Author Topic: new auto caravans  (Read 12061 times)

cjnodell

Re: new auto caravans
« Reply #30: August 03, 2011, 05:49:25 PM »
OK. How would one say: Sell all food over 400 bushels each harvest?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: August 03, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »
1) It's not "each harvest." It's "whenever you have over X bushels in the warehouse."  If it were "each harvest," that would cause all kinds of problems with food not being transferred because it didn't quite get there in time.

2) Bearing that in mind, you would set up an automatic caravan order to sell to <destination region>, with the threshold at 400, and the amount being something high, like 1000.  If you want to just give the food away, you can now set the sell price to 0, or you can set it to whatever you can see that <destination region>'s offering to buy for.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: August 03, 2011, 08:44:43 PM »
ok... how does buying work then? does the buyer region just keep spamming caravans even if there's nothing to buy on the other end?
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: August 03, 2011, 09:03:06 PM »
ok... how does buying work then? does the buyer region just keep spamming caravans even if there's nothing to buy on the other end?

Do you mean on the other end of the automatic sell caravan? If so, then just set up an automatic buy offer.

It sounds like you mean an automatic buy caravan, though.  In that case, yes; every time the amount stored is less than the threshold, and there is not currently a caravan out on that route, it will send out a caravan to buy from the specified destination.

However, the idea is that you would either work this out ahead of time with the Lord of the destination region, or pick a region that has an automatic buy price displayed.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: August 03, 2011, 11:08:19 PM »
how?

let's say 1 city requires lots of food and buys from 4 regions. how does he setup 4 auto caravans routes to buy?

let's say the 4 regions are respectively 1,2,3,4 regions away and assume they all have sell offers set up already.

i don't really think it's possible for the buyer to set any sort of meaning threshold... and it'll just keep spamming tons of caravans to the closest region for no good reason.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:10:32 PM by fodder »
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: August 03, 2011, 11:38:58 PM »
how?

let's say 1 city requires lots of food and buys from 4 regions. how does he setup 4 auto caravans routes to buy?

let's say the 4 regions are respectively 1,2,3,4 regions away and assume they all have sell offers set up already.

You just set up four separate auto-caravan orders, with the same threshold if you want, or different thresholds if you want some kind of escalating system, that go to each of the different regions.
Timothy Collett

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: August 04, 2011, 07:28:52 PM »
so it's

buy <blank> X price Y threshold Z region?

is it ok to leave the  amount as blank to buy everything?

seeing as I read that it's not working, is it a case of people not putting the right bits in, or is it a case of it being just plain bugged?
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: August 04, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »
so it's

buy <blank> X price Y threshold Z region?

is it ok to leave the  amount as blank to buy everything?

No, you can't leave it blank. You have to tell it a maximum amount to buy.  How else does it know how much gold to put into the caravan when it sends it out?

seeing as I read that it's not working, is it a case of people not putting the right bits in, or is it a case of it being just plain bugged?

I don't know.  "I read that it's not working" is so very useless to me as a developer.

If someone can give me facts, rather than rumours, I can try to help.
Timothy Collett

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: August 04, 2011, 10:15:53 PM »
all i know is what i read in bugtracker. i've no idea if you know whether it's a case of them not ticking right boxes or something else.

ie.. it would be helpful to find out if someone filled in the right boxes somewhere and got it to work.

i'll see if i can't get the duke of rines to get me some details.

----
incidentally,

when you send a caravan out with gold to buy and it doesn't return within the same tax period. where does the gold go?

let's say you have a normal tax week income of 1k gold (minus the other maintenance bits, before splitting with knights, etc)
the day before the tax day your auto caravan went out with 300 gold to buy. does that mean net tax income will be 700?

(probably matters most with high price buying, especially when caravans get spammed and return with no food)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:35:39 PM by fodder »
firefox

egamma

« Reply #39: August 05, 2011, 08:21:35 PM »
when you send a caravan out with gold to buy and it doesn't return within the same tax period. where does the gold go?

let's say you have a normal tax week income of 1k gold (minus the other maintenance bits, before splitting with knights, etc)
the day before the tax day your auto caravan went out with 300 gold to buy. does that mean net tax income will be 700?

(probably matters most with high price buying, especially when caravans get spammed and return with no food)

The gold is on the caravan, and can be stolen.
I think your net tax income example is correct.