Author Topic: Military chain improvements  (Read 4621 times)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Military chain improvements
« Topic Start: July 12, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »
I'm posting this on behalf of another player who does not have an account here. He plays the General and Marshals role with several characters (or at least has).

He listed some improvements he would deem interesting for the military chain in general. Since I would love to hear other people's view on this, I wanted to post it here and have you all comment on it.

1. The General should be able to issue standing orders. That means you could have three players involved which works much better for cover.
2. The standing orders are a nightmare to use on the phone, be great if that was sorted.
3. The Marshal/Vice-Marshal positions should generate extra honour, prestige and fame. They're by far the hardest roles yet are barely recognised.
4. The Marshal's Wiki is fragmented and complicated. The command staff settings in particular need tidying up and simplifying to make it easy to understand how each setting affects the unit line settings and unit behaviour. I think we'd see more players engaging if the role were easier to learn
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Licinius

• Knight
  • Rise so high, in mud you lie.
    • View Profile
Re: Military chain improvements
« Reply #1: July 12, 2016, 03:25:32 PM »
I agree with all five points, especially standing orders for phone users. I had to "<br*>" a couple of times to make spaces so as to make standing orders readable.
I thought I was the only one having that trouble.

6) A minor feature but perhaps allow Generals to add gold to warchest?

Hic Sunt Leones,
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:08:55 PM by Licinius »
Rise so high, in mud you lie.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 12, 2016, 03:40:55 PM »
1. I absolutely disagree. Generals are strategists, Marshals lead the armies. If generals are able to do everything a marshal can, what's the point of having marshals and vice-marshals? Seeing how controlling some generals already are, with this implemented marshals will become an honourary title.

2. True.

3. Someone's greedy.

4. True. Maybe your friend will be the one to undertake this project.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 12, 2016, 05:17:44 PM »
I agree with Constantine, especially on points 1 and 4.

On 3, there have been the occasional improvements to marshals (leadership bonus some months ago). Marshals and dukes were implemented later so there are likely parts that are not entirely par with other positions (dukes don't have h/p loss for stepping down for instance...oops).

I don't agree with Licinius's point 6 (which is really point 5), but I have wondered about letting any noble in the army contribute to their army warchest.

EDIT: Looking at Standing Orders bullet 2. First off, the editor we use only has mobile support for Safari and Chrome, if the box sizing itself is the issue. Second, I'll continue to look if there are any other improvements, but if someone would share any other mobile concerns on the Standing Orders edit page, please do.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 05:31:59 PM by Vita »

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: July 12, 2016, 06:27:23 PM »
1. The General should be able to issue standing orders. That means you could have three players involved which works much better for cover.

-No. Just no. If this happens, what is the point of having marshals? I'd just take over every army and order them one by one.

2. The standing orders are a nightmare to use on the phone, be great if that was sorted.

-Would be nice for phone users.

3. The Marshal/Vice-Marshal positions should generate extra honour, prestige and fame. They're by far the hardest roles yet are barely recognised.

-Eh would be nice for honor and prestige farming.

4. The Marshal's Wiki is fragmented and complicated. The command staff settings in particular need tidying up and simplifying to make it easy to understand how each setting affects the unit line settings and unit behaviour. I think we'd see more players engaging if the role were easier to learn

-Wouldn't mind to see someone fix this. But you can work around it with custom settings. Screw marshal settings. Those are for lazy people.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 12, 2016, 06:34:10 PM »
I agree with Constantine, especially on points 1 and 4.

On 3, there have been the occasional improvements to marshals (leadership bonus some months ago). Marshals and dukes were implemented later so there are likely parts that are not entirely par with other positions (dukes don't have h/p loss for stepping down for instance...oops).

I don't agree with Licinius's point 6 (which is really point 5), but I have wondered about letting any noble in the army contribute to their army warchest.

Having been both a General and a Marshal before, the Standing orders are largely a strategic thing anyways. If you try to use them tactically, in the way a Marshal has to give orders, you'll often run into the issue of having your latest orders contradict the standing orders because you'd have to update them every single turn. Since standing orders are supposed to be just that, standing, it only follows that they are meant for more long term orders like rallying locations and general activities for each army. Which again, would fall under the General, not the Marshal. In fact, most Marshals I have seen lately don't even bother with standing orders because updating them every day is such a pain in the ass. If not allowing them to be updated by both Generals and Marshals, at least make them General only, we're more likely to use them to their full potential.

I agree with Wimpie on number 3, Marshal positions are not rewarding enough. It's very hard to find people willing to take up the responsibility, especially as the only benefits are indirect.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 12, 2016, 06:36:24 PM »

-No. Just no. If this happens, what is the point of having marshals? I'd just take over every army and order them one by one.
--Standing orders for the General would make more sense in the first place. If your general is giving specific orders to each army, they're likely to be micromanaging whether or not they have standing orders because they don't know how to delegate/don't have anyone to delegate to.

Zakilevo

« Reply #7: July 12, 2016, 06:48:45 PM »
I wouldn't mind having generals being able to give standard order to MARSHALS AND VICE MARSHALS not to armies directly.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 12, 2016, 06:53:32 PM »
May I introduce you to the General's Bulletin?

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: July 12, 2016, 06:56:33 PM »
May I introduce you to the General's Bulletin?

Uh no. Why would i want everyone to see my strategy? GB is for telling people where paraphernalia are...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 12, 2016, 06:59:15 PM »
Uh no. Why would i want everyone to see my strategy? GB is for telling people where paraphernalia are...

Oh, for Cthulhu's sake, get out of that 2005 "gotta keep all the information away from the spies that must be trying to get at it!" mentality. That's one of the things that's killing this game.

Share more information realmwide, not less.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 12, 2016, 07:10:49 PM »
Oh, for Cthulhu's sake, get out of that 2005 "gotta keep all the information away from the spies that must be trying to get at it!" mentality. That's one of the things that's killing this game.

Share more information realmwide, not less.

I agree, although there are still cases where you don't want to when you know there are spies. But in essense I agree with you on this one.

Also these days having active marshals is a luxury (or have I been in the wrong realms?). In many cases the General is also the marshal of the only army in most realms I know. Even if they're not, I don't really see why you would want him to update the standing orders? They work crap anyway if you use them for daily orders.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 12, 2016, 07:32:21 PM »
Anaris, that's not the only reason not to use the General's Bulletin. There's also the fact that the only time most people even look at it is the first time they enter the realm.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 12, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
Anaris, that's not the only reason not to use the General's Bulletin. There's also the fact that the only time most people even look at it is the first time they enter the realm.

I didn't say it was. It was, however, the reason he gave.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 12, 2016, 07:40:57 PM »
Let me remind you that they are not my suggestions, I tend to keep away from Military Chain positions.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)