Author Topic: The Tale of Barrett Brine  (Read 10816 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Barrett Brine
« Reply #15: July 07, 2020, 11:33:20 PM »

Barrett steps off his ship and marches straight for the main square before the palace of Golden Farrow. The city watch has a path of egress cleared for him, which cuts through a rather sizable crowd. Tales of his mutiny had be told among peasants and nobles alike, and of course any event in which the King addressed the people was sure to draw attention.

The mariner arrived at a set of temporary wooden steps before a raised stone stage meant for public addresses. Solomons stood at the top, on a second tier platform so as to stay in view at all times.

Barrett paused a moment and sighed. His terms were met. His crimes would be forgiven and it would all be done according to his code, but still, he was embarrassed that he lost. Without looking back he ascended the steps. The king kept a stern face, not betraying relief, or pity or even satisfaction.

Barrett cleared his throat. 

"I say first, before all witnesses here today that Navarch Solomon has proved himself a man of honor. He is the sort that would put forth even his mortal body in defense of his principles. Some weeks ago I made a wager with the Navarch that if he could best me in a duel I would make public apology for all crimes I have committed against the crown, and swear loyal service to him henceforth. As he did unseem me from hip bone to rib cage I now must keep my oath. Let it be known that this day, Navarch Solomon has the distinction of being the only man ever to make the Great Barrett Brine kneel.

The mariner unstrapped his cutlas from his side and held it, still sheathed in both hands, parallel to the ground. Then he dropped to one knee.

"To all those who were in the military council during the events of my mutiny, I apologize for having insulted you, and defied your orders," he said

"To those nobles who were tasked with hunting for me in the wild north. I apologize for your hardships and the death of your men in battle and due to the elements. 

To Sir Kophyn, I apologize for having slain your men, held you captive and divested you of your raiment. 

Last, and most importantly, Navarch Solomon, as all crimes committed against your subjects are in turn crimes committed against the crown I humbly apologies for all my transgressions."

Solomon takes the sword.

"By the power vested in me as Navarch of Tol Goldora I grant you full pardon. Swear loyalty to me and I shall restore you as a full noble citizen of the realm with all rights and privileges therein"

"Navarch Solomon," said Barrett, "I swear loyalty to you henceforth."

Solomon gestured for him to rise. Once on his feet the Navarch handed him back his cutlass. 

"It is done," he said.

Some applause broke out in the crowd.

I wonder how the song will end now, Barrett wondered.