Author Topic: Really Eponlynn?  (Read 37885 times)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Really Eponlynn?
« Reply #105: July 08, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »
why are you so concerned with losing?
Its not about singular instances. You know full well I have roleplayed through loss as much as anyone else. And risk, you know I have pushed some of my characters into extremely-unlikely risks that don't always pan out. Nor is it about characters, realms, religions, guilds in any specific instance. Its about an overall trend by some.

also most if not all of you have been on the other side of the coin in some other realm
Which is why I've tried to keep the other side's perspective in mind when I am the 'victor'. Hence being open to Perdan's survival. Or advocating delaying striking Barca and Asylon as long as possible, from Luria etc. I cannot deny that Lorgan influenced me in this regard with how he has played Dunbor and OOC discussions about Fingolfin. And why it is all the more frustrating to have had Perdan claim 'small realms, limited wars', and then do just the opposite with fellow players that were for all those things, when we should be working with each other to show how it can work, not how it can turn into another gangbang. That, may really be the crux of it for me. Here I thought we were working around a table with fellow players, despite our characters fighting a war, to show a better, more balanced way of playing out a story, and then they just wipe us off the board with the same old styles as before because WINNING! And yes, I find it quite suspicious that this happened at the same time that I was told (IRC) many older players had returned to Perdan, and at the same time reports of increased OOC drama started occurring inside Perdan.

EDIT: I think I do this out of twofold reasoning being IC 'give them plenty of rope to hang themselves with' infowar style, combined with OOC giving players opportunity to shift gears when things aren't going well.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 05:22:59 PM by Vita »

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #106: July 08, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »
So when Perdan lost the great war, I too pushed for not destroying them. But in the process we had in fact already destroyed Westmoor.
I remember resistance to even that, at least within Eponllyn. We very much had a perspective of 'why are you fighting us? we do not want to kill you, but you are demanding our life or yours. stop being perdan's puppet', along with 'well, if you wont stop trying to kill us, i guess we must exact justice and since you're trying to kill us, that means execution. but you know...you could stop. please.' attitude. I mean, Zakky's character did not *help* anyone like Westmoor at all, but other than that, Eponllyn felt Westmoor suicided. I felt unfortunate for them as they were just caught in the middle, just like Eponllyn was in the middle. Both the fighting grounds of larger hatreds between Perdan and Sirion.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 05:20:40 PM by Vita »

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: July 08, 2016, 05:33:32 PM »

This is not a competitive game. You get no prize for "winning." You get no praise for forcing people to do things your way.

A big circlejerk is its own reward, though, isn't it?

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: July 08, 2016, 06:35:47 PM »
This entire topic is a big disappointment to me.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Zakilevo

« Reply #109: July 08, 2016, 06:54:32 PM »
Vita my character DID help Westmoor. Meivmayr was in Westmoor as a Westmoorian noble from the beginning of the war until Westmoor died. After Westmoor got destroyed he moved to Perdan and became their king :p

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: July 08, 2016, 07:07:36 PM »
I did not say he did not help Westmoor, I said:

Zakky's character did not *help* anyone like Westmoor at all

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: July 08, 2016, 10:44:32 PM »
Vita my character DID help Westmoor. Meivmayr was in Westmoor as a Westmoorian noble from the beginning of the war until Westmoor died. After Westmoor got destroyed he moved to Perdan and became their king :p

To summarize, he said you made us dislike Westmoor (had to read it a few times myself as well :p) and yeah Westmoor had the problem that it was A) trying to kill Eponllyn and B) in the way of fighting Perdan and finally hurting them for a change which was not possible with Westmoor still around. These ultimately led to it's destruction.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: July 08, 2016, 11:10:48 PM »
so westmoor got eaten for getting in the way of another war... why is this so familiar...
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: July 09, 2016, 07:57:36 AM »
so westmoor got eaten for getting in the way of another war... why is this so familiar...

Now you're just reading selectively. If Westmoor had signed peace, or not tried to burn Sirion and destroy Eponllyn in the process, then not of that would've happened.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: July 09, 2016, 07:26:36 PM »
im actually referring to the irony of eponllyn players' objections to perdan's actions in what seems like extremely similar circumstances.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #115: July 09, 2016, 07:54:25 PM »
im actually referring to the irony of eponllyn players' objections to perdan's actions in what seems like extremely similar circumstances.

In part I see your logic, but Westmoor refused to surrender throughout the entire war. Eponllyn did reach a point where they were willing to surrender and terms could have been made if the true goal had been to burn the north. So there is an important difference there in my opinion.

I should prob not defend Eponllyn right now though as they intend to wipe us out in stead now...:p

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: July 09, 2016, 08:43:29 PM »
right, eppy was not fully destroyed though.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: July 09, 2016, 09:06:44 PM »
right, eppy was not fully destroyed though.

actually, it's kind of worse that it wasn't. It was basically castrated and left to die a slow death from weakness.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: July 09, 2016, 09:41:52 PM »
i actually agree fully, but then what do you want? people complain when you destroy a realm, people complain when you cripple a realm, people basically complain about any form of loss. you knew what you were getting into when you signed up, this isnt a text based version of wow where all movement is forward no matter how bad you screw up.

like it or not and whether certain devs agree or not bm is not just a competitive game, but an intensely competitive game by its very nature. you have competition within realms for titles and competition between realms over lands. remove that competition and you may as well be running an rp forum. object to that competition and youre fighting against human nature.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #119: July 09, 2016, 10:06:04 PM »
i actually agree fully, but then what do you want? people complain when you destroy a realm, people complain when you cripple a realm, people basically complain about any form of loss. you knew what you were getting into when you signed up, this isnt a text based version of wow where all movement is forward no matter how bad you screw up.

like it or not and whether certain devs agree or not bm is not just a competitive game, but an intensely competitive game by its very nature. you have competition within realms for titles and competition between realms over lands. remove that competition and you may as well be running an rp forum. object to that competition and youre fighting against human nature.

As long as Eponllyn can keep it's nobles moral high enough they have enough of a fighting chance actually to grow bigger again. I think this is always better than complete destruction. Also of course there should be loss for stupid mistakes, or even for ballsy moves, but what frustrates me the most personally is the risk aversion tactic that most people apply when they're only willing to start a war when they know from the start that they will dominate another realm. Such is competitive yes, but one that does frustrate me tbh. It in part let to Atamara's situation and EC may well follow suit if we let things play out for another year or so and that's the only thing that worries me on EC. Not so much whether or not Oligarch falls, but the great clumps of alliances deadlocking everything.