Author Topic: Greater Xavax Imperium  (Read 211806 times)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Greater Xavax Imperium
« Reply #240: October 28, 2016, 11:57:01 AM »
I will have to disagree. Large units lose more when they panic and run. If you are commanding a unit as large as 200, you can lose 40 men from just panicking. Might even lose 40 more when you rally them.

Smaller units don't suffer the same way. Also, they are more likely to retreat than scatter meaning you may end up wasting hits on a small unit that you do not want to attack. Having more unit also means for melee units, your hits get spread out and you fail to finish your target. As for ranged units, it is even worse since you have a chance of attacking a single digit unit when you could be hitting a larger unit since you can only attack one unit per round.

Single unit may last longer but more unit wins you battles. Winning more battles and being able to sustain your advantage will win you the war not large units.

Except we don't have the gold to continuously replace our units. We're actually at half strength right now because of a lack of gold. In addition, you're mentioning personal anecdotes, not statistics. I, for example, could quote my own personal anecdote of just completely out attritioning enemy units with one massive unit. I personally have almost never seen the kind of panicking that would lead to that many casualties unless the unit was absurdly large (up in the 200s), and by that point you can just take the casualties because of its sheer size. Smaller units are basically a glass cannon. They work well once. And only once, because your men have died and you need to refit. Which costs gold. Which we don't have.

You should look up the gold comparison I did of the involved nations near the start of the war, Greater Xavax isn't actually that rich of a realm compared to what we were facing, and with the amount of looting that has been going on in our regions, it's even less so now.

Zakilevo

« Reply #241: October 28, 2016, 08:06:10 PM »
You can't straight up compare gold anymore. Depending on their size, they get their tax gold cut quite a bit. Like Sirion for example. They probably get less tax gold than Caligus due to their size. Let's not forget GX at this point used up w/e gold they brought from Atamara.

As for how many you will lose, it depends on stats mostly. If your unit has crappy armor and getting hit by a truck then yeah you will see more dead men than wounded. Obviously some of your opponents are known for having high quality RCs. Quality costs gold. Also, large units with low cohesion and training tend to panic more easily. Especially archers. If you find yourself in a situation where your large archers are left with no infantry and their infantry are closing in, they will panic. Once panic happens you are screwed.

And yes, I had 215 archers when my archers ditched the field. Large units tend to attract more hits getting focused fired at the end so being large can be beneficial if you are leading 200 cheap units to soak up damage.

There is a new scattered/retreated code in place for WI apparently. So we will see how things go. If it goes well, it will probably get implemented across the game. Basically, if your unit retreats, it will work like now. But if they scatter, you will lose 90% of wounded soldiers.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #242: October 28, 2016, 10:56:43 PM »
I'm not even going to bother, it's clear you are going to believe what you want to regardless of any evidence we bring forward. Oh, by the way, Greater Xavax doesn't have the issue with low tax rates that Sirion has because we have a very, very high noble density, not very much peasant population compared to say, Caligus and Sirion, and a middling amount of regions. Isadril has 19-20% without the lord being there. It probably is ssustainable at 16-17%.

So the issue isn't an inability to tax, it's sheer number of nobles splitting the income. Besides, more men is always better, because it's diminishing returns, not negative or zero. So long as you can afford the unit, there is no reason to get a larger one, because a larger unit can survive multiple battles. Trust me, I say this with experience in multiple sieges where more than one attack was needed. The player of Bustoarsenzio Peristaltico was very much one of the best strategic minds of Battlemaster at the time, and I distinctly remember this being done in one of his attacks against Xinhai's/Morek Empire's enemies.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #243: October 28, 2016, 11:33:08 PM »
I promise, we don't argue this much in Xavax. Swearswear
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Victor C

• Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244: October 29, 2016, 01:28:47 AM »
Firstly,

Posts have been moved into this thread due to their base discussion revolving around Greater Xavax.

Secondly,

Let us be calm. Zakky is explaining what he believes as well as what both GoldPanda and GundanMerc are doing as well. Let's not take umbrage from this discussion, as well as let us not provoke each other.

Do not let this discussion turn into a personal dispute.
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #245: November 02, 2016, 07:49:03 AM »
It would be nice if we had some kind of battle simulator to test out these different theories instead of just debating them.
------
qui audet vincit

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #246: November 04, 2016, 07:39:46 AM »
It would be nice if we had some kind of battle simulator to test out these different theories instead of just debating them.
It's called playing the game and proving your theory is correct by defeating the opponent.

Zakilevo

« Reply #247: November 04, 2016, 07:43:36 AM »
It's called playing the game and proving your theory is correct by defeating the opponent.

LOL  ;D

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #248: November 04, 2016, 07:10:32 PM »
Sure thing. I just need 3000 gold to boost up the units of half of my knights. Then I'll ask the other half to stay home.

Or perhaps someone didn't read the whole thread to get the full context?  :)
------
qui audet vincit

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #249: November 05, 2016, 06:17:08 AM »
I'm guilty.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #250: November 05, 2016, 04:35:41 PM »
Sure thing. I just need 3000 gold to boost up the units of half of my knights. Then I'll ask the other half to stay home.

In that case go fight Shadowdale, they just donated 2200 gold to us as well ;)
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Zaros

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #251: November 05, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »
By the way,what happened to Garas?
Warchief family

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #252: November 05, 2016, 09:32:49 PM »
By the way,what happened to Garas?

What do you mean? He's at the same place where he's been ever since he left Sirion?

In case you're referring to the fact that Catherine is now ruler and not Garas? Catherine's his wife and it happened during time I was very busy IRL, plus we hoped it would make a good impression with the rest of the north (the latter failed, but it still added quite some extra flavor and stuff). Garas remains Duke though (and General again for a while now).
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #253: November 15, 2016, 10:45:25 PM »
Question: How is Alara conducting a TO of Enubec when they have no adjacent regions?

How does Minas Nova possess Aeng with no adjacent regions?

Did I miss something?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Sharpspeare

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Sharpspeare Family
« Reply #254: November 15, 2016, 11:39:29 PM »
Question: How is Alara conducting a TO of Enubec when they have no adjacent regions?

How does Minas Nova possess Aeng with no adjacent regions?

Did I miss something?

Takeover   (3 days, 5 hours ago)
message to all nobles on East Continent
Alara has taken control of Aeng. The region used to belong to Greater Xavax.

I've looked, but I couldn't find where Aeng became a part of Minas Nova
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious" ~ Vince Lombardi

"Allons-y" 10th Doctor