Author Topic: Are you kidding me Morek?  (Read 13280 times)

Skirting boards

• Knight
    • View Profile
Are you kidding me Morek?
« Topic Start: July 10, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
First you take an interesing war with Arnor and declare peace in order to appease them.

Then you give away a city to Astrum, just cause theres been some controversy over it, even though the majority of your nobles wanted to keep it.

Then you let a bunch of "Terran" nobles hijack your realm (which I'm okay with, keeps stuff interesting) who then launch a rebellion when theyre colony fails and rebel in order to keep a placeholder position for Katrina Dragul.

Lastly you let a duke cecede your CAPITAL city and form their own realm, and then declare an alliance with them.

Talk about trying to keep things status quo and not wanting to fight any wars or contribute to any discussions with other rulers on the continent. Way to continue being the most boring realm in BM.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:43:40 PM by Skirting boards »

Zakilevo

Re: Are you kidding me Morek?
« Reply #1: July 10, 2016, 09:54:16 PM »
Well my friend. Now it is time for you to look for a new realm. Come to Astrum  ;D We like fighting wars.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 10, 2016, 10:03:29 PM »
I have literally no idea what's going on in the north. Someone should write up a brief news flash or better yet a roleplay post.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 10, 2016, 10:04:57 PM »
Yeah...I could add a couple items to that list from my perspective as an allied ruler trying to cooperate with Morek against its foes. But instead, just lots of empty words (or silence), inaction, and 'make-nice-with-everyone-in-alliance-block'. SA is an Alliance, not a Church. It's sole focus is on retaining political power. Not that some players within it cannot have different objectives, but for many years now, the Church as a collective-elders-government has put their hegemony above the fun of players, to the detriment of themselves losing players getting bored.

I started ESA to do something different, but I'm burnt out on any IC action anymore, especially after dealing with Morek, who I had invested thousands of gold into a temple built by Morek's ruler with express roleplays about the temple-expansion being dedicated to Morek's victory *over my own realm*, trying to demonstrate a religion independent of realm politics. All it takes is a new noble in the realm to tear the temple down, Katrina to spend months saying 'we will do something about that', nothing to ever happen, and then to see that same noble elected ruler. That noble not even being SA, but pagan, which you think a dual SA-ESA theocracy could at least agree that a pagan closing any astroist temple is perhaps...concerning? Nope. That would create conflict and end Pax Sanguisa. That was one of the final frustrations of exerting effort to work with others only to have minimal effort spent to completely destroy the little progress we had made to try to have a wider reach and provide more connections to more characters in more realms.

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: July 10, 2016, 10:07:47 PM »
Well I tried to change Morek too. Even allowed the Empire to shatter into pieces instead of trying to put things back together.

Didn't take too much effort. Anyway, I tried to pick a fight with multiple realms but didn't take too long to get kicked out.

Was fun while that lasted.

Skirting boards

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 10, 2016, 10:29:34 PM »
Well my friend. Now it is time for you to look for a new realm. Come to Astrum  ;D We like fighting wars.

I already found a new realm in D'hara.

After being booted from Morek's generalship and being banned for assassinating a few nobles that were trying to turn Morek into the new Terran.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 10, 2016, 11:26:51 PM »
summary:

mayhem did something crazy and probably pointless

dragul rolled over

who's surprised, again?
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 11, 2016, 04:44:18 AM »
SA is killing Dwilight. Has been for a long while. This was one of the last nails in its coffin.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Chamberlain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 11, 2016, 05:02:48 AM »
In fairness the GMs look to be trying to do something with SA but the player base are too scared to consider anything different because lets face it, it is an incredibly well established church and infrastructure. Maybe a bit of a victim of its own success now.

Recently in my realm there have been a couple of RP events showing an active non-SA deity, and religious recruitment is still near impossible... almost tempted to put in an SMA violation complaint when I was told it was good that a deity had got rid of daimons but there could be no sensible conversion because there were still undead about that the actions against the daimons may have caused... REALLY?!

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: July 11, 2016, 05:48:59 AM »
I think in order for religions to become something important, it needs to reach a critical mass. Otherwise, it will never have enough influence to make it interesting. I don't think we have enough people left to make it happen.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 11, 2016, 10:16:46 AM »
In fairness the GMs look to be trying to do something with SA but the player base are too scared to consider anything different because lets face it, it is an incredibly well established church and infrastructure. Maybe a bit of a victim of its own success now.

Recently in my realm there have been a couple of RP events showing an active non-SA deity, and religious recruitment is still near impossible... almost tempted to put in an SMA violation complaint when I was told it was good that a deity had got rid of daimons but there could be no sensible conversion because there were still undead about that the actions against the daimons may have caused... REALLY?!
I have been doing the most recent Portal events. Yes, I have been trying to include and involve religion in them as a means of endorsing religiosity. However, and especially in the roleplay you mention, I try to avoid religious partiality so much as to give them both fodder to interpret and use against the other.

Unfortunately, some players refuse to join religions on account of modern religious views. And those that do, want to run their own religion, resulting in too many weak, pointless faiths with one priest each. And on Dwilight, that serves SA well. It makes me wonder that if any lord could form a realm, whether we'd have everyone forming their own pointless realm too.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 11, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »
I have been doing the most recent Portal events.
You're doing a great job then.
Unfortunately, some players refuse to join religions on account of modern religious views.
I think if that's a thing, it contributes only marginally to most players not being religious. I know my character on Dwi have wanted to join a religion since day one. But I don't want to join a dead religion, why would I? We have a VE priest and he spends exactly zero time preaching or doing anything linked to religion. More active religions tend to stay with the realms where they are already established and make zero effort to spread abroad. I do not say this to somehow blame the religious leaders for not going out of their way to proselytize and bring more people and realms into the fold. Just explaining why in my opinion religious life is non-existant in many realms.
And those that do, want to run their own religion, resulting in too many weak, pointless faiths with one priest each.
I think there are also some important issues to be recognized here.
Imagine a realm where religious life is dead and some active character decides to liven it up. He has had precisely zero interaction with priests of existing faiths. There is no way for him to learn anything about other religions except reading the wiki. I tried to read about old religions btw and it just left me confounded. There is no surprise said player will just simply start a new religion because there is no benefit for him in doing otherwise, rather lots of trouble and inconveniences.

I understand that for the game in general it would be better to have less religions with more members in each. But we must also realize that players need to be incentivised. There needs to be a reason to become a proselyte of some established faith when you can just become a high priest of your own tiny sect instead. Right now there is none. See my point?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:12:56 PM by Constantine »

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 11, 2016, 12:42:57 PM »
You're doing a great job then.
I'll always appreciate any advice, critique, or other player input.

I think if that's a thing, it contributes only marginally to most players not being religious. I know my character on Dwi have wanted to join a religion since day one. But I don't want to join a dead religion, why would I?
I have mixed views on this. Most religions are dead. Just as some realms are dead. The way to get them not-dead is to join them and try to shake them up into doing something, not by continuing to pretend they do not exist. Or to destroy them so they are one less option for folks to waste time on. At the same time, especially with my EC character, I have joined and left plenty of religions that refused to do anything.

And as to contributional significance of modern views, as someone who has tried to share religion, I cannot count the number of times I have been rebuffed for simply 'I do not do religion'. And those times I tried to ask why, in a fictional game in a medieval setting, they refuse to even consider their noble being religious, it comes down to them playing as an agnostic or atheist or that 'religions are just scams', 'religions are the opiate of the masses' etc. Hey, aren't we the nobles controlling those masses, at least? Sometimes, its just a private religious roleplayed background, which is at least entirely credible for the medieval noble milieu, if not still frustrating that they've chosen to not consider working with others over IC flavor text, when they could've used the opportunity to spread their IC flavor text to others via the religion.

We have a VE priest and he spends exactly zero time preaching or doing anything linked to religion. More active religion tend to stay with the realms where they are already established and make zero effort to spread abroad. I do not say this to somehow blame the religious leaders for not going out of their way to proselytize and bring more people and realms into the fold. Just explaining why in my opinion religious life is non-existant in many realms.
VE is one of those religions that only cares about their roleplays theological flavor text, but never actually does anything. At least SA does something and communicates, even if it might not be the best something (alliance/political-power) imo.

As someone who *has* tried to actively proselytize, its has felt quite sisyphean, resulting in myself putting less and less effort into converting others as time passed, furthering the cycle. Especially when it takes so little effort to wash out the effort put into converting. Such as temples destroyed in Fissoa, Morek, and Swordfell with little to no roleplay behind it or even against standing roleplay, which are important for being able to attract nobles in different realms by giving them a place to register at. So I can see how some get burnt out on trying to make efforts that do not pay off. Religious frustration was actually the final straw/cause of my pausing my characters. I also see some do not try, like the VE priest you mention. And, I'm not trying to single anyone out, as each realm has different folks in in, times change, and they are hardly the single instance, but in my experience, Madina is extremely isolationist and suspicious/paranoid about anything outside their realm.

Imagine a realm where religious life is dead and some active character decides to liven it up. He has had precisely zero interaction with priests of existing faiths. There is no way for him to learn anything about other religions except reading the wiki. I tried to read about old religions btw and it just left me confounded. There is no surprise said player will just simply start a new religion because there is no benefit for him in doing otherwise, rather lots of trouble and inconveniences.
Fair enough point upon old info. I wouldn't stress theological details early on, myself, for the same reason I wouldn't recommend a large number of roleplays about a realm. I did like that astroism has a catechism of simple beliefs. I would say that starting a religion is just as much trouble and inconvenience as joining one, just a different sort of trouble and inconvenience.

I understand that for the game in general it would be better to have less religions with more members in each. But we must also realize that players need to be incentivised. There needs to be a reason to become a proselyte of some established faith when you can just become a high priest of your own tiny sect instead. Right now there is none. See my point?
Well, my opinion is that you should not be allowed to create a new religion if there are at least 4 religions. One of those four dies? Open game for a new religion! My opinion is not likely to happen anytime soon. I'd also like to see the religious famepoint changed from the founder, to be available to any priest-elder who has enlarged a temple over a certain very-expensive size. This has already been discussed and approved.

And again, I would say the ultimate reason is communication. Unless you have a decent base of support you've built up first, being a priest of your own tiny sect will consist of having 2-10 members of your own realm, who never talk to each other in the religion because they are already members of the same realm and have no incentive to talk to each other in the religion, and many hours, days, weeks, and months figuring out how to expand religion on your own without any other priests, elders, ex-priests, or ex-elders to get advice from. And again, if religious membership is as default as realm membership, its not about incentive, its just 'normal'. Incentive is in choosing which one, just like choosing a realm. I am suddenly reminded of parenting - asking whether a child wants to wear the green shirt or the orange shirt instead of whether they want to wear a shirt in the first place that will likely get a 'no'.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:57:18 PM by Vita »

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 11, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
I have mixed views on this. Most religions are dead. Just as some realms are dead. The way to get them not-dead is to join them and try to shake them up into doing something, not by continuing to pretend they do not exist. At the same time, especially with my EC character, I have joined and left plenty of religions that refused to do anything.
My thoughts exactly. You can't just join the religion and make it alive because church leaders are often the ones who do the least RP-wise but will actively stomp you down as a threat to their authority when you try to do something.
And as to contributional significance of modern views, as someone who has tried to share religion, I cannot count the number of times I have been rebuffed for simply 'I do not do religion'.
Yes, some players might be like that (although isn't atheism explicitly not allowed on BM?), my point is there are still many players who don't get into a religion for different reasons, like lack of interaction and information.
As someone who *has* tried to actively proselytize, its has felt quite sisyphean, resulting in myself putting less and less effort into converting others as time passed, furthering the cycle. Especially when it takes so little effort to wash out the effort put into converting. Such as temples destroyed in Fissoa, Morek, and Swordfell with little to no roleplay behind it or even against standing roleplay, which are important for being able to attract nobles in different realms by giving them a place to register at. So I can see how some get burnt out on trying to make efforts that do not pay off. Religious frustration was actually the final straw/cause of my pausing my characters. I also see some do not try, like the VE priest you mention. And, I'm not trying to single anyone out, as each realm has different folks in in, times change, and they are hardly the single instance, but in my experience, Madina is extremely isolationist and suspicious/paranoid about anything outside their realm.
In my defence, being the one who actually destroyed defunct temples in Madina, my goal was exactly to make religious leaders do something.
An SA temple in a realm where there are no SA priests or laymen is not something that adds to the game. It's not active proselytizing by any means. I specifically called SA to send a priest to preach in Madina and promised to rebuild temples if that happens. But there was no reaction. In hindsight I realize my plan wasn't very good but I can't even say I regret what I did because it made exactly zero impact on anything in the end.
Madina is not isolationist when it comes to religion either. Every priest can preach freely and no religions are banned. It's rather isolated than isolationist, no one just comes to visit.
Well, my opinion is that you should not be allowed to create a new religion if there are at least 4 religions. One dies? Open game.
That sounds really terrible. Seeing how religions tend to die de facto but go on de jure we'd just end up with 4 defunct but undying religions no one cares about every time.
And again, I would say the ultimate reason is communication.
I was a member of a fairly large religion on Atamara and communication was pretty much limited to three high-ranking characters continuously telling me to know my place as an acolyte. Needless to say there was no chance of being elevated in rank either. It's not as simple as you present it to be.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:05:30 PM by Constantine »

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 11, 2016, 01:10:32 PM »
Ah, religion, I'm tempted to do one, but at the same time, I wish I had a second character to do it with. A monster/undead worshipping one in Westgard just seems so fitting.
Like my programming? Become my patron!