Author Topic: Greater Xavax Imperium  (Read 212944 times)

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Greater Xavax Imperium
« Reply #105: August 20, 2016, 03:08:31 AM »
I think a large part of Perdan's reason for war is to stop an imperialistic power (other than their own) to rise and become a threat. By putting it down now they save themselves the trouble later when it may cost them much more effort.

So it's more like:

They are imperialistic..
So?
So, they may become a threat to us, and we may not be in the position that we are in now
So it's pre-emptive strike on a prob would be enemy?
Yes, they will loot your lands in the future if we don't fight them now for sure.
hmhmhm, but aren't we making enemies now?
Yes, but they'd prob attack us, plus everyone's attacking them so they can't hold grudges against everyone right?

Wanna bet?  ;D

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #106: August 20, 2016, 05:09:27 AM »
Wanna bet?  ;D

We DO have a pretty incredible capacity for grudge-holding...
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: August 20, 2016, 06:58:49 AM »

We DO have a pretty incredible capacity for grudge-holding...

Yep, just ask a Giblot! Oh, wait, they don't exist anymore (again).  :P

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: August 20, 2016, 09:16:57 AM »
Wanna bet?  ;D

Hehe I can imagine, but I think that would be more the line of logic that Perdan has followed so far in this war.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #109: August 20, 2016, 03:30:39 PM »
Hehe I can imagine, but I think that would be more the line of logic that Perdan has followed so far in this war.

*scratches head* how so?

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: August 20, 2016, 04:20:36 PM »

*scratches head* how so?

in that it is the only one that Perdan isn't intervening just to be a dick.

Robb

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: August 21, 2016, 07:15:04 PM »
Gundanmerc lol as usual you let your emotions get the best out of you, so having a fortress packed with militia wasnt a big deal? It was the difference between a crushing victory for Xavax and the stalemate we were before Vix and Perdan joined, so in the end that planning resulted in the survival of Alara so far.

Robb always had a great relationship with Vix and Perdan´s rulers, even months before the war broke out he tried to communicate with them on a weekly basis to discuss different things, on the other hand Selenia antagonize them hard, perhaps neither of those things changed the outcome, perhaps they did, I guess we will need to hear from them

Totally agree that Vix joining the war balanced things and that Perdan was just overkill. But in life as in battlemaster, if you expect fairness you will most likely end up being disappointed.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #112: August 22, 2016, 12:39:35 AM »
Antagonized...largely ignored...what's the difference in this day and age?

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: August 22, 2016, 03:02:50 AM »
"We must defend Alara!"
"Why"
"Because Xavax is Imperialistic"
"So?"
"And the Alaran's can't defend themselves"
"So?"
"..."
"Have you actually met an Alaran?"
"...No"
"Really? No family? Friends? Special business interests?"
"No..."
"So why defend someone you don't know?"
"I-"
"Do you have anything to gain? Is Alara paying you?"
"No"
"Did Xavax insult you? Declare War on you? Invade you"
"No they did not"
"Have you ever actually met a Xavax?"
"No, well, except for some refugee nobles from their civil war"
"And do they have any claims on Xavax lands or titles?"
"No"
"So why are you invading Xavax and killing its peope"
"I dunno, war's better than boredom I guess."
A peasant doesn't know why the king decided to fight a war in some distant land. Surprise, surprise!
I mean, replace Xavax with France, Perdan with Russia and Alara with Austria and you get a pretty much historically correct interview taken during the times of Third Coalition war. :D

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: August 22, 2016, 07:26:09 PM »
Thought it was an okay time to follow up on the metrics, 51 days later!

realmdensityGDP (gold)GDP (silver)net fooddemense sizemilitarization
Xavax4.35325.151.17543.733451.76%
Fallangard4.18306.70.92273.656172.07%
Alara7.02259.60.62-232.749901.57%
Minas Nova3.45420.20.48647.08104910.88%
Perleone5.931106.31.03-349.5128940.96%
Perdan6.74414.60.61-1129.2282021.18%
Vix Tiramora4.8502.90.75816.7480981.61%
Sirion3.94647.60.68-291.16113521.24%
Caligus3.39460.80.92-199.4260422.10%
Obsidian Islands0.611512.12237.888635.55%
Oligarch32.58144.60.46-81237612.62%
Nivemus2.41694.50.71344.08117431.38%
Eponllyn5.3425.380.491141.66104461.68%
Shadowdale5.16597.80.68-180105561.24%
East Continent4.07451.50.741537.773671.54%

Analysis time:

With the loss of their western rurals to rebel forces, Xavax now exhibits a density just about the East Continent average. The nobility have seen their wealth increase an insignificant amount, likely due to the loss of noble houses combined with the loss of regions. The peasantry are still wealthier than the average, though they have suffered somewhat from the war effort. The war effort has been significant: even with the loss of noble houses, militarization of the realm is significantly in excess of the East Continent average, the reported value being due to a major battle with Alara. It is debatable how much longer Xavax can maintain this war, being grossly outnumbered and outmanned, but it is unclear if the war machine has peaked.

The war has drastically changed life in Fallangard, showing the second highest militarization rate in the continent behind the noble-warrior caste in the Obsidian Isles. Density has remained average, noble wealth is still below average, but figures for peasant wealth have increased on an increased demand for wargoods and the loss of poor rural farmers. Demenses have decreased in size with the loss of countryside. The war effort is all encompassing in an attempt to drive back the quintuple alliance but certainly unsustainable.

A shift towards a more normal population density for Alara reflects the reclamation of their former rurals ravaged by Xavax imperialism. Noble wealth has fallen sharply and demense size more modestly due to an influx of nobles clamouring for conquered holdings of the Imperium. Peasants are still impoverished, their wealth increasing insignificantly. Most telling is militarization, the reported value is deflated due to a major battle with Imperium forces, but the number has still dropped significantly from two months ago. The Alaran effort has succeeded in stalling the war long enough for their allies to intervene, but lacking decisive action to end the war Alara may fall.

Aside from an insignificant increase in population density, Minas Nova has not fared well after intially profitting from the war. Noble wealth has fallen in the absence of more noble houses and the impoverished peasantry have suffered greatly. Their wealth has plummeted to the second lowest in the continent as presser gangs round up able bodied men and farming has moved strictly to rationable grain and cured meats in an effort to maintain net food production. Militarization has plummeted to the lowest in the continent. It appears the Novan war machine is failing and without allied assistance they will surely be crushed.

Stagnation has gripped Ibladesh following the Xavax occupation. Though the city was liberated, the armies of Perleone have not recovered and now reflect one of the lowest militarization rates in the continent. Noble wealth has increased but it appears that this is mostly due to the loss of some noble houses rather than a true economic change. It is unclear how Perleone will continue to contribute through this war offensively, but the strategic importance of Ibladesh as a fortress is certain.

Density and noble wealth have increased as the Perdan war machine gears up. Militarization has increased modestly, but in a nation of this size that reflects a substantial amount. Presser gangs have efficiently rounded up able bodied men into the armies, slightly decreasing peasant wealth, but it is sustainable and well within the capacity of Perdan. Swift action is required of the Lions of Perdan to save their southern allies and stem Xavax aggression; it appears they are well on their way to accomplishing their goals.

The situation is similar in Vix Tiramora. While density, wealth, and demense numbers have fallen, this is a reflection of the conquered Fallangard countryside rather than any true losses. Even with increased population, militarization has increased to above continent average representing their crucial military contributions. Along with their Perdanese allies, they are on their way to saving the south.

Sirion has stayed the same. Numbers have literally barely budged. And... well that is all. Business as usual.

Caligus has more or less stayed the same. Militarization has fallen from 3rd to 4th, likely due to a reconfiguration of militia.

The noble-warrior caste of the Obsidian Isles has somehow increased their militarization even further; besides this, life remains largely the same.

The conquest of First Oligarch has brought them to their knees. Noble wealth has sank with the loss of their countryside, but impressive gold stores have brought them from 8th to 3rd highest militarization. They will not succeed without outside assistance, but it will be a bloody and hard-fought end.

The war has slightly increased the wealth of Nivemus. Aside from this, militarization has fallen from lost militia. They have been quite successful in their war.

Eponllyn has expanded and profited from Oligarch lands. Noble wealth has increased and the yoke of foreign military nobles has fallen hard on the peasants as their prospects decrease. Militarization has fallen solely due to increased population and the warrior class is still extensive.

With a migration away from the city to new farmlands, Shadowdale has reached greater prosperity than before. Trade is flourishing and quality of life has improved for everyone.

My observations: the War of the Quintuple Alliance/War against Xavax Aggression is nearing a precipice. As it stands, the alliance will succeed but if it is not soon then the southern allies will fall. The only thing that is certain is that the south will be devastated for decades to come. The war against First Oligarch is coming to a close. The end is certain, but the timeline is open. It will likely be bloody if it is prolonged and bloodier if swift.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:30:39 AM by BarticaBoat »

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #115: August 23, 2016, 12:16:14 AM »
I so look forward to your work!

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #116: August 29, 2016, 05:16:40 PM »
Soo bit of a topic change, but to the Xavax players...all 3 of you on the forums...to you, what does it mean to be Xavax? What are our values? How big of a deal is the imagery of the Phoenix? In your mind's eye, what does our architecture look like? What are things that we hate? That we love? That we respect?

I'd like to really define the character of your typical Xavax for RP purposes.

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: August 29, 2016, 07:32:46 PM »
I'd like to really define the character of your typical Xavax for RP purposes.

I think Xavax is about duty and the fulfillment of oaths. The Imperium itself (as I defined it) exists to administer the lands of Greater Xavax and the subservient cities. I can't really think of another current realm that exists for a purpose beyond self-propagation. And that should be important to us, that we have an actual RP purpose and reality. Our values are duty foremost: I show this with my character's estate. It's being roleplayed as a hive of crime, smuggling, and villainy, but as long as the taxes are paid and the disturbances are under control it doesn't matter. The people are happy enough, his liege is happy the taxes come in, and that's it.

Also important to me when my character was judge was the fact that I wrote very few true laws beyond treason against the Imperium and subversion of the Xerarch. It gives everyone at every level room to roleplay themselves as approaching petty kings of their own estates. Everything else is a system of arbitrating disputes and grievances. So independence is a big value as well I'd say.

I find after the war when we rebuild the Phoenix will become more important. Right now I don't think we feel connected to it as a symbol of rebuilding after the other islands sank, the real experience of post-Quintuple Alliance war will reinforce it.

I'd say Xavax proper is lots of wood buildings from the fog and generally a wet, cool environment. The walls and few stone buildings require lots of maintenance from constant rains and erosion. I see a lot of steeples and moss, the harbour as sort of seedy, and a sort of disconnect between military and civilian sections of the city. Military districts have thicker smoke from smithies (military service is classified as an appropriate tax after all) and there are more stone buildings there which are constantly being rebuilt. The civilian areas have wooden buildings with high steeples, the buildings are lopsided from generally being soaked most of the time but if managed well don't rot and breakdown. Streets are rarely wide enough for anything bigger than a donkey cart and there are many alleyways and small paths. I'd also imagine small open market squares, but nothing like a distinct market or merchant district.

We hate Semall and Itorunt and love beer and tax collectors missing our homes. We respect fulfilling our word and not necessarily liars, but people skilled with their words. I wouldn't say deception is particularly frowned upon.

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: August 29, 2016, 09:07:55 PM »
I see Xavax sort of like the Byzantine Empire in that the bulk of of people came from other lands (the sunken island, a few nobles shuffled about due to the one noble per island rule coming into effect, etc.) continuing their lives and traditions adapted to the new lands (sort of like how the Byzantines switched to using Greek over Latin and adopted Christianity while still considering themselves "Roman"), as such I expect many of our fellows to uphold traditions left over from their old realms blending them into the greater culture of Xavax.

I hold the symbolism of the Phoenix in high regard. Much like the dual sayings of "Glory to The Imperium" and "Xavax Endures", it is a powerful image and useful for propaganda material.

Architecture-wise I see old ruined marble buildings existent from before the Ice overtook the area (the marble likely gathered from around Oc Lu Pesh and the Mines of Isadril during better times), which are slowly being repaired/improved upon, along side more modern structures of varied styles conforming to the mixed tastes of our people, much of the material scavenged from lesser older buildings and wood cut from the nearby forests. I can imagine Xavax having a few true major roads coming from the main gateways, with multiple branching and twisting minor roads, alleyways, and paths making up the bulk. I've mentioned a large marketplace before the palace in the execution RP I did, but smaller plazas probably also exist elsewhere. Sort of like a middle ages city built on the site of the ruins of a Late Antiquity one.

We hate cowardice and we like duels, minding our own business, and conflict. We respect strength and resiliency. We love arguments, and testing our own strength and resiliency.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #119: September 01, 2016, 02:10:36 AM »
We have to deal with a lot of different flavors because the Xavax are, from the start, refugees and thrill seekers. Colonists seeking a new life. I am uncertain if there is a suitable parallel in ancient or medieval times that would be good foundation, culturally and aesthetically, for us to base the flavor of Xavax upon.

Selenia's absolute power in and the diversity of her court, to say nothing of their respect for strength and consciousness of maintaining an semblance of martial honor, remind me more of the Mongol Khanate (Perhaps like what was seen in Marco Polo). Afterall, Xavax the City is no gem, hardly comparable to Rome or Constantinople. Nor are its people overly concerned with art, music, or other pleasing aesthetics. War, Victory, Arrogance, Expansion to where we believe our manifest destiny leads us and duels of honor holding a pinnacle place in the social order. I see those as defining traits that lend them more to the ideals of eastern empires, as opposed to western ones.