Author Topic: How to improve the game without changing mechanics  (Read 16648 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Except Fontan anno 2005 or so, I mean seriously guys 120 messages per turn?

"at this point"

Victor C

• Board Moderator
  • Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
I don't think there's any realm that should be worried about keeping down message traffic, at this point.

Swordfell on dwilight. I didn't check in for a few hours and found 60 new messages..... Long story short, it was a heated debate.

This happened probably less than a month ago.
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Swordfell on dwilight. I didn't check in for a few hours and found 60 new messages..... Long story short, it was a heated debate.

This happened probably less than a month ago.

With other words, this was once and not a regular thing? Because then you might wait a day with sending the message, but that's it. I know no realm where you shouldn't just send everything out and go for it.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Victor C

• Board Moderator
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
With other words, this was once and not a regular thing? Because then you might wait a day with sending the message, but that's it. I know no realm where you shouldn't just send everything out and go for it.

Actually it IS a regular thing in Swordfell...
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
get ready for a burst of activity then. :3

Victor C

• Board Moderator
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
get ready for a burst of activity then. :3

Oh no... HELP! Someone get the Daimons and put them between us! There's a duke you will just LOVE I tell you.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Here's a new one, peace tours. When a war ends part of the peace terms should be allowing diplomats to tour the realms (or key parts of them) and endorse the new peace among the people (by praising the former foe in regions that have deep disdain for them). This gives diplomats more to do and creates new possibilities for intrigue and betrayal.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Here's a new one, peace tours. When a war ends part of the peace terms should be allowing diplomats to tour the realms (or key parts of them) and endorse the new peace among the people (by praising the former foe in regions that have deep disdain for them). This gives diplomats more to do and creates new possibilities for intrigue and betrayal.

I like this, a pity it wasn't proposed back when realms had a lot more nobles (and thus courtiers).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I like this, a pity it wasn't proposed back when realms had a lot more nobles (and thus courtiers).

Well I do have a diplomat in East Continent, so next time a war rolls around I'll be sure to propose it. It could also be done amongst new allies.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Well I do have a diplomat in East Continent, so next time a war rolls around I'll be sure to propose it. It could also be done amongst new allies.

1 diplomat alone is probably not goig to be all that fun...

I had an ambassador with maxed out oratory skill, great bureaucracy skill, and I did that (while "trading" or during random RP events), and it took a long time to not yield much of a result. Really you'd want like 6 highly skilled ambassadors at the same time spread through the realm to have much of an impact. And their own diplomats and ambassadors can then come and undo your work for free, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
1 diplomat alone is probably not goig to be all that fun...

I had an ambassador with maxed out oratory skill, great bureaucracy skill, and I did that (while "trading" or during random RP events), and it took a long time to not yield much of a result. Really you'd want like 6 highly skilled ambassadors at the same time spread through the realm to have much of an impact. And their own diplomats and ambassadors can then come and undo your work for free, though.

I've been able to make some changes in a reasonable time frame.

To get a stronger effect and more interaction from the arrangement the realms ambassadors and diplomats could pair off and tour together. They can combine their skills to spread peace and while they're at it discuss which realm has been giving them funny looks.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I've been able to make some changes in a reasonable time frame.

To get a stronger effect and more interaction from the arrangement the realms ambassadors and diplomats could pair off and tour together. They can combine their skills to spread peace and while they're at it discuss which realm has been giving them funny looks.

True, if both realms have ambassadors that are good sport. I kind of get the feeling though that, being anonymous, the defeated realm would just do the opposite work without saying so. "Gee, those peasants sure are stubborn, aren't they?"

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
True, if both realms have ambassadors that are good sport. I kind of get the feeling though that, being anonymous, the defeated realm would just do the opposite work without saying so. "Gee, those peasants sure are stubborn, aren't they?"

That's the beauty of it. New conflicts can develop on the diplomatic front. If I think the other ambassador is undermining our efforts maybe I'll hire a foreign infiltrator to put him out of commission for a while.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
That's the beauty of it. New conflicts can develop on the diplomatic front. If I think the other ambassador is undermining our efforts maybe I'll hire a foreign infiltrator to put him out of commission for a while.

Though I doubt that particular scenario would play out, a "you owe us X gold per week until all of your regions love us" could work.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Though I doubt that particular scenario would play out, a "you owe us X gold per week until all of your regions love us" could work.

There's an idea. However I don't think it would be typical for this to be an every region thing. It would make more sense to stick to border states that were hit hard during the war and the capitals of both realms. Every region would only be viable in smaller realms.