would be great. IC, not much, since you will lose the defensive belt that always protect Sirion itself. It's a way to kill Sirion, but I'm already giving up... Sirion is no more. It's already dead inside. At least you will have a new realm in Slimbar, maybe another one in Krimml/Oligarch (if Ecthelion shows up).
Serpentis again!

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #655: December 07, 2017, 06:33:37 PM »
OOC, that would be great. IC, not much, since you will lose the defensive belt that always protect Sirion itself. It's a way to kill Sirion, but I'm already giving up... Sirion is no more. It's already dead inside. At least you will have a new realm in Slimbar, maybe another one in Krimml/Oligarch (if Ecthelion shows up).

This is the thing about the geography of that area though. Even if its split up between multiple realms, eventually one realm will manage to take control of that ring of cities and then will basically be destined to be an eternal powerhouse of the continent.

Sirion's current position is pretty identical to what Bedwyr and Arcaea achieved on FEI. Arcaea eventually secured control over the ring of cities and was then able to dominate the continent. The only reason Sirion is now on the verge of disintegration is because it lacks the internal dynamism that kept Arcaea thriving.

But none of this is a bad thing. If Sirion actually splits up you'll have multiple realms which will compete with each other until survival of the fittest kicks in and one ends up dominating. But that pretty much guarantees at least three years of dynamism and interesting things happening in the north which is far better than the staticness of its history for most of my time in game.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #656: December 07, 2017, 06:36:18 PM »
Swordfell/Sol was punished because the entire idea (as explained in their letter by the titans) was to get strategic advantage. In the case of Nivemus I do not believe that is the case and I'm quite certain there should be no problem if there's at least a decent RP story behind it (which you should have, especially with the OI Duke history of Nivemus etc).

So what are the rules exactly about this? How is the line drawn?
The intentions may vary between character's and players, I can imagine this wouldn't be an easy judgment.
Are all new realms reviewed by the titans?
I also understand that old realms may not be resurrected under the exact same name, since when did this rule go in effect?
I definitely recall several cases of realms recreated under slightly different names and at least one case of recreating a realm under the exact same name without titan interference(Madina).
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #657: December 07, 2017, 06:38:40 PM »
Arcaea's ring was even worse. Super compact.

As for secession, the best way to do it is to talk to a dev if you are not sure. Just get a hold of either Anaris of Vita` and ask them.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #658: December 07, 2017, 06:44:57 PM »
Sirion's current position is pretty identical to what Bedwyr and Arcaea achieved on FEI. Arcaea eventually secured control over the ring of cities and was then able to dominate the continent. The only reason Sirion is now on the verge of disintegration is because it lacks the internal dynamism that kept Arcaea thriving.

This... and as I said, OOC, I know. It can be good. But IC, it's suicide. You can give regions in the front, but put a realm behind the belt... suicide.
Serpentis again!

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #659: December 07, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »
I also understand that old realms may not be resurrected under the exact same name, since when did this rule go in effect?
I definitely recall several cases of realms recreated under slightly different names and at least one case of recreating a realm under the exact same name without titan interference(Madina).
I don't think that's so much a punishable rule as something that is really discouraged. And something we wouldn't go out of our way to encourage. So if you're requesting a realm name change to an old realm, it would be rejected. Once a realm is dead, it's dead. Resurrecting the same name as an old realm confuses history, and wiki pages. Make a slightly different, new name, please. But I don't think any realm that's seceded with the same name as an old realm has been punished for that, nor can I imagine they ever would be. But that'd be quite uncreative in naming and confusing in distinguishing realms.